3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wide Band 02 kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:51 PM

Wide Band 02 kit

I'm putting together my wishlist for my Maxima... (internetautomart, you'll be getting an email later this year for prices on some items).

One item I am wanting is a A/F ratio gauge... which the only way to acheive full function is to have a wide band 02 Sensor. I have found kits online, but wanted to get some other inputs here as to which might contain the best equipment.

(realize I'm wanting a productive discussion, so bashers can leave now)

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm - $279

http://www.hardracing.com/Misc/WideBand.htm - $439

http://www.fastwrx.com/plxmwio2seki.html - $349
Old 01-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I personally have a PLX Devices wideband unit and really like it however they have some new ones out that're awesome. The R series has tons of cool features.

You can see those at www.plxdevices.com.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Alex_V

A AFR is nice an all but do you have something like a S-afcII, V-AFC or Megasquirt ecu to tune the AFR?

The AFCs are about $200 or so used, while the megasquirt is about $140 and can tune the fuel to any afr you want. Its really cool and Im going to use it to control spark and fuel on my RWD VQ project. www.megasquirt.info http://www.diyautotune.com/ is where Im buying mine.

~Alex

Old 01-14-2006, 01:51 PM

I'm mainly just wanting a unit that will show where it's at. So I can tune a little bit. Some of the units I have ran across are full units, making available FULL mapping of A/F ratio for tuning and such.

I plan on getting the JWT ECU. Unless you guys know of something that is better to go along with the A/F Ratio Kit.

I like the PLX M-250 kit.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:31 PM
mod or sell?

if you do a search on here, I posted a thread with a howto make your own WB A/F setup
Old 01-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Alex_V

Kcidmil- Read the megasquirt site. For $2-350 you can have a completely tuneable ecing controller, and it can install with the factory computer, and set the megasquirt up to control fuel only, and use the factory computer to control spark. This is the easiest and cheapest way, or since you were going to spend the money on the JWT, you can get the Megasquirt N spark (MSnS for short) and completely control how much fuel your getting, and how much spark advance. This would be the best setup, and it would cost less then the JWT. The JWT ecu is just a general tune, just like nissan does only they advance the spark a little bit and lean it out a little, for what $500? thats alot more then any MS setup, and its not even perfected for your car like MS would be. Just check out the megasquirt.info link for any more info.

~Alex

Old 01-14-2006, 06:59 PM

Cant go wrong with either the Zeitronix or PLX
Old 01-14-2006, 09:17 PM

I'll look into that tomorrow Alex V. I'm mainly looking into it to give a final product and price to my list.

Since were on the subject of motor build up. JWT Connecting rods, and valve spring set. I don't plan on boosting the motor, but it would be nice to something new in. Also just in case I do get the itch, and start working on a turbo setup. (or go through with my plans for the perfect electric supercharger)
Old 01-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Alex_V

unless your running insane boost noo need to upgrade any of the bottom end just yet, its plenty strong, best thing to do is keep it tuned (and the MS is awsome for that), and upgrade cams valves and springs and get everything ported. Like what 93gxe turbo did. No need to go internal as the vg is an iron block.

Og if you need a site to price out the MS go here: www.diyautotune.com they have complete ms boards from $130 and up. So if you can solder its quite cheap.

~Alex

Old 01-15-2006, 07:40 PM

The main reason why I was going to do it is to get it out of the way. I'm going to COMPLETELY rebuild the motor... bottom end and everything. New Bearings, pistons, rings, etc. Minus well change out the rods which might save me later on from having to tear down everything.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Alex_V

the only thing I could think to replace is the piston and maybe rod, I know one you can change easily. But nissan used a smaller wrist pin on the max's VG. I guess since your in there I'd change it to the other VG piston with the larger wrist pin. But really unless your parts are worn out whats the point in replacing them? unless your going to out run mardigrasmax in the quarter (11.2 is his fastest) I really really doubt you need it. All though if you were in there Id build an na monster. Then if you decide to go turbo you can buy another VG and sell the NA built motor and probably make money. (as in buy all parts use it, sell it for a fair price and then buy a meduim milage VG and pocket the diffrence)

If I were building a NA engine I'd get as close to 12:1 as I could and get a new cam, and probably build a new intake. og course with a UDP and alu flywheel. man that would be sweet.

~Alex

Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 PM

i think a VE would be a better choice for an n/a motor. i don't believe the vg really has the flow capabilities to be a good n/a performer.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:15 AM

Well I'm getting my new hood this May. It's down in TN just waiting for me to pick it up. This allows me to use my old hood as a test for my Ram Air before I begin cutting into the new one.

Unfourtantely I have TWO big problems, low on funds, and time. This year I'm putting a new suspension on the Maxima with the Tax Return. I would use more money and buy more stuff, but I have some medical bills to pay off. As well as fixing my Highlander and keeping some money to travel on. Ever since I bought my Colorado, I've lost my funding more the Maxima. $50 of the $100 I put into my savings was for it. Now I only put in $20 each paycheck.