3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

starting/power issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

starting/power issue

ok i havent seen any threads with anything like this before but if there are could someone point me to them.

heres the deal twice this week i've gone out to my car and it won't start, it wont even crank, heres the strange part when i first get in the car all of my dash lights will turn on and the seat belt will cycle but when i turn the key i lose all power. the first time it happened i pulled the battery cable and touched it to the terminal and there was no arc so i thought "great i have a drain somewhere and the battery is dead", so i leave and about an hour later my buddy comes and gets ready to give me a jump, just to humor myself i try to crank it one more time b4 we hook up the cables and lo and behold it starts up like nothing....

then this afternoon i go out and start it and i have the same problem, so i pull the neg. cable and it arcs i put the cable back on and try it and it starts right up, whats the deal anybody ever had anything like this before? just to clarify there was no cranking at all no noise of any kind i dont even remember hearing the fuel pump click running.

thanks this sucks because because i'm at school now and this isnt a problem i want to have right now.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Check and clean all your connections on the positive and negative cables on both ends of them....sounds like you have a loose connection....
Old 08-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Alex_V

Tighten your cables and use di-eletric greese.

~Alex

Old 08-27-2005, 05:46 PM

My guess would be the battery terminals, As you said that you took off the positive and there was no arc? well if the negative post is not making a connection it wouldn't arc. Then you said that when you took off the negative and it arced and then you put it back on and it started! right? I'd say that your problem is a bad ground at the battery.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 PM

Check and clean all your connections on the positive and negative cables on both ends of them....sounds like you have a loose connection....
the cables have all been off it the past 3 months and the connections cleaned.

My guess would be the battery terminals, As you said that you took off the positive and there was no arc? well if the negative post is not making a connection it wouldn't arc. Then you said that when you took off the negative and it arced and then you put it back on and it started! right? I'd say that your problem is a bad ground at the battery.
let me say it more clearly, i disconnected the neg. cable the positive one is on there insanely tight and is not loose nor corroded at all, when i tapped the neg one to the terminal there was no arc. as for a bad ground i have my own gounding kit, i have enough of an electronics background to be confident that that is not it. would the antitheft system have anything to do? i'm not an expert on how the ecu works but i know it kills the engine when the system is activated but thats about all i know.

here is the part i would like to stress, when i first got in the car i had power-lights, seat belt, warning chime, when i turn the key to start the engine i loose it all and it doesnt come back on.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:25 PM

and yeah this battery was bought in january .
Old 08-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Alex_V

if you can get the car to auto zone or the like have them test the alt in the car as that may be the problem.

~Alex

Old 08-27-2005, 08:52 PM

i dont think it is the alt. because that has no effect on the starting of the car unless it didnt charge the battery when it was running i dont think that would be an issue, and since the car started up right away when it did start i dont think the battery has a low charge.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:02 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Josh
the cables have all been off it the past 3 months and the connections cleaned.
I'm not just talking about the cable connections on the battery...I am also talking about the other ends of them same cables....The starter conn....and the ground connection to the engine block....
Old 08-27-2005, 09:14 PM

I'm not just talking about the cable connections on the battery...I am also talking about the other ends of them same cables....The starter conn....and the ground connection to the engine block....
yeah its all been off except for the connection on the starter. i highly doubt it would be that because if the car hasn't moved i dont see the likelyhood of the starter getting a better/reconnected connection just after sitting for an hour but who knows, i'll check that when i can get it into a garage for a bit. thnx
Old 08-27-2005, 10:32 PM
mod or sell?

if the car is an automatic, try pushing the shifter forward next time you have the problem
Old 08-27-2005, 10:40 PM

if the car is an automatic, try pushing the shifter forward next time you have the problem
i've had that problem before and that was the first thing i tried, but no cigar.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Josh
...i loose it all and it doesnt come back on.

"thanks this sucks ... isnt a problem i want to have right now."
- all problems suck. Thats what Life is all about. Tune on this: heaven is destination.
- all problems appear at worst possible time. LifeTime...

1. Even New Battery may have internal cut, awakened by 500A draw. Small few amps pwr for lights etc will still be possible.
2. Power is delivered via cables to starter solenoid. Take both on the floor and tHeres u problim. Throw em at the laughing magpie, DIY new and better.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/10
3. Solenoid is energized via relay, I u are so confident, no problem bypAssing. That really doesnt hlp if no juice. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/5

I bet its no.1.

Or its 1.b; caused by alternator rectifier [drying the battery overnight]
swapped like this, clic on http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/23