3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine wont crank -- Is my starter dead???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:21 PM

Engine wont crank -- Is my starter dead???

Hi Guys. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I wrote about a problem with my max , where it had trouble starting in cold weather. The engine would crank for a while and then start. Well, after the cold subsided, the problem wet away and everything was back to normal. Now I didnt drive my car for 5-6 days but when I went to start the car tonight, the engine would not crank. I turned the key in the ignition, but nothing. The lights on the dash come on and all, so I think the battery is just fine, but other than the light coming on, there was nothing happening. My knowledge of car, unfortunately, is pretty abysmal, but for some reason I am thinking there is a problem with the starter. Is my starter dead??? Any other ideas of what could be wrong will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sounds like you have a dying battery...or a drain on the system from somewhere....

Have a auto parts store test the battery for you...
Old 03-02-2006, 06:35 PM

Actually, the battery is fine. I had it tested about 3 weeks back, as well as the alternator. Also, if the battery were dying, the lights on the dash would dim, but nothing of the sort happened. It definitely isnt the battery. What are the symptons of a dead starter (other than car not starting). Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:39 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by dtahsee
Actually, the battery is fine. I had it tested about 3 weeks back, as well as the alternator. Also, if the battery were dying, the lights on the dash would dim, but nothing of the sort happened. It definitely isnt the battery. What are the symptons of a dead starter (other than car not starting). Thanks.
ooops i misread the part about the dash lights coming on..

You can have autozone/advance auto test the starter for you....They are simple to take off...
Old 03-02-2006, 07:54 PM

take a voltmeter and check the battery. just to be safe. 3weeks is more than enough time for a parasitic drain to cause your battery to be too weak to make the starter work properly. if battery is ok, then take a hammer or something and bang the starter a few times, if the starter turns the engine over, you need to replace the starter. a good battery is very important in cold weather starting due to higher resistance for motor to turn over from thicker engine oil wen its cold
Old 03-03-2006, 04:39 PM
RWD bolt-on conversion?

have freind attempt to turn over eninge a couple of time while you stickl you head in engine bay (watch for failing hood struts here)
listen for the 'clicking' of the starter relay.
if you hear that each time your buddy tries to crank it. you have power up to that relay. if you dont hear it. get someone else to confirm that you dont hear it and then find that relay. if your'e no good at hearing stuff. find the relay in the engine compartment, and put your hand on it. you should feel it. if still nothing: switch in another relay of the same size. or if you really feel comfertable (read: dont blame me if u screw up) you can jump the relay completley. but be ready to pull it off it the engine comes alive.

oh, do you have a automajic? or a manual? cause you may want to cueck neutral saftey switch/ clutch saftey switch.