3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wiki for 3rd (all) Maxima repair/maintenance/tune/upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Wiki for 3rd (all) Maxima repair/maintenance/tune/upgrade?

I was reading over the threads and realized that the Wiki (I personally recommend MediaWiki - used by Wikipedia) would be perfect for a Maxima Repair/Maintenance (etc) repository. Wikis (for those who do not know) are like living documents where everyone can contribute to the content of a Wiki (with moderation, of course). Additionally, the format of a Wiki is like a regular document and supports hyperlinking to other related Wikis with ease. You can include all kinds of media (pictures/video) and text making it superior to stickies on the message board. The nature of a Wiki is its built in document management - showing the historical evolution of the a document since its inception.

It would, of course, mean that a website (org/4dsc/etc.) would have to provide space for the Wiki, but imagine the benefits to all Maxima owners who ask the frequent questions.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by aksansai
I was reading over the threads and realized that the Wiki (I personally recommend MediaWiki - used by Wikipedia) would be perfect for a Maxima Repair/Maintenance (etc) repository. Wikis (for those who do not know) are like living documents where everyone can contribute to the content of a Wiki (with moderation, of course). Additionally, the format of a Wiki is like a regular document and supports hyperlinking to other related Wikis with ease. You can include all kinds of media (pictures/video) and text making it superior to stickies on the message board. The nature of a Wiki is its built in document management - showing the historical evolution of the a document since its inception.

It would, of course, mean that a website (org/4dsc/etc.) would have to provide space for the Wiki, but imagine the benefits to all Maxima owners who ask the frequent questions.

There is plenty of info on this site already....if you want to go through it all, and make a Wiki out of it for us, that would be great. Let us know when you are finished.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:24 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
There is plenty of info on this site already....if you want to go through it all, and make a Wiki out of it for us, that would be great. Let us know when you are finished.
My point is - need a site to host it. As far as the work? It would be fun re-compiling all the information into a clean format.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:17 PM

Not a bad idea, aksansai. I am sure that a number of people will be willing to help out if this thing gets off the ground.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:28 PM
mod or sell?

I can provide space.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
SHIFT_PANTS

Originally Posted by aksansai
My point is - need a site to host it. As far as the work? It would be fun re-compiling all the information into a clean format.

Wow I have to say you have work cut out for you, good luck. If you ever get it done I will personally pay you 100 dollhairs. .
Old 07-06-2005, 07:36 PM

Sounds like a great idea
Old 07-07-2005, 06:25 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I can provide space.
I need the following to get a Maxima wiki off the ground.

1) Bandwidth - site must be hosted on a connection that won't be capped at 250MB of month
2) Disk space - Mediawiki requirements are not that high. However, the content of the Wiki requires database space which inevitably translates to disk space. If you want the PDFs, pictures, videos, etc. - we need space. I figure at the bare minimum 500MB to start. If the Wiki takes off, we could move it or expand (as necessary).
3) Mediawiki (PHP).
4) mod_php 4+ for Mediawiki.
5) MySQL (preferred) or compatible database.
6) ssh access would be nice (makes development a whole lot easier).

Would anyone like to contribute their artistic skills for the Maxima Wiki? It would be great to get a good logo.

Shoot me an email if you can help out.

(aksansai) (at) (gmail.com)
Old 07-07-2005, 06:27 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by Maxmus_X
If you ever get it done I will personally pay you 100 dollhairs. .
Get your Ben Franklin ready. I believe this will be a great benefit to the Maxima community as a whole. And hopefully we'll get great contributions from people who do the work to help others save their time and frustration!
Old 07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

I have a site..

Thanks for all those who offered. I have a site up and running. I'm currently filling out all the basic information. I'm also seeking people who would be willing to moderate and edit information. I will consider those that have a good standing with the Org. Please send me an email at the aforementioned address.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:28 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Do-It-Yourself Maxima Wiki

I've put together the wiki and added a small bit of content (sort of as a template). I hope to get more as the days go on. I would also hope that people here (Jeff92se, Wiking, MrGone, etc.) would create their account and add to the Wiki (that is what it is intended for).

VISIT THE DIYMW (http://your.bamawisp.net/maxima)!

Old 07-07-2005, 07:11 PM

great job so far man thats pretty cool, keep it up
Old 07-07-2005, 07:38 PM

nice man. if i get around to it ill help with what i can.
whew thats a tough interface (sorry i design them)

i added a couple things. this thing could get big really fast with 6 gens of maximas and all the mods/upgrades/etc that there is.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:16 PM

i would give some help if you need it,

i would have some experience in mysql or the php forum,

and here is a free php that is running on a mysql server,

http://68.5.160.31:4029/westcoastmaxforum/

or need anything else tell me and i will help,
Old 07-08-2005, 04:13 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
i added a couple things. this thing could get big really fast with 6 gens of maximas and all the mods/upgrades/etc that there is.
Server has a lot of hard drive space. The more information the better. I'm hoping I can get most of the authors of content throughout the discussion board to all us to coagulate the information on the Wiki.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:21 AM

hey aksansai,

either you or i can take all of the stickies from our group and put it in the repair or upgrade section of the site,
Old 07-08-2005, 07:12 AM

ok you might want to look into automating a backup every night, because anyone who logs in can erase teh whole thing....just a thought.