3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.
View Poll Results: DIY or Shop?
DIY
12.12%
Shop
87.88%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel Alignment - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I miss my VE

Wheel Alignment - DIY?

Just wanted to know how many of you do this yourself? Im getting very annoyed by shops having anything to do with my car(mechanic free for almost 1 year), but since I lack the tools and knowledge of a proper wheel allignment job without using an allignment machine, Im forced(like most) to take it to a shop and wait on line and have some punk do it, who could care less about the car hes workin on. Overtorqued nuts are a must around here.

Plus after the cheap front suspension I installed a few weeks ago, which will be gone in a matter of months, including a worn steering rod joint, and messed up tires that will need to be replaced soon as well, Im asking myself if the $60 is worth it. I don't feel it is.

I've checked out some DIY links, inluding Wiking's DIY allignment(http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/18), but as most of you know, his english isn't the best out there. Another interesting tool I've seen is this right here http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/smart1.htm, but is priced beyond my reach for the moment. Anybody have any type of experience with this thing that they care to share? Is this something you DIYers do, or are we stuck with the shops on this one? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

allignments and AC are the only two things I don't do myself
Old 03-28-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
allignments and AC are the only two things I don't do myself
I say pay them and get the lifetime warranty so you can bring it back whenever, I think the warranty job runs around $80-$90 around here.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Josh
I say pay them and get the lifetime warranty so you can bring it back whenever, I think the warranty job runs around $80-$90 around here.
You pay 80-90 bucks and you get a lifetime warrenty? I don't think I've heard of something like that around here.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Way out West

Firestone has a lifetime alignment and I think it is $140. That's more than most shops charge, but if you change around your suspension at all (or you plan on keeping the car for a long time), it would be worth it.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
You pay 80-90 bucks and you get a lifetime warrenty? I don't think I've heard of something like that around here.
I should have mentioned that thats only for a front end job, I know they have a warranty for all 4 but I don't remember the cost.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm needing a caw

If you take it to joe chain alignment shops, it's a crapshoot if they actually know what they are doing. But that's one reason it's cheap.

If you spend the $ to get an alignment at a real place like a frame shop, you might get much better service, abeit at a price.

As far as diy, you could probably ball park it to something less than totally out of whack. But I bet it would take you a long time to do it decently.

BTW. Your poll is pretty invalid. Shop? Which shop? How much? Good shop or crappy shop? DIY? Who? You? Me? Matt? DIY if you could do it right. But that's one huge
IF
there
Old 03-28-2006, 04:26 PM
mod or sell?

Take it to a shop, the chances of you getting it DOBA is slim to none.
I'll pay my $45 any day to know that it's done right
Old 03-28-2006, 05:44 PM

if anyone knows the link to Wiken's web site, could you please post it. he has a do it yourself proceedure on alignment and after you read it, i bet you'll vote on "take it to a shop." with the exception of some shop offering a "sale" on alignment, Sears is the cheapest in my area.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Alex_V

That would be in the first post.

~Alex

Old 03-29-2006, 12:47 AM
I miss my VE

Thanks for the info guys. Im still not sure though at which way I'll be goin. Hopefully in the upcoming week or two, I'll get this done either way. If I end up doing it myself though, I'll be sure to pass along the knowledge.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
BTW. Your poll is pretty invalid. Shop? Which shop? How much? Good shop or crappy shop? DIY? Who? You? Me? Matt? DIY if you could do it right. But that's one huge there
Invalid? Shop or DIY.. It's pretty self explanatory. What are we talkin about here?

A huge "if" I can do it? Haha, thats a good one.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

There are good shops and crappy shops. I thought my explaination was clear

Invalid? Shop or DIY.. It's pretty self explanatory. What are we talkin about here?

A huge "if" I can do it? Haha, thats a good one.
So you can do it? If that is the case, why do you need to ask??

I COULD do it also. It's not hard. But it's hard to do RIGHT. And it's hard to do w/o it taking hours and hours. But hey by all means, have at it.

Then again, if you can do it, why post this? Yeah, if I had an alignment rack in my garage I could it too.

Just wanted to know how many of you do this yourself? Im getting very annoyed by shops having anything to do with my car(mechanic free for almost 1 year), but since I lack the tools and knowledge of a proper wheel allignment job without using an allignment machine, Im forced(like most) to take it to a shop and wait on line and have some punk do it, who could care less about the car hes workin on. Overtorqued nuts are a must around here
Old 03-29-2006, 09:15 AM
I miss my VE

There are good shops and crappy shops. I thought my explaination was clear
Yeah, but why is my poll invalid? Im asking generally who does it themselves or who takes it to a shop. Whats the sense in throwing different types of shops into the poll?

So you can do it? If that is the case, why do you need to ask??
Because I felt like it? If you look closely, I never actually asked how. Did a search, noticed there wasn't a thread like this in the 3rd gen section, so I decided to give it a try. I really don't think Im one of the people you should be giving the classic "if you have to ask" crap, trust me.

I COULD do it also. It's not hard. But it's hard to do RIGHT. And it's hard to do w/o it taking hours and hours. But hey by all means, have at it.
If you did it on an alignment rack a couple of times, you could manage to figure out how without. They weren't always around, right? I've had the luxury of using the rack a few times, and know whats involved. Have you?

Then again, if you can do it, why post this? Yeah, if I had an alignment rack in my garage I could it too.
Because theres more then one way to do something, and some are easier then others? Why do I have to explain this to you? Maybe some can benefit from a thread like this if Im successful, unlike most other threads out here. Why hound me with wise cracks, "IF" How about helping me out with the subject at hand instead. You didn't even ask what setting is out of whack.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah, but why is my poll invalid? Im asking generally who does it themselves or who takes it to a shop. Whats the sense in throwing different types of shops into the poll?
Because if there is a good/cheap shop, why do it yourself? Right?

Because I felt like it? If you look closely, I never actually asked how. Did a search, noticed there wasn't a thread like this in the 3rd gen section, so I decided to give it a try. I really don't think Im one of the people you should be giving the classic "if you have to ask" crap, trust me.
Read your own post again. Did you or did you not state this?

but since I lack the tools and knowledge of a proper wheel allignment job without using an allignment machine,

If you did it on an alignment rack a couple of times, you could manage to figure out how without. They weren't always around, right? I've had the luxury of using the rack a few times, and know whats involved. Have you?
Nope. Then again, I'm not the one asking. I already know it's too time consuming to get it right w/o the proper tools.

Because theres more then one way to do something, and some are easier then others? Why do I have to explain this to you? Maybe some can benefit from a thread like this if Im successful, unlike most other threads out here. Why hound me with wise cracks, "IF" How about helping me out with the subject at hand instead. You didn't even ask what setting is out of whack.
I AM helping. You aren't LISTENING. Even BRIAN, the frugle master is telling you to spend the $.

So you are saying you can do it. You apparently know exactly what's involved (despite your other statement above), so what's holding you back? Go ahead and try it.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm needing a caw

Why did you ignore all the information provided and choose to try to flame????

If you take it to joe chain alignment shops, it's a crapshoot if they actually know what they are doing. But that's one reason it's cheap.
Difference in "shops" that's not accounted for in your poll

If you spend the $ to get an alignment at a real place like a frame shop, you might get much better service, abeit at a price.
Clear and good advice. Something you clearly chose to ignore. Or are not willing to spend the $ for proper service.

As far as diy, you could probably ball park it to something less than totally out of whack. But I bet it would take you a long time to do it decently.

More good advice you again chose to ignore

BTW. Your poll is pretty invalid. Shop? Which shop? How much? Good shop or crappy shop? DIY? Who? You? Me? Matt? DIY if you could do it right. But that's one huge there

This is the only thing you chose to comment on. why??
Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 AM
I miss my VE

Sorry for the late reply.. I tried to hold back, but I just couldn't resist.

Because if there is a good/cheap shop, why do it yourself? Right?
Wrong.. Because even if there is(which I highly doubt in my area), Im not really in a rush to throw down 60 bucks with the worn parts I listed. Im not in such a rush to replace them now either. Get it? If I need to fix the camber up a bit, I'll do it.

Read your own post again. Did you or did you not state this?

but since I lack the tools and knowledge of a proper wheel allignment job without using an allignment machine,
So what? Because you didn't understand it right, you have to keep repeating it over and over?

Nope. Then again, I'm not the one asking. I already know it's too time consuming to get it right w/o the proper tools.
Thats a start.. What tools would you be talking about? Oh, but you've never actually did it before, right? So how can you tell me if it's time consuming? How about I'll be the judge of that.

I AM helping. You aren't LISTENING. Even BRIAN, the frugle master is telling you to spend the $.
Good one.. Anyway, telling me to go get it done by someone else and giving me info I already knew is not really workin out for me. Thanks anyway. I do think your post could have done away without the big "IF" if you know what I mean.

So you are saying you can do it. You apparently know exactly what's involved (despite your other statement above), so what's holding you back? Go ahead and try it.
Yeah, I apparently do. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Why did you ignore all the information provided and choose to try to flame????
I didn't ignore it. I thanked you for it along with the rest of the people that gave advice. I did have to comment on the "IF" part.

This is the only thing you chose to comment on. why??
Because apparently you knew something I didn't know. The rest of the info you gave, I already knew. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

Then just do it yourself. I await the results. I hope you don't wear $60 worth of tires on a mis-aligned suspension in the meantime. I think there are quality alignments shops in most areas of the country. Just not any in the price range you are willing to shell out for a quality and accurate job. I mean NY is a big city. If I know where quality shops are in my area, then there MUST be the same in yours.

I personally don't really care what you know or think you know. You apparently think I know nothing. Fine. You also think you can do it yourself, easily, cheaper than hiring someone and in a timely manner. Despite not having the tools to do so. But you know the tools that are required right? So no point in asking me. Especially when the poll results are "shop" by a big margin.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:29 PM

Now I see why I am starting to loath this forum.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:55 PM

I did the alignment once with the instructions on this website and three laser levels etc. I was surprised that when i did take in for alignment 4 months later the guy told me it was aligned perfectly. So i guess you can do it yourself if you have the time. It is really not that complicated.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by DARHAW-MAX
Now I see why I am starting to loath this forum.
Well some regular posters try to give advice requested, then the postee ignores it or argues with the person giving advice. Like the thread about coolant bubbling in the middle of the dash. If you actaully read every post in that thead over, half of them said the same thing in diffrent levels of detail.

~Alex

Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Done yet? ..............
Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 PM
I miss my VE

Gettin there slowly but surely... I already tried a few things and been reading up. Hopefully by the end of this week I'll already know if I got owned or not.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 AM
what can my max do for me

i would try DIY..it really isn't that difficult....and our cars definitely can't take the full advantage of the precision of the newer laser hunter alignment racks...

in any case, get a few laser levels, or string and a bubble level or whatever to make true horizontal and vertical lines and a flat place to park and make ur adjustments. once u get the hang of it try doing it once, go for a drive and then do it again...even right after an adjustment u'll find that specs are a little off....don't kill urself trying to get everything zero-d...it jsut ain't gonna happen....even laser racks have trouble doing that
Old 04-12-2006, 07:16 PM

Firestone has a liftime free allignment for $ 170, but they coupon it every 3 months down to $140. They dont care if you come in as often as you want to check your allignment. Furtehr ( at least on my 93) the only angle you can really adjust (stock) is the toe in. the rest flow from that angle and if they are out of spec you have other hjardware issues. ( someone correct me if I am wrong)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:44 AM

So is the Firestone Lifetime alignment for all four wheels or just the front alignment?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:36 PM

4 wheel

They were scared of my car with the LTB on it and didn't touch anything, just gave me the measurements

I asked if I could just make the adjustments then, no dice (insurance). So I went home, made the some adjustments, drove back, spot on

went to another location a week later because I didn't completely trust the idiots working at the one I went to and it was spot on.

pssst! the laser racks are really sweet and extremely accurate
Old 06-23-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm needing a caw

Done yet? .........

Originally Posted by VEvolution 6-23-06
I switched around some tires today since my front one is really messed up, and I threw it in the back to put less stress on it. Anyway, the damn alignment is off again for no reason. I didn't touch anything except the tires, what gives? The pressure is the same all around, even though one of the tires is a bit newer from a different company. I never knew worn tires can cause seriose alignment issues. Possible?

Done yet? ..............
Old 06-23-2006, 09:50 AM
I miss my VE

Done yet? .........
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=478373

Yeah, actually it seems very possible.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:00 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I always do my own alignments..

Jeffy?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:03 AM
I miss my VE

Oh really? I would love some pointers Green
Old 06-23-2006, 10:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Oh really? I would love some pointers Green

------>

<------

------>

<------

Old 06-23-2006, 10:06 AM
I miss my VE

Heh, those do the toe right?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Heh, those do the toe right?

You said wanted some pointers..
Old 06-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I miss my VE

Yeah man, thanks for the pointers
Old 06-24-2006, 12:33 AM

I'd ball park it at home just to make the car driveable (to the rack), but no matter what take it to a rack end of thread.

If you have ever seen the new laser racks some shops have it's straight up retarded to try yourself. They tell you absolutely everything and are extremely accurate.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can get a serious "radial" pull from a tire - particularily a worn tire. This would also assume you do not have any "bad parts" i.e. Ball joints, outer tie rods, inner tie rods, etc. Excessive play in any of these would negate any benefit from an alignment, at least after you hit your first post-alignment bump and shifted things again.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I miss my VE

Yeah, thanks. Had to figure that out the hard way.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

Okay it's been a good six months now. Got that write up ready with pictures done yet?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Okay it's been a good six months now. Got that write up ready with pictures done yet?

I haven't sent him the pointers yet...

------------>
<------------
------------->
<-------------
Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I miss my VE

Thanks for the concern though. Once I have a place and enough money for the equipment for a proper DIY job, I will PM you personally with everything involved

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I haven't sent him the pointers yet...

------------>
<------------
------------->
<-------------
Those pointers are getting more played out then that G35 Coupe

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment - DIY?