3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

has anyone else tried this on ve intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 02:39 AM

has anyone else tried this on ve intake

i was reading on 4dsc.com and i saw this article

http://www.4dsc.com/articles/drivetr..._removal.shtml

was wondering if anyone else tried that and if they had similar results?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you have already removed your stock airbox anyways, it couldn't hurt.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:45 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I have done this to my car...All it did was make it louder at wot.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you have a CAI leave it no

if you have a filter just buy a mid-pipe
Old 08-14-2005, 10:51 AM

I done this,not becasue i thoguht it owudl give me 100 hp but becasue i hate the look of cluttery cheap looking engine bay stuff, same reason the battery is being evicted and he will have to squat in the trunk until he finds a permanent resident.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
if you have a CAI leave it no

if you have a filter just buy a mid-pipe
am I able to buy just a midpipe? I really dont feel like cutting holes in my car for CAI. I was going to, and then my dad being a bodyman said that would ruin the structure of my car. meaning if i get hit or if i hit someone the car, it wont be as stable. which was fair enough for me. I couldn't really point out a good location for cold air anyways. Also if I can buy just the midpipe, where at? most ebay kits advertise CAI, so i assume they want me to cut a hole somewhere O_O
Old 08-14-2005, 06:57 PM

contact Jeffy

or if your dad has a welder make one of your own
Old 08-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I miss my VE

At tech school, Im up to "fuels", and we were talking about exhausts and intakes and stuff, so I asked the teacher if putting that CAI on cars gives better perfomance, and hes like "not unless you can make enough extra fuel and spark to make up for the increase in air on that engine. It wasn't designed to breath that way." That really made no sense to me, since I always thought that bolt-ons = better. Then I asked him if unrestricted exhaust systems make your car a bit faster, and he was like "no, because you actually want that back pressure there since the engine wasn't designed to operate with such unrestricted freedom that a straight pipe provides. You may actually make your car slower that way." Whats he babblin about? I have a tendancy to not listen to what all these teachers say about real life experiences since one of them was arguin with me about FWD bein better then RWD, and another one was telling me his VE is aluminum not knowing he was talking about a VQ and tellin me my FSM is lying.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:30 PM

In a vacuume with a totally overengineered engine he might be right. But in the real world .....
A- Your ECU can, and will be able to produce enough spark and fuel to maximize the greater flow

B- Yes some back pressure good, helps with scavenging (sp?)

C- Yes you can have to little back pressure, thats why there are more than 1 exhaust system. If 0 back pressure was good than all cars would have like 4 inch straight exhausts.

D-Quit that school and go somewhere they know more than theory.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by CyMax

D-Quit that school and go somewhere they know more than theory.
Luckily almost finished.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
At tech school, Im up to "fuels", and we were talking about exhausts and intakes and stuff, so I asked the teacher if putting that CAI on cars gives better perfomance, and hes like "not unless you can make enough extra fuel and spark to make up for the increase in air on that engine. It wasn't designed to breath that way." That really made no sense to me, since I always thought that bolt-ons = better. Then I asked him if unrestricted exhaust systems make your car a bit faster, and he was like "no, because you actually want that back pressure there since the engine wasn't designed to operate with such unrestricted freedom that a straight pipe provides. You may actually make your car slower that way." Whats he babblin about? I have a tendancy to not listen to what all these teachers say about real life experiences since one of them was arguin with me about FWD bein better then RWD, and another one was telling me his VE is aluminum not knowing he was talking about a VQ and tellin me my FSM is lying.
ok
ask him what if the car has a tendancy to run rich and then you add more air in to try and lean it out a bit

or maybe when I took 7% off the injector duty cycle with my SAFC-II the car went like a bat out of hell?

oh you could also ask your teacher about exhaust gas velocity. Maybe why 3 step headers make silly ammounts of power.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:51 PM

ok
ask him what if the car has a tendancy to run rich and then you add more air in to try and lean it out a bit

or maybe when I took 7% off the injector duty cycle with my SAFC-II the car went like a bat out of hell?

oh you could also ask your teacher about exhaust gas velocity. Maybe why 3 step headers make silly ammounts of power.
Owned again by a smart ****
Old 08-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Way out West

I think your teacher is more into classroom theory than real world applications.

My primary mods are:

-y-pipe

-cat-back exhaust with no cat

-Intake (pop charger)

-aluminum flywheel

My car runs almost a full second faster than a stock VE 5-speed. I can guarantee you that all of that reduction in time was not due to my flywheel. Somewhere, somehow, the exhaust flowing better and the intake pulling in more air helped it.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I think your teacher is more into classroom theory than real world applications.

I HATE this saying but in this sense it totally applies " Thoes who can do, thoes who can't teach"
Old 08-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin

My primary mods are:

-y-pipe

-cat-back exhaust with no cat

-Intake (pop charger)

-aluminum flywheel

My car runs almost a full second faster than a stock VE 5-speed. I can guarantee you that all of that reduction in time was not due to my flywheel. Somewhere, somehow, the exhaust flowing better and the intake pulling in more air helped it.
Perposterous! Engines flow just as much as they need to stock so you slowed your car down by putting them on, then your almighty fidanza made up the diffrence, then took off the second. I though you of all fidanza owners would know that...

I bet if that teacher read the org for a day hed more then double what he "knows"

~Alex

Old 08-15-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

You want a midpipe? I have my original Cattman midpipe painted silver as seen here. $50 shipped? It will come with everything you need to install. Pipes couplers and clamps.

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
i was reading on 4dsc.com and i saw this article

http://www.4dsc.com/articles/drivetr..._removal.shtml

was wondering if anyone else tried that and if they had similar results?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 AM

Dangit I want a midpipe.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:49 PM

well if you do this make sure you tighten the pvc pipe plug down real tight... Mine fell out and it sucks... the car wont run right... and if you had no idea this is what the previous owner did... it may be hard to figure out that there is a big hole in the bottom of your intake or why a piece of pvc pipe just fell out of the engine bay...
Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 PM

As Ninty-two-se pointed out, make sure you clamp the plug in place very thightly. If it falls out it will create an intake leak after the MAF sensor which can cause your car to run very lean since it will be ingesting much more air than the ECU thinks it is.

- Matt
Old 08-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Getting back to his roots

In a perfect world an exhaust system would resemble a venturi tube to keep exhaust gas velocity high, but since that is completely impractical to implement concessions are made for the sake of cost. Still, lots of stock exhausts are more restrictive than they could be, and gains could be had by using a better-designed (though probably more expensive) setup.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:21 PM

The student has become the teacher... buy Jeff's midpipe young grasshopper and speed away from unproven theory.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
In a perfect world an exhaust system would resemble a venturi tube to keep exhaust gas velocity high, but since that is completely impractical to implement concessions are made for the sake of cost. Still, lots of stock exhausts are more restrictive than they could be, and gains could be had by using a better-designed (though probably more expensive) setup.
you mean widest at the head and getting smaller right?

3 step headers make ALOT of power on V8's. Would do the same for maxima's but meh, no one here is going to bother.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Widest at the collector. Not the head.

AEM I think makes a 2 stage intake that uses two diff sized pipes. SCC dyno'd some nice numbers.

you mean widest at the head and getting smaller right?

3 step headers make ALOT of power on V8's. Would do the same for maxima's but meh, no one here is going to bother.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Widest at the collector. Not the head.

AEM I think makes a 2 stage intake that uses two diff sized pipes. SCC dyno'd some nice numbers.
err thats right

been a while
Old 08-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

Too long I guess..

err thats right

been a while
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 PM

finally found one

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...f_kooksheader/