3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension Time

Old 02-26-2006, 07:47 PM
I miss my VE

Suspension Time

While doing my axles over the weekened at my dads garage up in NJ, we decided it's time for a few minor improvements. Seeing as to how my suspension is pretty much used and abused we got quite an interesting idea. While we got the car up on stands, why not just do everything Or at least what we can before having to go back in there for a long time. Leaving the car gutted up with fresh shiney axles, and waiting for it's new improvements, I am trying to make a list of the things I will need. Ball joints are going in next week.. Also fresh Brembo Blanks with some Metal Master pads as well. But back on subject, after searching around, definatly going for the Eibach/Koni combo Man those Konis are pricey. Just wanted to make sure of a few things.

1)While Im in there, what else would you guys recommend replacing? I don't think Im ready for Matt's goodies yet, but like any special bushings to get, etc?

2)To you experienced guys, how much of a drop would be ideal for a car like this? My driving basically consists of some city/mostly highway, but I want to get the most from my drop without going overboard.

3)Are the Eibachs only available with a 1.2 inch drop?

Really appreciate any good advice you guys can give me as usual. I'll throw in some pics later of the cars evolution, so this thread won't be worthless. Thanks alot
Old 02-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by VEvolution
While doing my axles over the weekened at my dads garage up in NJ, we decided it's time for a few minor improvements. Seeing as to how my suspension is pretty much used and abused we got quite an interesting idea. While we got the car up on stands, why not just do everything Or at least what we can before having to go back in there for a long time. Leaving the car gutted up with fresh shiney axles, and waiting for it's new improvements, I am trying to make a list of the things I will need. Ball joints are going in next week.. Also fresh Brembo Blanks with some Metal Master pads as well. But back on subject, after searching around, definatly going for the Eibach/Koni combo Man those Konis are pricey. Just wanted to make sure of a few things.

1)While Im in there, what else would you guys recommend replacing? I don't think Im ready for Matt's goodies yet, but like any special bushings to get, etc?

2)To you experienced guys, how much of a drop would be ideal for a car like this? My driving basically consists of some city/mostly highway, but I want to get the most from my drop without going overboard.

3)Are the Eibachs only available with a 1.2 inch drop?

Really appreciate any good advice you guys can give me as usual. I'll throw in some pics later of the cars evolution, so this thread won't be worthless. Thanks alot

if you want to replace everything then do it. Outer tie rods and boots, poly bushings in the control arm (might as well do rear as well). You already mentioned ball joints.

Eibachs will be great. They are the best performing of all but not an extreme drop. The ride will be better than all the really low drops.

Yes Eibachs only come in 1.2 drop.

Also if you want Koni just be ready to leave it up on jack stands for a while. According to some on here that jsut ordered them there are none in the US and will take a little while to get here.

For front poly bushings check Matt (not sure if he sells them) or Brian (internetautobart), for rear poly bushings check courtesyparts.com.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Way out West

I love my Eibachs. Not dropped too low (no scraping) handle excellent and are very comfortable.

I recommend you buy new strut dust boots. The stock ones are probably shot.

I think Michael covered pretty much everything else.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:04 PM
I miss my VE

Thanks Michael and Chris.. This isn't good news about the Konis. Thats some popular shocks if they aren't even available for the time being. Im guessing Brian doesn't have any either.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:59 PM
mod or sell?

I may be able to come up with some depending on when they are ordered.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

IMHO. I'd replace most if not all of the rubber bushings. ie.. Control arm/tie rod/ball joints. If you get springs/shocks/swaybars, it will greatly improve the ride but exacerbate the worn bushing problem. ie.. it will always be a tag "loose". Ever wonder why new cars seem to handle pretty good even though they are on totally stock suspensions? New bushings.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I may be able to come up with some depending on when they are ordered.
Cool.. I'll try to put the order in as soon as I can.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
IMHO. I'd replace most if not all of the rubber bushings. ie.. Control arm/tie rod/ball joints. If you get springs/shocks/swaybars, it will greatly improve the ride but exacerbate the worn bushing problem. ie.. it will always be a tag "loose". Ever wonder why new cars seem to handle pretty good even though they are on totally stock suspensions? New bushings.
Good point.. I'll try my best to replace as many as possible.

----------------

I also noticed one of the ball joints that was already in the car had a grease fitting. I remember reading that ours came sealed. Which do ya'll perfer?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
mod or sell?

greasable.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I miss my VE

Why would you say that? Greasable need to be serviced, while the sealed ones don't. Last much longer if serviced?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
mod or sell?

the sealed ones you have no way of replenishing the grease as it's used up.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

At least buy a Stage II LTB. It doesn't add any ride harshess or noise. I have one on both my 3rdGens and the difference is most impressive.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:57 PM

Speaking of which Brian.... My Koni's still on a boat somewhere between here and Denmark?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:00 PM
mod or sell?

hmm... good question
Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM

I feel as though my hopes are rising only to be crushed

I hope they can make it next week, I'm leaving for Cali the following week, and I'd hate not to be here when they arrive.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 PM
mod or sell?

Koni themselves is doing the actual shipping
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I miss my VE

I always believed they were designed so that the grease wouldn't need to be used up.

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
At least buy a Stage II LTB. It doesn't add any ride harshess or noise. I have one on both my 3rdGens and the difference is most impressive.
Hm, thanks. Any ground clearance issues?

Originally Posted by kcidmil
I feel as though my hopes are rising only to be crushed

I hope they can make it next week, I'm leaving for Cali the following week, and I'd hate not to be here when they arrive.
Some of the best things in life are worth waiting for.. In this case, it's the Konis
Old 03-02-2006, 04:31 AM

I always believed they were designed so that the grease wouldn't need to be used up.
Heat, along with wear and tear will cause the internal grease to break down.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 AM

Hm, thanks. Any ground clearance issues?
No. I am running damn near a two inch drop (Intrax springs) with no problems.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 AM

Trying to post pictures of Koni's with Eibach,however..

I'm new to the forum, unable to even start a thread.
Any help with attaching a pic. of an Eibach setup with Koni's RED would be appreciated. Cant comment on the ride and handling of the car since I recently purchased the car and I'm still trying to get the engine started.
I can say that this particular setup looks really sweet!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
I'm new to the forum, unable to even start a thread.
Any help with attaching a pic. of an Eibach setup with Koni's RED would be appreciated. Cant comment on the ride and handling of the car since I recently purchased the car and I'm still trying to get the engine started.
I can say that this particular setup looks really sweet!
You cant start a thread until you get to 15 posts. This is to help stop the spammers that we had problems with.

For posting pictures just reply to a thread, make sure the picture is hosted on a site that allows external linking and then click this button above the message box and paste your link into it.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:58 AM

Konis paired with Eibach's

Mike thanks a "million" for the info. I either didnt read the registration information properly or that information wasnt there.Again, thanks.

My red max was purchased about 2 weeks ago. The other max has been in my possesion for about 7 mnths. Both vehicles have the sought after VLSD. (Tranny code V)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2281704/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2281720
Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Are the tie rod ends that you sell greasable?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I miss my VE

Heat, along with wear and tear will cause the internal grease to break down.
I figured they would come up with a design that minimized that from happening since they are permanently sealed.. Oh well.

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
No. I am running damn near a two inch drop (Intrax springs) with no problems.
Sounds good. Can't wait to pick one up

My red max was purchased about 2 weeks ago. The other max has been in my possesion for about 7 mnths. Both vehicles have the sought after VLSD. (Tranny code V)
It's not sought after. They all have it pretty much in the US. Not sure about the 4th gen though.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 AM

I figured they would come up with a design that minimized that from happening since they are permanently sealed.. Oh well.
Technology has allowed most of the items built to last for quite a long time. But where I work, items that are greasable, last almost a 2-3 years longer. Of course, they're more prone to damage to the fact that some people may not grease them on schedule.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by aksansai
Are the tie rod ends that you sell greasable?
most of the time yes, however I sometimes have to source from a different supplier so they aren't always greaseable
Old 03-02-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:

It's not sought after. They all have it pretty much in the US. Not sure about the 4th gen though.

How do you define "pretty much" on a ratio scale? I bel.(correct me if I'm wrong) that the VLSD would be more expensive to manufacture. This would mean that a premium or higher pricing would be required. The masses would opt. for the cheaper product if they dont find it absolutely necessary. Hence vehicles that come in various trims that's tailored for an individual's budget.

Sought means to locate, to search for. It doesnt necessarily mean there is a shortage of an item hence the "crazed search".

To simplify what I'm saying consider this:
If you were searching for a 5 speed 3rd gen Max, would you search for the Vlsd model as opposed to the non VLSD (All things being equal)? Also, what do you think other members would seek if presented with the exact scenario.
Based on my readings here, it seems everyone would opt for the VLSD if given that option because it apparenlty seems to be more durable.
Maybe a poll can be conducted if anyone finds it worthwhile.

Lastly, the topic of this thread is going on a tangent. In the short time I've being here and from what I've perused I've concluded that some members are simply waiting for another person to simply disagree with "their opinion" in order to crucify them.
I maybe wrong and you maybe right, at the end of the day "Does it really matter"?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Quote:

How do you define "pretty much" on a ratio scale? I bel.(correct me if I'm wrong) that the VLSD would be more expensive to manufacture. This would mean that a premium or higher pricing would be required. The masses would opt. for the cheaper product if they dont find it absolutely necessary. Hence vehicles that come in various trims that's tailored for an individual's budget.

Sought means to locate, to search for. It doesnt necessarily mean there is a shortage of an item hence the "crazed search".

To simplify what I'm saying consider this:
If you were searching for a 5 speed 3rd gen Max, would you search for the Vlsd model as opposed to the non VLSD (All things being equal)? Also, what do you think other members would seek if presented with the exact scenario.
Based on my readings here, it seems everyone would opt for the VLSD if given that option because it apparenlty seems to be more durable.
Maybe a poll can be conducted if anyone finds it worthwhile.

Lastly, the topic of this thread is going on a tangent. In the short time I've being here and from what I've perused I've concluded that some members are simply waiting for another person to simply disagree with "their opinion" in order to crucify them.
I maybe wrong and you maybe right, at the end of the day "Does it really matter"?

woah lol. He was just saying that all 3rd gen VEs (92-94 SEs) had VLSD...thats all. There are rumors that some VEs didnt have VLSD but I have yet to see one.

So yeah most people are seeking VE 3rd gens which automatically means they are searching for the VLSD transmissions.

it was not an option at all for VG 3rd gens (89-91SE,89-94GXE).

dont get so defensive so quickly...he just read your post in a different way from how you meant it. Nobody wants to crucify you for your opinions.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:01 PM

If you are on a budget like I was, the KYB shocks are an excellent choice. I would also replace the tie rod ends - outer (Moog Brand). Then get an alignment once all is done.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I miss my VE

Technology has allowed most of the items built to last for quite a long time. But where I work, items that are greasable, last almost a 2-3 years longer. Of course, they're more prone to damage to the fact that some people may not grease them on schedule.
Yep, I was begining to think that too. How often would you recommend them being greased? Each oil change?

Originally Posted by Michael
woah lol. He was just saying that all 3rd gen VEs (92-94 SEs) had VLSD...thats all. There are rumors that some VEs didnt have VLSD but I have yet to see one.

So yeah most people are seeking VE 3rd gens which automatically means they are searching for the VLSD transmissions.

it was not an option at all for VG 3rd gens (89-91SE,89-94GXE).

dont get so defensive so quickly...he just read your post in a different way from how you meant it. Nobody wants to crucify you for your opinions.
Thanks for saving me the typing.

Originally Posted by ArcticDC5
If you are on a budget like I was, the KYB shocks are an excellent choice. I would also replace the tie rod ends - outer (Moog Brand). Then get an alignment once all is done.
Yeah, the KYBs would be a good choice, but it's more of a stock replacement. Im lookin for a bit more.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:52 PM

We do our oil changes on a 6 month basis, though some don't actually get the oil changed, but everything is greased.

I say every at least every 6 months, but every oil change wouldn't hurt. Some of my cars goes MONTHS without an oil change. I believe my current oil in the Maxima is close to 6-7 months old. My truck is coming up on it's 5th month.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:56 PM
I miss my VE

We do our oil changes on a 6 month basis, though some don't actually get the oil changed, but everything is greased.

I say every at least every 6 months, but every oil change wouldn't hurt. Some of my cars goes MONTHS without an oil change. I believe my current oil in the Maxima is close to 6-7 months old. My truck is coming up on it's 5th month.
Gotta start changin that oil a bit more often. Who knows how well that filters workin after that long, ya know.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Considering oil was never in the filter, should be just fine Trust me, I've worked on vehicles that have sat for years.

Plus I've only put about 500 miles in those 6-7 months.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Alex_V

Its not the months that matter its the miles and abuse. Well if its sat for a long time w/o driving or starting then Id replace them but if its in kcidmils positon it can go 3K miles no problem.

~Alex

Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 PM
I miss my VE

Considering oil was never in the filter, should be just fine Trust me, I've worked on vehicles that have sat for years.

Plus I've only put about 500 miles in those 6-7 months.
My mistake then.. I always figured that oil gets a bit crappy over time even if you don't use it. Just checked in my text book.. Seems it doesn't matter. The filter does turn to crap if you keep starting the car just to move it without letting it reach full operating temp.

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Its not the months that matter its the miles and abuse. Well if its sat for a long time w/o driving or starting then Id replace them but if its in kcidmils positon it can go 3K miles no problem.

~Alex
So if it sat for a long time without driving, why would you replace both if you say it doesn't matter?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:22 PM
I miss my VE

Update!

I really think Im missing something about compressing springs, because something just isn't workin out for me. I got one strut ready to go after a few very annoying tries, but I guess I got lucky. I thought I knew where to set the compressor after the first success(lowest point, and the next lowest point on the oppisate side) but I guess I still don't, cause we just could not allign the top with the center. Am I doing something wrong here? Im sure there is a very easy way of doing this, but Im missing it, and don't have much time to keep trying different methods. I'd really appreciate if somebody can mark the proper compressor points for me in the second pic asap, thanks.

Here are the old ones from the front we pulled.. Not a pretty site.

And my issue.. Im sure you guys who do this on a regular basis will notice where my problem lies judging from the pic.

Edit: I was just staring at the pic, trying to figure out my mistake.. Uumm, I think I got it. I think I need to go one point higher from the bottom, thats all. Would that be it? I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:01 PM

I believe this would be a more relevant thread for this question, not trying to hijack

I just got my maxima yesterday and i got some questions that relate to this thread. I would like some 18" rims but as you guys said i should lower it first. What is better combo KYB/Eibach or Tokicos/Eibach. I would like good handeling but not huge sacrifice in ride comfort. Furthermore i live in Vancouver canada, anyone know good place to orderfrom/get installed?(read cheap) =)
Old 03-08-2006, 11:50 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Sean@Home
I believe this would be a more relevant thread for this question, not trying to hijack

I just got my maxima yesterday and i got some questions that relate to this thread. I would like some 18" rims but as you guys said i should lower it first. What is better combo KYB/Eibach or Tokicos/Eibach. I would like good handeling but not huge sacrifice in ride comfort. Furthermore i live in Vancouver canada, anyone know good place to orderfrom/get installed?(read cheap) =)
Your not trying to hijack, yet you go ahead and post the same thing in another thread? What are you doing then? Do me a favor and deleat your post from my thread. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:29 PM

Your not trying to hijack, yet you go ahead and post the same thing in another thread? What are you doing then? Do me a favor and deleat your post from my thread. Thanks.
Relax man, i had just forgot to delete it from the other thread. was an honest mistake, I thought this thread suited the question better after i had already posted in the other one. Dont be such a ****.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:43 PM
I miss my VE

Honestly I think that thread would have been more to your liking since you want some 18's. BTW, Where do you get off feeling any thread is suited for your question? Anyway, thats not the reason why I acted that way. It just REALLY irritates me when newbies such as yourself come in here just looking for help, and after they get what they need, you never see them again. They don't even wait until they get 15 posts by being a part of the forum to start their own pointless thread. They think they are so important and need the advise/help so soon, that they hijack numerous threads with the same crap thats been answered in the stickies dozens of times. They are just here to use this place for their needs and waste space. If you feel anything I said you didn't do, please fill me in. What you did is inconsiderate, and you have no right to call me anything.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:59 AM

Honestly man your just pre-judging me. I just got a maxima out of the blue few days ago and im in love, i have some money to invest in it and i figured Maxima.org would be the best place to start. I planned on showing my progress and contributeing to the forum. I had no plans of just jumping on for info and leaving. I guess this isn't the thread to ask about suspension............oh wait thats exactly what it is and your just pompous **** that thinks that its somehow exclusive to your questions.

Ps. I would have made my own thread but post count not high enough, i think i need to contribute to more threads but apparently not yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Time