3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Whats Going on !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 PM

Whats Going on !!!

Okay Guys I have been trouble shootiing this for along time and I still havent gotten anywhere! My 89 se maxima is having troubles these are the ones I need help with:

> Egr solenoid vacum valve is busted (Where can I get one?) I have it bypassed so the two vacum lines it connects are always connected. Will this hurt anything? Any input Please!

>Fans don't turn on when I think they should. When the enginr temp gauge is in the middle the fans don't come on! I thought my egrc temp sensor was bad so I replaced It but they still don't come on (I really would like to get this fixed asap because I don't like an overheating engine)

>Idle Fluxuation.. The car will be idling at 800 rpms then it will studder down to 600 and this happens quickly then imediatly after studering it recovers with an over compensation and the ide will jump to 1000 rpms. It seems like fuel and spark are fine it seems like a crossed vacum line that is somehow starving the engine for air. It does this studder while at idle only when hot and the studder occurs at a rate of one studder per 1.5 minutes sometimes 2 minute time span.
CAN SOMEONE POST A COMPLETE VACUM DIAGRAM FOR THE VG ENGINE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

Any one with positive input to this topic please tell me what you think Thanks for reading Guys!!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well your idle problem could be any number of things, so if you can go down the list and rule things out and post this, we will be much more helpful. Your fan issue, hmm...On the very basic level it could be a fuse. And if you are tired of trying to fix it the "right" way, you could rig up a simple on/off switch and run it to your interior. My buddy did this with a fuel pump one time. I have the FSM on my computer, I'll dig around and see if I can find a diagram for you. Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:18 PM

I replaced vacum hoses and I cleaned maf and cleaned throttle body and I sealed everything back up real well I have a egr contol valve that is broked But it doesnt leak vacum any more I don't think because I bypassed it!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:23 PM

bump >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-27-2006, 04:19 PM

coolant temp sensor. $25 at autozone will fix your idle and fan problem guaranteed. as for the egr solenoid im not too sure.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:47 PM

What sensor are u refering to the one wire one or the two wire one ?

Show me a pic of it on some auto parts web site please.

I replaced the 2 wire egr temp sensor but it didn't help

Out of curiosity when your car has been driven and warmed up when you get out of it (w/engine on) do you hear the fans running? Mine came on in 8 second intervals last night while it was warm and idleing while I was tinkering with it.
How often should they be on? HELP PLEASE!!!

Come one guys I need your help with these probs I am feeling realy defeated!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Maxima Man
What sensor are u refering to the one wire one or the two wire one ?

Show me a pic of it on some auto parts web site please.

I replaced the 2 wire egr temp sensor but it didn't help

Out of curiosity when your car has been driven and warmed up when you get out of it (w/engine on) do you hear the fans running? Mine came on in 8 second intervals last night while it was warm and idleing while I was tinkering with it.

Come one guys I need your help with these probs I am feeling realy defeated!
The coolant temp sensor..

The location of the sensor...
Old 02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Maxima Man
If your fans were turning off and on then you probably have your heater on in the defroster position.....
Old 02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have some prob whit my max 92 whit the vg30e engine,my temps gauge in my car is always like at the beginning,it ain't clibbing a lot maybe like 2/10 of the temps gauge,and i have almos no heat in the car, so is it the coolent temps sensor or the termostate..
sorry for my poor english...
Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Tsukasa
I have some prob whit my max 92 whit the vg30e engine,my temps gauge in my car is always like at the beginning,it ain't clibbing a lot maybe like 2/10 of the temps gauge,and i have almos no heat in the car, so is it the coolent temps sensor or the termostate..
sorry for my poor english...
Change your thermostat.....

Welcome to the org...
Old 03-01-2006, 12:25 PM

I changed the sensor in the picture ! Is it possible the conecter is not making a connection ? Any other ideas Thanks Guys
Old 03-02-2006, 11:51 AM

Bumppppp>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Any body else????