3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

More interesting VG info

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

More interesting VG info

So, while working on my brother's Z31 Turbo I decided to pull a piston and rod out of the bad engine and compare it to a TTZ piston and rod. The only differences between the dish of the two pistons was there were 4 reliefs for the TT piston (for the 4 valves of course). The skirt of the TT piston was slightly shorter but not by a whole lot.

The rods were very similar. The Z31 rod was ever so slightly thinner... not really thinner as it the total thickness but, the very edges of it were flatter on the Z31 rod. Over all they were very close to being the same. The major differences were where the rod bolts to the crank and where the pin is for the piston. The early Z31 engines had pressed in pins whereas the Z32 used a floating pin locked in by clips. The top of the rod where the pin goes was slightly larger on the Z32 piston and where the rod is on the crank, there was a bit more material compared to the Z31.

What does all of this have to do with the Maxima?

Well, while I was doing that I finally pulled a piston and rod out of my old Maxima engine to compare the three. The results were pretty damn cool.

The rod of the Maxima is almost identical to that of the TTZ rod. Both use a floating pin and visually look like the same size (I'll measure them tomorrow if I can get out there). The beams of the two rods looked identical. The only major difference was, again, where the rods connected to the crank. The Z32 had slightly more material than the Maxima rod.

What does this all mean?

This means that the Maxima rod will likely handle a good amount of abuse before it goes. We actually already know it'll handle 400-500 whp in a Z31 without issues. The Z32 rods supposedly will handle a proven 600 hp. I wouldn't be surprised if the Maxima rod could get damn near close to that.

What else could this mean?

Well, this also would likely mean the Z32 rod isn't a very substantial upgrade. If the only differences are in the cap, your money would likely be better off going to some aftermarket rods (Tomei, JUN, JWT, Eagle, etc.)

I'd say likely the first thing to go (besides the pistons of course) would be the studs. You could put in some ARP studs to be on the safe side but in the end, these things will likely handle more than enough power to turn your whole drivetrain into dust. The tires would become mush and you'd likely break your seat if you got traction.

Basically after comparing all of these setups tonight, if you're looking to make good power do not worry about the stock rods. The pistons will definitely be the first to go so I'd put in some good pistons first (www.brcperformance.com for high quality, excellent priced pistons). From there if you think you'll be making enough power to hurt the rods or better yet just want to reduce the weight of the internals, you can get some good aftermarket rods. Really that'd probably be the only reason to get them, is for the decreased weight.

So... have fun and don't break too much stuff now.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:20 AM

good to hear mark.....
Old 02-27-2006, 03:07 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mtcookson
I'd say likely the first thing to go (besides the pistons of course) would be the studs. You could put in some ARP studs to be on the safe side but in the end, these things will likely handle more than enough power to turn your whole drivetrain into dust. The tires would become mush and you'd likely break your seat if you got traction.
What about the borg warner tranny
Old 02-27-2006, 03:23 PM
STFU n00b!

The stock rods in a Z32 (and VE, since they're the same rods) are known to handle about 400HP reliably, but have held 5 and 600hp for short amounts of time.

I seriously would have issues with building a 500hp engine and keeping the stock rods. 300HP, maybe.. and only at stock RPM levels. if you start going up in RPM or spend a lot of time in the top half of the stock RPM range, I highly recommend some upgraded rods and ARP rod bolts.. It's $700 VERY well spent, considering that if you break a rod (like I did), you're going to be dropping about $2000 at the machine shop to buy new rods, pistons, bearings, grind the crank, bore the block, etc etc etc.. that's assuming the block is still even useable after being beat to hell by the end of a broken rod.

do it right the first time... it costs a LOT more to do it again.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:13 PM

ehh, if I blew the engine i'd just go buy another for 150 bucks.

I looked at the rods more tonight and the Z32 rods are slightly thicker than the other two so that'd be where the extra strength comes from. There are quite a few Z31 guys running 300-400 rwhp using the stock bottom end driving theirs daily so the stock ones can definitely handle some abuse. The ARP bolt upgrade is definitely a good investment though. Either way though... there likely won't be many third gen guys making that kind of power simply due to our certain tranny troubles.

I also did some more searching on Z31.com and a member over there made 661 rwhp using eagle rods and brc pistons... that would be a blast.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
ehh, if I blew the engine i'd just go buy another for 150 bucks.

I looked at the rods more tonight and the Z32 rods are slightly thicker than the other two so that'd be where the extra strength comes from. There are quite a few Z31 guys running 300-400 rwhp using the stock bottom end driving theirs daily so the stock ones can definitely handle some abuse. The ARP bolt upgrade is definitely a good investment though. Either way though... there likely won't be many third gen guys making that kind of power simply due to our certain tranny troubles.

I also did some more searching on Z31.com and a member over there made 661 rwhp using eagle rods and brc pistons... that would be a blast.
yeap got my spare motor for $150 with all sensors and everything.
But I just cant blow my vg I should have somewhere around 3250whp and hell who knows what the air/fuel is (never had a wide band on it just guessed and stock timming. I have hit knock level of 200and more plenty of times
Old 02-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
yeap got my spare motor for $150 with all sensors and everything.
But I just cant blow my vg I should have somewhere around 3250whp and hell who knows what the air/fuel is (never had a wide band on it just guessed and stock timming. I have hit knock level of 200and more plenty of times
wow, you get much traction with 3250whp? j/k
Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Alex_V

Hes got the worlds only FWD power glide tranny

~Alex

Old 02-28-2006, 09:07 AM

finally measured them somewhat last night. the TT is rod is thicker overall so that's where the majority of the extra power handling comes from.

i forgot to bring my camera up to the office so if i take my laptop home tonight i'll get the pictures uploaded. the TT rods would be a good upgrade for the VG30E(T) but likely won't be necessary for most Maxima guys. if you're planning on making more than 300-400 whp on a daily driver then they'd be a good upgrade. i'd probably just invest some more money into some aftermarket rods to save on some weight though.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:35 AM

Pictures!

Left to right: 84-86 VG30ET, 89-94 Maxima VG30E, 90-96 300ZX VG30DETT

Left: 84-86 300ZX VG30ET
Right: 89-94 Maxima VG30E

Left: 89-94 Maxima VG30E
Right: 90-96 300ZX VG30DETT

Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 AM

In these pictures the angles screw up the way the rods look. The Maxima rod looks the thinnest of all of them however it is the same thickness as the VG30ET rod (left).

Left: 84-86 300ZX VG30ET
Right: 89-94 Maxima VG30E

Left: 89-94 Maxima VG30E
Right: 90-96 300ZX VG30DETT

Old 03-02-2006, 07:38 AM

Left to right: Z32, Maxima, Z31

(Yes... that piston from the VG30ET is scored all over. There is even a small chunk missing out of the side of it. Whoever messed with that engine before we got the car had no idea what they were doing... that thing was in such bad condition that I'm having to put in a totally different engine. I'm thinking they tried turning up the boost without adding any fuel and/or an aftercoole. There's a manual boost control in the car... yes in the car... without any supporting mods, so I'm guessing they definitely had no idea what they were doing.)

Higher resolution:
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals1.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals2.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals3.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals4.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals5.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals6.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals7.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals8.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals9.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals10.jpg
http://www.machzracing.com/pictures/vginternals11.jpg
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 AM

Thanks Mark... Very intersting. keep up the good work.

Jeremy