3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

And the fun shall begin

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 06:27 AM

And the fun shall begin

My new truck will be here Tuesday, so now I shall start preparing for the big overhaul. Engine and tranny are coming out.

Now I've done this a few times on much bigger vehicles... come to think of it, I've done it more times than I care to remember. Anyway, the R-12 is going to be evacuated this Friday, and I'll start my tear down Saturday.

What is the most stubborn thing to come off besides the exhaust line bolts?

BTW... picked up my hood while I was down visiting my folks, there's some minor work to be done... 2 dents to drill and patch, and the great ole fireworks the driving owner had set off on the hood has messed with the body lines. But what can I complain about for only $15.

For those wondering why I'm going to bother with this hood, my current hood was a shooting gallery for Hail.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:36 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by kcidmil

BTW... picked up my hood while I was down visiting my folks, there's some minor work to be done... 2 dents to drill and patch, and the great ole fireworks the driving owner had set off on the hood has messed with the body lines. But what can I complain about for only $15.

For those wondering why I'm going to bother with this hood, my current hood was a shooting gallery for Hail.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:59 AM

hmmm just your hood?? my entire car was the target, suprised i had any glass left on my car, about ever inch there is a dent on my hood, its terrible......if things go as planned by end of summer she'll have a new paint job though .....maybe the stillen body kit???

are you planning on just rebuilding it??....or......BUILDING IT, hahaha. make it a monster!!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:20 AM

A build/Rebuild... LOL

Oh the entire car was a shooting gallery, I just think the hood was the bullseye.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:52 PM

no joke, i almost cried when i saw what the hail had done to mine, lol

what all ya plannin on doin to it as far as engine goes?
Old 05-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Umm... just about everything that JWT offers for the VG30E motor, a complete tear down, and rebuild with any needed machining repairs.

Tranny rebuild, new filters,, new vacuum hoses... etc

Mine has had hail damage for a long time, I'm just getting around to fixing it.

I wish I could get some different gearing in the tranny. While it has a lot low end power, top end is non-existent around 125 mph. Though I have buried the needle before.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:36 PM

i switched the cluster with the ve cluster....lets say i've came close to the end of it......but i didn't say that

dude thats going to be sweet, my plan is just drive the car till the engine quits then rebuild/build it up like you're planning, but right now its running perfect so i'm not complaining, just planning on body work right now, and a garage, and hire this dude to follow me around and watch my car so if it hails he can lay across at least part of it to shield it....hahaha......
Old 05-06-2006, 06:42 PM

lol

I wasn't really planning on doing the build now, but I sold my Colorado, and I want a Full size truck, and Diesel. I got a guy that's going to go in with me on a Bio-diesel setup.

With the amount of parts and work I plan on doing, it's looking to be 1-2 years before I'm done.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:07 PM

whoa!!!! 1-2 years......eeeeeesh, just too many projects at one time slowing you down or what?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:08 PM

Funds mainly, plus with my job, there's a possibility of having a 6 months of now work.

I'm going to strip the entire car.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:21 PM
mod or sell?

only 1-2 years?
dang I'm at 10yrs on my project car and I haven't even removed a body panel yet.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
only 1-2 years?
dang I'm at 10yrs on my project car and I haven't even removed a body panel yet.

well ya gotta start by removing the screws...i know.....i got hung up there too.....lol dad and i put 18 hours into my car this weekend, detailed the interior and rewired my stereo and put in my new sub and amp......however my left rear speaker blew lol (music was toooooooooo loud) and my cd player finally kicked the bucket.....
Old 05-07-2006, 06:06 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ghostridden
well ya gotta start by removing the screws...i know.....i got hung up there too.....lol dad and i put 18 hours into my car this weekend, detailed the interior and rewired my stereo and put in my new sub and amp......however my left rear speaker blew lol (music was toooooooooo loud) and my cd player finally kicked the bucket.....
you remove screws

I thought I would just keep leaving it at the body shop and magically it would be restored.

I know it didn't work the first time, so that's why I let it hibernate over the winter so it can heal it's rust wounds.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:41 AM

yea i use to believe in the magic screw removing fairy.....
then i realized that the fairy was lazy so i had to do it all myself.....dang fairies
Old 05-07-2006, 12:01 PM
mod or sell?

I need the rejuvenate rubber fairies for my car
Old 05-09-2006, 12:55 PM

uhh tires i'm guessing?? lol while you're at it get 18's
Old 05-09-2006, 02:31 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ghostridden
uhh tires i'm guessing?? lol while you're at it get 18's
nope, weatherstripping and bushings 27 years will do that to a car
Old 05-09-2006, 03:10 PM

i hear ya on the bushings.....mine are shot
Old 05-09-2006, 04:57 PM
nikousa2004

ignore me

its just my first post (out of 15) i heard u hav to post 15 times before posting new thread. well ok 14 bla bla left

Old 05-09-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by nikousa2004
its just my first post (out of 15) i heard u hav to post 15 times before posting new thread. well ok 14 bla bla left

Good reason to be banned.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:32 PM

Yeah I have to agree with that just a little. Something more along the lines of "Hey, I just joined the org, and was thinking of doing the same thing to my car"

But I do have to give props for being honest...

The rest of you need to quit using the white powdery substance, I know it's great to use in coffee and helps make the day go by faster... but you all just get plain weird.

BTW... anyone selling a Pigmat Fairy... I'm going to have to drain the oil and everything, and really don't want to keep running the oil over to a collection point
Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 PM

i just hired me one last week, i shouldn't have....

and weird is fun

so when ya think you'll get started on the project?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Alex_V

lol

I wasn't really planning on doing the build now, but I sold my Colorado, and I want a Full size truck, and Diesel. I got a guy that's going to go in with me on a Bio-diesel setup.

With the amount of parts and work I plan on doing, it's looking to be 1-2 years before I'm done.
Pfft. you posted 11-23 months early dude. Friggen all talk no work.

j/p. Im glad some ones going to finaly build a good VG. What compression are you going with? Im thinking of getting a VG or VE to build. I have a VG now thats a good candidate for it but I dont know the condition of the vavle train. Any way sounds like a good project. what are you doing to tune it? Any thing?

~Alex

Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 PM

Friday the Max goes in to have the R-12 evacuated, and I'll bring it back home and pull the hood off, as well as start draining the oil and such.

Saturday I plan to have a lot of the accessories off as well as the heads. But I don't want to rush, and I want to make sure I get everything tagged properly.

I have a few things from JWT I have in mind. As well as replacing all the gaskets, oil pump (easy to do while the block is out of the car) and taking measurements to ensure the block and heads are fine. I've been doing some searching to find something that will give me a higher compression ratio as I'm not going to turbo it.

I'm also having the tranny rebuilt, though I'd much rather have the gearing changed to help spread out the power more.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 AM

i had somethin similar in mind, but i decided to put it off for now, i didn't wanna go with a turbo because it takes forever to spool and with my car being manual it'll have to build spool up each gear, dunno if there is enough room for a supercharger, so i was going towards a NA tuned engine and try to spread out the gears more, with the extra power it'd make it easier to pull 5th faster if i changed the gear ratio
Old 05-13-2006, 11:37 AM

Well things are progressing really well... for now. I have quite a bit off, but still have a long way to go. The upper intake manifold is ready to come off, but I need to pick up some hex-bit sockets. Plus I need to stop for lunch.

Getting all the connections tagges is what's taking the longest.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:09 AM

Anyone have some A/T C/V Axles they want to trade for some Manual ones?

I was working on pulling the starter and clutch line when I looked up and noticed my axles. I remember before I got my clutch that I used to have solid shafts, the new ones I got have the rubber bushings in the middle. Explains why some of my take offs have been rough.

I'm going to back to the auto versions because the solid burnout they allowed makes it nice for those times I'll take it to the strip.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
mod or sell?

um, the VG axles are supposed to be the same whether A/T or M/T
Old 05-17-2006, 03:57 PM

Well the 1st set I had were solid, the set I have now has a rubber bushings on the shaft...

According to Chiltons, there is a difference. But we all know how much to trust chiltons. I'm looking at the FSM now to see if I can find anything.

You happen to find out anything on that UDP Brian?

Found it... page FA-14 on the diagram of the transaxle.
Dynamic Damper- for M/T models: installed on right drive shaft
Though what i have doesn't look anything like it. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I go back out to work on it some more.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:53 PM
mod or sell?

I forgot to call :doh:
Old 06-28-2006, 01:26 PM

hey kcidmil, where you getting your stuff to rebuild the tranny from?? my car is fixin to go undergo rebuild also because it seems as my head gasket blew
so i'm trying to find out where to get the tranny rebuild and engine rebuild pieces, thnx man
Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 AM

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I've been busy with work, the Max, and my new Truck. I'm ready to pull the motor and tranny, and waiting on the strut boots to finish my front struts.

I'm getting the tranny done locally. Here's where I'm getting my pistons from.
www.importperformanceparts.net

BTW... for those that are wondering. I'm going with 88mm pistons at 10-1 comp. Stage 1 JWT cams. I was thinking of getting Stage 2, to hear get that slight chug out of the motor. But the car is a IMPORT, so I thought it would be a little too weird.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:48 PM

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I've been busy with work, the Max, and my new Truck. I'm ready to pull the motor and tranny, and waiting on the strut boots to finish my front struts.

I'm getting the tranny done locally. Here's where I'm getting my pistons from.
www.importperformanceparts.net

BTW... for those that are wondering. I'm going with 88mm pistons at 10-1 comp. Stage 1 JWT cams. I was thinking of getting Stage 2, to hear get that slight chug out of the motor. But the car is a IMPORT, so I thought it would be a little too weird.

may be an import but would still be cool, lol
Old 06-30-2006, 04:55 PM

Well they suggest that the cams are only good for manual trannies. And Cattman lists them as recommended for Turbo applications only. I wonder if I could talk to JWT and work out a deal...
Old 07-01-2006, 06:06 PM

Well here's a latest pic for you all. I should be pulling everything tomorrow. Also here's a link to see my new truck... well the next truck to occupy my drive way. www.cardomain.com/id/kcidmil

Old 07-02-2006, 07:15 AM

dude your car got jacked!!!! took your engine and ****!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:56 AM

nah really though, where did you get the thing to take the engine out, (cherry picker i'm guessing?) and how much was it
Old 07-02-2006, 10:14 AM

Got it from Sam's Club, around $170. Came with the load leveler.