3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Felony

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Felony

So get this.

Nice day, sun's shining, I park my car in a local parking lot, and go to work.

Get back 6 hours later and BAM!

Un be-freaking-lievable.

Some Jerk-off slammed into my car.
To make matters worse, I was trying to sell it (GXE) so I can purchase another one (SE) from down the street.

so here's the kicker:

No phone call, no note, nothing, and my number (which is dubbed of course) was RIGHT IN THE BACK WINDOW!. Thankfully there was a note on the windshield that a witness stated seeing a 'black truck' hit the vehicle, and they got the plates. Hit and run baby! The bastard's going to get what's coming to him, that's for darn sure!

Not only that, but when I got to the police station, they had mentioned that this person had hit someone ELSE as well, and they ALSO filed a hit and run.

Now I have to ask those of you with experience in this:
What do i do now. I am purchasing another maxima, there's no question there. HOWEVER. I still do have this one, and was wondering if I should pull any parts worth saving, like my stereo, or any interior parts before I let it go for assesment for value. Would pulling the stereo pull down the value of it? It's about a $800+ stereo, and I really like it.

Any input would be helpful, Thanks!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Lives in a Maxima

Wow, that shucks. There's nothing more I can say... Good luck with the SE...

Did you call your insurance? If they total it out, take off all the parts you can. Sometimes, on older cars like these, your insurance co will just buy you a comparable car. IE: the SE down the street.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM

felony

Originally Posted by AztecRedBlooded
Wow, that shucks. There's nothing more I can say... Good luck with the SE...

Did you call your insurance? If they total it out, take off all the parts you can. Sometimes, on older cars like these, your insurance co will just buy you a comparable car. IE: the SE down the street.

Nope actually here, I file with the police first, then sgi, which is our government run insurance, they issue everything. I would however really like to know if taking parts (ie, stereo and rims with good tires and put the old rims/tires on) would de-value the vehicle...
thanks for the empathy though
Old 02-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Still chugging along...

I don't know about up in the Great White North, but here in the States you should take all aftermarket parts, stereo, wheels/tires, etc. and put the stock stuff back on. The insureance companies won't give you any real value for it when the total the car so don't let them have it for free. At most that stuff might get you an extra couple hundred bucks when assesing the value of the car. You're better off stripping it and selling the parts yourself for their real worth. Take off anything of any value that you can.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Lives in a Maxima

Ok, I admit complete and utter ignorance to the socialized ways of you canadians... But i know here many insurance companies will total out your car and sell it back to you with a salvage title for a very discount rate. Especially to enthusiasts who may want to keep alot of the extras they put onto/into their cars.

As far as selling the car, as is, I doubt taking some things off will devalue it too much. The fact that your trunk is in your back seat will devalue it a bit though.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM

Man that tanks, thank you God for that honest witness and their boldness to let you know!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 PM

take the stereo out and the rims off.. theyll give you almost nothign for them
Old 02-13-2006, 06:54 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

that pisses me off, i would look real hard into finding who done it.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by kling's maxima
So get this.
...when I got to the police station, they had mentioned that this person had hit someone ELSE as well, and they ALSO filed a hit and run.
Damn, this person seems like he loves to hit cars or something
Old 02-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Way out West

I agree with white shadow. Insurance companies give you almost nothing for stuff like wheels and stereo. If you have lots of receipts for stuff, sometimes they can be negotiated with (I know Jeff did this with one of his accidents), but all-in-all, it's better to just have the stuff, especially if you are pretty sure you are getting the same type of car, where all of your stuff will go to the new car.

You might also call the person with the SE and explain what happened, then tell them you are interested in their car if they would just wait for you to get the insurace stuff straightened out. If they total the car and the insurance pays you off, you can move quickly into the car you want.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:19 PM

if you're filing an insurance claim the salvage value will be a measly $100 or so. when the adjuster comes out to look at it, clean that baby up spotless and you may end up getting a couple thousand dollar check. all depends on milage mostly. but yeah, i'd buy it back use it as a parts car or fix it up. use the check to buy an se or whatever. in a way, it works out for you. leave the aftermarket parts ON and use them to get as high of an appraisal as possible.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:08 PM

pull everything worth keeping off of it. They rarely take any of that into account when calculating value and if they do it won't add much value.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:44 PM

$$$$$$ back.

Next car you get spend the money and do what I do. Find a good private appraiser and have it appraised for replacement value. I have done this for three of my cars. 66 VW fast back the insurance said was worth $300.00 and I got $3500.00 from them. My 72 510 wagon the insurance said $1000.00 for repairs and was ging to be totalled. I showed them the appraisal for $6000.00 and they fixed the car.ETC.ECT.

SEE NO Z.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:03 PM

When I totalled my car, I had the insurance adjuster come out and view the car in its modded state. I made a comprehensive list of all the parts and estimated values, and they ended up bumping the price up a few hundred dollars (to 3942). Then, before I went and got the check/arranged for a tow truck to remove it from my yard, I stripped it back down.
I hate my insurance company, I got good money and all, but they wouldnt let me keep the car (buyback), even for parts, without repairing the airbag first. I am a bitter soul, and I really miss the VE.
Good luck man, I hope you don't lose too bad.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:28 AM
mod or sell?

Kling- do you have any other pics?
from the view I see all it is , is a trunk lid, maybe hinges possibly a latch too.
Not enough to total the car IMHO
Old 02-14-2006, 09:41 AM

total?

Originally Posted by internetautomar
from the view I see all it is , is a trunk lid, maybe hinges possibly a latch too.
Well, it's a 91, So I highly doubt it's not a write off. The front is also a bit slammed because it ran into a chain that seperated the parking spots.

The bumper's dinged in, the whole trunk, lights, reflector, as well as the front bumper looks damaged, the headlight's busted, and i'm getting a clunking from the back left shock...(which is related to the rust recall, but hey, they dont' need to know that)

I just finished taking out the stereo, the rims will have to wait until it's not -35 celcius...stupid canada.

anyways, thanks for the help guys. I hope I will be back on here with a nice shiny silver 92 SE.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's well beyond a total. But not beyond fixing maybe.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:49 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

your $800 is bumping you price $100 for the whole car...take it out and sell/use it in something else....good luck
Old 02-14-2006, 11:44 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
It's well beyond a total. But not beyond fixing maybe.
I did say based on what I saw in the pic.
I can't see the tail lights or the front "damage" to think it's a total.
that's why I asked for a better pic
Old 02-14-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

You implied that the insurance company would fix vs total. IMHO, it's an insurance total.

Anything can be "fixed".

Old 02-14-2006, 02:39 PM

daylight pics

well here's the pics in broad daylight of the whole car. Enjoy!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:58 PM

It sucks but it looks like its gonna be getting totaled. Good luck with the SE or whatever you choose to get though.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Looks like a total to me dude..
Old 02-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Put it this way. "This" w/o the wheels with cherry soda sprayed in the interior was deemed a total by the insurance company. Only a small dent and a missing wing.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Same color/model car...people must not see the beige easily huh?
stupid bastards!
Vendetta's against beige cars need to be abolished
Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

Quite the opposite. They saw it, stole it, took my 18" track editions, put dent in car, and sprayed cherry coke all inside the interior.

Same color/model car...people must not see the beige easily huh?
stupid bastards!
Vendetta's against beige cars need to be abolished
Old 02-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Quite the opposite. They saw it, stole it, took my 18" track editions, put dent in car, and sprayed cherry coke all inside the interior.
damn, thats pretty bad
Old 02-14-2006, 06:03 PM
mod or sell?

once the damage to the quarters is added in she's a goner.
oh well, I just bought me another VE
Old 02-15-2006, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Jeff92se]Put it this way. "This" w/o the wheels with cherry soda sprayed in the interior was deemed a total by the insurance company. Only a small dent and a missing wing.

Hey Jeff, what did you end up getting for yours so I know what to bargain them up to.
Thanks dude
Old 02-15-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well mine was modded up the ying yang and is a SE. Basicly go to autotrader in your area and look up nice looking maximas in your year/color/style. Then dig up every little receipt you have and submit it to the insurance company. Then whatever their 1st offer is, refuse it. It's just a lowballer sucker offer anyway. Get quotes from the paper, ebay,autotrader,KBB for excellent etc...You gotta show them you know how much your car is worth and what it takes to buy another in the same condition.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:51 AM

tell them there is one for sale on here for 8-9k, autotrader always has maximas for rediculous prices too. try to get a decent amount for it. or jsut tell them, give me 2500 and we will call it a day. thats what i would try.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:39 PM

car

yes indeed, she's a write off...the guy stopped counting the damages when he hit $4400.

So keep your fingers crossed tht they give me a good price
Old 02-16-2006, 06:15 PM
mod or sell?

yes indeed, she's a write off...the guy stopped counting the damages when he hit $4400.

So keep your fingers crossed tht they give me a good price
that real money or canadian?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 PM
backNblackj30

words of advice, man that sucks. Well take out all of your stero, throw in a factory headunit. they dont give any extra for stero. Also they dont give any extra for rims, or any under the hood bling or upgrades. they give value for the condition of the car, not upgrades. so pull upgrades.
good luck with the SE! hope they catch that asshat

Old 02-17-2006, 03:48 PM

internetautomart

that real money or canadian?
That's real funny Automart...hey, why dont you ask your president who has the least IQ out of any president...ever...and still managed to hold office for 2 terms?

To the rest of you who have anything VALID to say, thanks for the empathy, and hopefully this isn't my last thread...
Old 02-17-2006, 07:15 PM

That's real funny Automart...hey, why dont you ask your president who has the least IQ out of any president...ever...and still managed to hold office for 2 terms?

To the rest of you who have anything VALID to say, thanks for the empathy, and hopefully this isn't my last thread...
May I ask who?

I can have empathy, but if I am understanding you correctly, it seems to me that you are debasing a leader of ours. I have no understanding of that. I pray that I am missunderstanding and if so, I ask for your forgiveness. Please do not slam any of our presidents, including but not limited, to the current one! Thank you!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
May I ask who?

I can have empathy, but if I am understanding you correctly, it seems to me that you are debasing a leader of ours. I have no understanding of that. I pray that I am missunderstanding and if so, I ask for your forgiveness. Please do not slam any of our presidents, including but not limited, to the current one! Thank you!
Why not? It is free speech, especially on the internet. I dont like the president either. Not like it matters any way.

Either way, sucks theres another busted maxima with a good owner. Thats almost as bad as putting your heart and soul into a car then selling it and watch the owner total it. Are you still getting that other maxima?

~Alex

Old 02-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Why not? It is free speech, especially on the internet. I dont like the president either. Not like it matters any way.

Either way, sucks theres another busted maxima with a good owner. Thats almost as bad as putting your heart and soul into a car then selling it and watch the owner total it. Are you still getting that other maxima?

~Alex
Indeed, I was only making a point that Automart's comment was completly uncalled for, and was as such, retorted with an equally as stupid answer.

As far as the heart and soul goes, I put my heart and soul into my maxima, and she's totaled. So goodbye to her, and hopefully hello to the SE down the street, depending on if they guy comes down from his insanely lofty price of $4650 for a 210,000 KM (uh....114 thousand miles?ish?) or not.

Keep your fingers crossed
Old 02-17-2006, 10:00 PM

btw

and p.s., it is a Published fact that president Bush has the lowest IQ out of any president to ever have come to office (Reagan included), so allegedly I'm not even making a slam, but merely stating fact, but I digress.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:03 AM

"de-value" as you put it of the vehicle does not come from removing aftermarket parts. aftermarket parts provide only a "want" value per-say. it does not actually raise the value of the vehicle itself. although most people will reduce their price if you say you have something in it and tell them you're going to remove it before you sell it.. be very wary

Quick Reply: Felony