3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

A/T Tranny Oil Change - THE blk hole in FSM

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:14 AM

A/T Tranny Oil Change - THE blk hole in FSM

Nissan Manual, so called A/T "oil change":

Here Nissan Mech ? Changing A/T fluid

1. Warm up A/T fluid
2. Stop engine
3. Drain A/T fluid from drain plug and refill with new A/T fluid. Always refill same volume with drained fluid.
Oil grade
Dexron II-E
Capacity (with torque converter)
VG30E 7.4L (7-7/8 US qt)
VE30 9.6L (10-1/8 US qt)
Drain plug 29-39nm
4. Run engine at idle speed for five minutes
5. Check fluid level and condition. Refer to "Checking A/T Fluid. (= to
this very text...). If (!?) fluid is still dirty, repeat step 2. through 5.

Source: FSM MA-18

(For me, this explanation rings hollow, more like fraud.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions raised - especially for VG:
- Stealership maintained car has never had proper oil change?
- No info of cooler, its tubings. Which one is oil in, which is oil out (for flush)?
- Is cooler tubing all open = w/o any thermostat or 'pressure valve' etc.
- How to properly change all, including cooler
- What oil to use; I find these oil prices ridiculous gouging (2$-30$ per quart). What do you use, Mobil dino oil is ok (here 5$/quart)?

Yes I know there is the -oil section-, but I did not find satisfactory info for 3gen VG tranny. All explanations for never maxes... No VG hosing explanation, pics whatever links...

Facts input please - for 3gen A/T total oil change, (I've already got full bag of opinions.)
Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Wiking
Nissan Manual, so called A/T "oil change":

Here Nissan Mech ? Changing A/T fluid

1. Warm up A/T fluid
2. Stop engine
3. Drain A/T fluid from drain plug and refill with new A/T fluid. Always refill same volume with drained fluid.
Oil grade
Dexron II-E
Capacity (with torque converter)
VG30E 7.4L (7-7/8 US qt)
VE30 9.6L (10-1/8 US qt)
Drain plug 29-39nm
4. Run engine at idle speed for five minutes
5. Check fluid level and condition. Refer to "Checking A/T Fluid. (= to
this very text...). If (!?) fluid is still dirty, repeat step 2. through 5.

Source: FSM MA-18

(For me, this explanation rings hollow, more like fraud.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions raised - especially for VG:
- Stealership maintained car has never had proper oil change?
- No info of cooler, its tubings. Which one is oil in, which is oil out (for flush)?
- Is cooler tubing all open = w/o any thermostat or 'pressure valve' etc.
- How to properly change all, including cooler
- What oil to use; I find these oil prices ridiculous gouging (2$-30$ per quart). What do you use, Mobil dino oil is ok (here 5$/quart)?

Yes I know there is the -oil section-, but I did not find satisfactory info for 3gen VG tranny. All explanations for never maxes... No VG hosing explanation, pics whatever links...

Facts input please - for 3gen A/T total oil change, (I've already got full bag of opinions.)
dealership will change/flush the ATF at your request.
cooler is just a heat exchanger inside the radiator...in or out...well perhaps they don't recommend flushing the fluid that way?
no t-stat...i believe it's as much as the pump can push...the VB can control fluid flow and etc.
i don't think you can "change all" on any auto tranny unless it's a rebuild.
running amosil here
Old 09-28-2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
dealership will change/flush the ATF at your request...
Maybe they do, at least charge... I did the swap; once in lifetime I'm well oiled all over. (had flush tube on wrong end, spewed tranny oil on my yard hmm. rich feelin.

The oil (at 85k) was blk. I think there has never been any kind of change, (the car has always been serviced by nissan to 60k) ---> why not? FSM never tells to change, just check every 15k.

Used 8quarts cheap dino oil, 3$/quart. Whata change how tranny works. Will someday make a writeup with pics taken...

Someday NOW:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/15

DIY fluid change, ALL NEW -as it should be!

VG A/T oil change; nicer to have 2ppl

The almost 8 quart tranny oil may be changed in four steps, A B C D. Each step means taking out 2 quarts of used oil, inserting equal amount (2 quarts) new oil.

- Take out splash cover below engine, drivers side. Find canister big enough, Minimum 3 quarts. Find large hose, 1-3 feet to be fitted into tranny cooler outlet, canister.

A. Drain the tranny, one drain plug, drivers side. Little over 2 quarts flows out. That is about 1/4 of all u oil. Plug it. Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube...
Now u 'oil reservoir' is full new oil, but "the system" with 6 quarts contains still the used shmuck.

B. Open drivers side tranny cooler hose, radiator bottom. Find, install extra hose to rad, other end to a large enough container. Start engine, run about 15 sec while playing through gears ---> 2 quarts of OLD oil is pushed out by the incoming new oil. Don’t idle after the oil flow stops! Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube...

Halfway House: 4 quarts oil has been taken out, 4 quarts of new oil has been inserted.

C. Start engine, run again about 15 sec while playing through all gears ---> again 2 quarts of OLD oil will be pushed to u container. Add 2 quarts new oil via measurement stick tube.

D. Start engine, run about 15 sec while playing through gears and the last 2 quarts of old oil be pushed out... now new red oil will be seen flowing out. Your old oil has been pushed out, Tranny System has been filled with new. Add the last missing 2 quarts of new oil via measurement stick tube...

- Re-insert the cooler tube, tighten.
- Let idle for 5 minutes.
- Measure oil level. Add/Take out as necessary.
- Clean the mess, go to shower.
- Compare to FSM 'guide'. Go for a ride. Awesome!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dealership will change/flush the ATF at your request.
cooler is just a heat exchanger inside the radiator...in or out...well perhaps they don't recommend flushing the fluid that way?
no t-stat...i believe it's as much as the pump can push...the VB can control fluid flow and etc.
i don't think you can "change all" on any auto tranny unless it's a rebuild.
running amosil here
When any shop replaces the fluid in an ATX they flush the system under pressure, which will replace all the fluid, or at least like 99%. I think if they want to get it all they would have to move the motor through the gears, to get everything out of the VB. This procedure does get the fluid in the heat exchanger ( Tranny cooler ). I would highly recomend getting yourself an aux tranny cooler, search here and you will find a few threads on the topic.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by CyMax
When any shop replaces the fluid in an ATX they flush the system under pressure, which will replace all the fluid, or at least like 99%. I think if they want to get it all they would have to move the motor through the gears, to get everything out of the VB. This procedure does get the fluid in the heat exchanger ( Tranny cooler ). I would highly recomend getting yourself an aux tranny cooler, search here and you will find a few threads on the topic.

you're not telling me to do a search right?
you're also not telling me to get a tranny cooler...right?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you're not telling me to do a search right?
you're also not telling me to get a tranny cooler...right?
No I was useing your post to illistrate my response. Why??
Tho if you were the one asking thoes questions Wilking did I would have to assume you were not familiar with how an ATX really works. Questions on a T-stat for the Tranny signal to me one dosent really know much about it. Tho I am NO expert I have owned a few ATX's that had problems with heat that all benifited from ading a secondary cooler. Furthermore by your response that the fluid can only be fully changed during a rebuild it seemed you were not familiar with how an ATX flush works.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
...Someday NOW: DIY fluid change, ALL NEW ...

The new A/T oil change page; clic http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/24

- Link to howstuffworks.com -how-it-works-A/T-animation
- Pictured oil change procedure
- etcetc...

pic from howstuffworks -page:

Pump? What pump?

...and as always, give input when errors found.