3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

So my speedometer...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:44 PM

So my speedometer...

is on crack. Most of the time it just sits at zero while I drive around, but every once in a while it will follow the engine RPM. My spedo thinks it's a tach. Any idea where to start looking for wiring weirdness? Should I just replace the gauge cluster?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, on the auto tranny equipped VG's, the speed sensor sits ontop of/ in the tranny and has a wire running out of it. Start there. It should be between the driver side and middle of the car towards the firewall. If you have trouble finding it, look for a thread I started awhile back called 'engine fire' I believe there is a pic. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

Aren't the speed sensors in our maxima's supposed to be somewhat common for going out? or smoking crack as it was so eloquently stated.
Yeah, but sounds like it might be a wiring feed back thing also, but that is a PITA to trace/check/fix. Try to bum a known good speed sensor from someone, or get one from a junkyard for cheap, and put it in and see if that helps. It's a cheap and easy way to eliminate that part of the equation. And if that fixes it, even better. Then go buy a new one if you want to.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

Sensor has one electrical connector, and one 10mm bolt holding it in, then just pull out.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

hey man, did you ever figure out the problem?