3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wow! These cars can take quite a hit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 09:38 PM

Wow! These cars can take quite a hit...

Got rear-ended this Friday afternoon. Was stopped at a traffic light behind a long line of cars when a moron decided to run the yellow light behind me and slam right into me after stomping on the brakes and sliding for about 8 feet. I was watching him in my mirror the whole time. My car jerked and bumped into the car ahead of me.

I got out, fuming. Caught a glimpse of plenty of smashed glass and plastic between my car and his seemingly antique Plymouth Voyager. Much to my delight though, almost ALL of that was his. Practically NOTHING had happened to my car except for a 3-inch or so crack in the bumper plus a smashed clear license plate cover and a mangled plate. So I guess the bumper flexed in all the way to the plate and flexed back out. Now THAT wouldn't have happened in my old Civic!

As for the front, my beautiful new chrome Nissan plate with a big Nissan badge got mangled and the bracket got warped. That was it.

Finally, my exhaust now sounds like a CAI! I think a joint came lose somewhere. Plus, one of the outer rings on the muffler tips fell off.

That jerk didn't have insurance (cop didn't like that one bit). I only have liability. So I will be sending him the $600 estimate I got from a bodyshop (they want to replace both bumpers figuring he will pay for them). Alas, I don't believe he will or can for that matter. Even his Voyager didn't look like it was worth even $500. But I'll see what he gives me. At minimum, I want my Nissan plate and bracket, plus the exhaust repaired.

By the way, his blinkers smashed, headlights cracked, and the radiator sprung a big leak. Hooray!

And before you tell me this thread is worthless without pics, know that I don't have a digital camera
Old 05-22-2005, 11:05 PM

lol yeah when i got rear ended by my friend BMW ( 80 kmh maybe more ) all i got was ruined bumper and support , and fenders where a lil bit collapsed , but they manage to come back normal after a lil frame pull . His BMW was bumperles , cracked grill , frame backed up 5 inch so the crossmember hitted the oilpan , the drivin shaft curved and eated the teeth of the 2 diff . hood was curved .

My car was still doin 150 kmh ! no prob not even an exaust leak . his car was completly broken .

And there was this guy around here , who smashed into a house wall at 100 km/h , ended in the bathroom of the house , and the car was still rolling . The only thing that broke on the engine was the plastic intake , the rad and bla bla bla . not so bad .
Old 05-22-2005, 11:17 PM

Yeah, I should mention that my rough estimate of his speed at impact is around 25mph (around 39kph). I felt quite a jolt.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:01 PM

LOL in just playing man, hey hopefully you get all of your money man, good luck!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:29 PM

The insurance company still considers it your fault that you hit the person in front of you, even if he hit you first. The cops usually won't give you a ticket but it is likely that it will show up on your record next time your insurance cycles. I hope your rates don't go up.

That to say, he guy that hit you "technically" (accordingly to the insurance company) should not have to pay for your front end damage, but if he is willing pay you for it, go for it.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The front end damage would not have taken place if the Voyager had not rear ended him. How does this relieve the Voyager driver from being responsible for the front end damage to the Maxima? Furthermore, are you saying that the Voyager is not at fault for any damage to the front car caused by the Maxima hitting it?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:14 PM

You shoulda taken out a bat and smashed up his car some more. Yeah I've been rear ended twice and I've been alright. The integra and avalon were ok as well they rear ended me at a red light cause they thought I would turn right and they're stupid. I only got some scratches. I love my cars rear.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Dude, I've got NOS!!!1!!1!1one

yea maximas are strong as hell. a few months ago I was driving in the snow down on state near my house and some camry cut me off and spun out in front of me I hit it going like 15-20 mph and only lost my plate, and even though I "rearended" the camry I didnt get a ticket or insurance increase yay! good luck with getting your car fixed hope the other guy is decent about paying it back
Old 05-23-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by RamJetMax
The insurance company still considers it your fault that you hit the person in front of you, even if he hit you first. The cops usually won't give you a ticket but it is likely that it will show up on your record next time your insurance cycles. I hope your rates don't go up.

That to say, he guy that hit you "technically" (accordingly to the insurance company) should not have to pay for your front end damage, but if he is willing pay you for it, go for it.

Good luck.

I hope your not my claim rep.......the front end damage would have not occured if it wasn't for the voyager. i did not read his post completely but i am assuming he was in a complete stop prior to the accident therefore making the voyager at fault.....
Old 05-23-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
The front end damage would not have taken place if the Voyager had not rear ended him. How does this relieve the Voyager driver from being responsible for the front end damage to the Maxima? Furthermore, are you saying that the Voyager is not at fault for any damage to the front car caused by the Maxima hitting it?

Well I can vouch first hand that in CA it does. He hit you ( failure to stop ) you hit the car in front of you ( YOUR following too close ). At least thats the way I remember it. Not the way anyonew with a lick of common sense would think but the fat cats ( ie rich bastards of the world ) all they want is MONEY!!! Mine your's theirs it dosen't matter. Best of luck man I wish you the best.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:56 PM

But if he was at a complete stop, he wasn't following anybody.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
Let me back up, I was once, many moons ago, the guy who rear ended a car that in turn, hit the car in front of that car. Now, when I was dealing with the insurance company, they told me that I was only responsible for the car I hit.

Like you, I inquired why I was not also responsible for the other car, it did not seem intuitive. They said it was becuause they even though the person was stopped, they did not leave enough space in between cars.

I know it does not seem fair, but that is the way it is. Again, I was dealing with my insurance company in my state and that is what I was told. Maybe it is not just but that is the way it is (or was).
Old 05-23-2005, 04:07 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CyMax
He hit you ( failure to stop ) you hit the car in front of you ( YOUR following too close ).
that's how it works.
it sucks like that, but that's the way it is
even if you were stopped you were still too close (check your law books, it usually says something about minimum distance at a stop too. something about being able to see their tires meet the road)
Old 05-23-2005, 04:32 PM

but he was stopped at a light, completely stopped am i right???? so you serre basicaly pushed into him.....some dipsy broad cut off my dad in his RAM 2500 Diesel, he pushed her half way into the intersection, good thing a cop saw the whole thing!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:04 PM

I agree that the cars can take a hit. I got rear-ended the morning after I got my maxima and he pushed me into my older bro. Speed limit was 40 mph (he said thats how fast he was going) and he had no skid marks. I ended up with the right side of my bumper splintered a little and a bent licence plate. His car (early 90's grand am) was totalled
Old 05-23-2005, 07:36 PM

Insurance companies are the Evil Empire. They'll find any excuse not to pay.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:44 PM

The maximas aren't THAT strong, go here to see results of a 25 m.ph. T-bone.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=405847
Old 05-23-2005, 08:16 PM

Well, when it comes time, you should get an opportunity to fight the surcharge at a hearing(sometimes, even after it is reflected on your insurance). I believe you need to be considered > 50% or more 'at fault' in order for your SDIP to get increased.

This is what Ins. companies use to calculate your insurance. You should have no problem convincing the "Judge/Magistrate" that you are < 50% 'at fault' regarding the accident. This is his only purpose : to decide whether you were OR were not <> 50%. They do not work for the Ins. companies.
> 50% = Higher SDIP = Ins. rate increase.
< 50% = no increase in SDIP = Same Ins. rate.

- Jim
Old 05-23-2005, 09:07 PM

Our cars do hold up well. I got rear-ended a couple of weeks ater I bought my car by a 16 year old chick in a blazer. It scratched my bumper and took out my license plate lights, but who needs those, anyway? Finally gonna repaint that rear bumper cover this summer!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by garbury
The maximas aren't THAT strong, go here to see results of a 25 m.ph. T-bone.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=405847
Nothing except a tank would come out scratchless after t-boning a car. You are hitting the most rigid parts of the structure--the side impact bars and the B-pillar. Rear-ending (especially when perfectly parallel) involves the softest part--bumper.

My utter surprise at the impact-absorbing quality of our rear bumpers continues. How did it flex out 5-6 inches after the impact and not even have ONE scratch? Or even folds in the paint? If it weren't for the tiny crack (no gap), it would be tough for me to even prove that I was hit.

Yes, I was at a complete stop, and yes, getting bumped into the car ahead of me would probably be considered my fault, now that I think about it. That is just as much of a BS insurance policy as being held responsible if someone cuts to within inches ahead of you and slams on the brakes, although you couldn't possibly have readjusted the distance that fast.

I wonder what the insurance company would say if someone is rear-ended by someone doing 80 and sending them 30 feet ahead to ram into another car.

I was stopped at least 5 feet behind the car I was pushed into, so it suffered practically zero damage and the driver is not claiming a thing. Interestingly enough, she was a friend of mine. What are the odds!

I am yet to contact that idiot in the Voyager. I will threaten civil action if he refuses to pay (the cop offered that gem). Hopefully, he will settle.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:18 PM

[QUOTE]Nothing except a tank would come out scratchless after t-boning a car. You are hitting the most rigid parts of the structure--the side impact bars and the B-pillar. Rear-ending (especially when perfectly parallel) involves the softest part--bumper.

Hmm, that makes sense. I never understood that whole thing about fault if you get hit into someone else. When you call the guy about the civil suit, tell him you've been seeing the chiropractor for whiplash. With all the injury suits goin on these days, it may scare him into settling and fixing your car.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 PM

tell him you've been seeing the chiropractor for whiplash. With all the injury suits goin on these days, it may scare him into settling and fixing your car.

Except that you would be lying.