3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My max is finally done! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:45 AM

My max is finally done! :)

its true, my dad finally finished my maxima. Like my profile says, it's a white 92se, we put a 94 VE30DE in there after my uncle hydrolocked the original motor. Now I have a few questions that I'd like to ask all you guys, my dad is a good man but he doesnt know everything

We got it all put together and the engine wants to idle unstable, it might have had some stale gas so i threw in 2 gallons of 101 octane(at half tank) and my dad threw in some octane booster and fuel injecter cleaner and it seemed to be ok for a while. then i figured the stale gas was about done (at a quarter) and i filled it up with with 91 octane. the idle got worse; so I put in some octane booster and injecter cleaner and it was a little better, but it still seems rough. Any clue? I salvaged 6 fuel injecters from my old engine just incase.

Next issue, the tranny it seems, is making a whining noise. When I'm in gear and slowing down its the most noticable. You can't hear it when you arent in gear, only when you're in gear. We changed the gear fluid once the first day and it was white. Anywho, this is all i can remember for now, the car runs great, its power is magnificent.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont know the answers to your questions, put post some pics!!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:51 AM

in good time, I'd like to get my G35 rims on it first
Old 03-27-2005, 11:25 AM

mine makes the same whining noise

I wouldn't bother with all of the octane boosters, just use premium for a few tanks, keeping things basic will help out.

Are your VTC's grounded?

Check all the vacuum hoses. How bad is 'unstable' ?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:08 PM

Maxima NEVER done!
Old 03-27-2005, 03:12 PM

hrm well unstable like, i idle at 500-600 rpms with ac off, and lately it only drops below that really low like when i first start the car, once it gets going its not bad. but it goes *putt putt* when it does O_O
Old 03-27-2005, 03:23 PM

the whining noise in the transmission might be a bad input bearing, happened to my first transmission and i hear it might be common for our maximas... curious is the car a 5-speed? also with the rough idle make sure all the plug wires are connected properly and check for any vacuum leaks (maybe a hose is not connected?)
Old 03-27-2005, 04:30 PM

it's a 5-speed, I dont know if the vtc's are grounded, whatever stock is thats what it is. I'll have my dad check all the vacuum hoses and plugs etc.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:11 PM

how did your uncle hydrolock the engine?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:53 PM

he drove through big puddle going very fast
Old 03-27-2005, 09:05 PM

don't keep running octane booster and fuel injector cleaner, its not good to keep loadin that in your car, however after a while every 1500-3000 miles i would run sea foam, i am a big advocate of this product after it totally stabalized my idle
Old 03-27-2005, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
he drove through big puddle going very fast

did u have a cold air intake?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:28 PM

i don't have cold air intake, and neither did my uncle... like i said... it was a big puddle.

Also, where can i get that sea foam stuff from? any local places?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:31 PM

i don't have cold air intake, and neither did my uncle... like i said... it was a big puddle.

Also, where can i get that sea foam stuff from? any local places?
yeah autozone, read directions tho, you are only supposed to use ounces per gallon of gas and only certain amount in vaccum line, i think i twas 5 bucks at autozone
Old 03-27-2005, 09:35 PM

cool, I'll give that a try. Should I use it now or run a few tanks of gas with out the octane booster and fuel injecter cleaner? I think I might run a few tanks with out all that extra stuff just to see what happens. Today my car when i first start it up even likes to stall sometimes if i let it idle too long. *depressing*
Old 03-27-2005, 09:44 PM

yeah run all that stuff through
Old 03-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

nice to see someone from arizona in here.

Anywho you could try raising the idle a little to keep it from stalling. Only do this as a temproray fix until you figure out what to do. Not sure if the ve has the same type of aac valve screw as the vg, but it should be somewhere around the air intake, just turn it a little to adjust the idle.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:04 PM

couple things, gotta see some pics!!!

Secondly, what is "sea foam" my 94 se has a rough idle and i always chalked it up to a bad fuel injector that i was going to get around to this spring. This sounds interesting.
And lastly, what excatly happens when you hydrolock an engine?
Thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 11:51 PM

...but he doesnt know everything

...Any clue? I salvaged 6 fuel injecters from my old engine just incase.

Next issue, the tranny it seems, is making a whining noise. When I'm in gear and slowing down its the most noticable. You can't hear it when you arent in gear, only when you're in gear. ...

Dads are like that. Granddads even better ...much better than uncles.

Octane is not the issue. Carbon buildup at IACV and/or TB. Its diff place in VE, but similar: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/4
Clean those.

Gearbox: White oil means water. Water means bad lubrication. Bad lubrication means bad bearings. Fits with u noise...

Btw hydrolock: Engine is good at compressing air, not water. Stops as water is virtually uncompressible, breaks down as uncles try it... I've heard thirsty horses get killed by 'hydrolock' which is reAlly smtg else.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:54 PM

i don't have cold air intake, and neither did my uncle... like i said... it was a big puddle. ....any local places?
Note: Stock cars do ALL have a cold air intake... like Maxima. My maxima has now swiss ½ CAI...
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/2
Old 03-28-2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by eventnick
couple things, gotta see some pics!!!

Secondly, what is "sea foam" my 94 se has a rough idle and i always chalked it up to a bad fuel injector that i was going to get around to this spring. This sounds interesting.
And lastly, what excatly happens when you hydrolock an engine?
Thanks

just to answer your question, sea foam is just a liquid that losesn up deposits, it helps to clean and unclog injectors, it is not a fix all if you have a bigger problem but can make a difference if you have build up. If you think you have faulty injectors i'd run the foam and see what happens then think about replacing, i think 140 each from nissan 95 each from autozone, but look for a deal here, or buy salvaged.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:11 AM
mod or sell?

or buy the injectors from www.internetautomart.com support a fellow orger
Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 PM

well, I took my car down to ABC Nissan, where my dad used to work (currently works at Mark Mitsubishi). I had one of the techs there look at my car, and he said my fuel injector #2 is bad, I have an exhaust leak (which is throwing off my O2 sensor) in turn making my idle suck *****, and the berring inside of my transmission needs to be replaced.

Lucky for me, I stole all 6 fuel injectors off my old engine before sending it back to the junk yard. One of those damn things has to be good, my dad can weld the exhaust leak if he can find it. now my only question is, how much is this berring going to cost me, and any clue on how long it woudl take to replace?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 PM

thanks brendan, helped alot. and if the seafoam doesnt do any good automar, ill be hittin you up.
Thanks guys
Old 03-28-2005, 10:41 PM

well, I took my car down to ABC Nissan, .... how much is this berring going to cost me, and any clue on how long it woudl take to replace?
Its not the fall - its the sudden stop.

BearIng is REAL cheap compared to the job: replace clutch also as u take tranny out. I would seek another tranny...

Ask prices from u ABC man.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:08 PM

im sure the G35 rims are going to look wicked on your maxima, post some pics after.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:09 PM

how much did the new engine you put in your maxima run you?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:07 PM

well, replaced my Y pipe and my catalytic converter with warpspeeds Y pipe and high flow cat. Surprisingly enough, that fixed most of my idle issues, I still need to replace a gasket in the engine manifold or something, cant remember what it was called now. As for the G35 rims, I'll be posting a seperate thread on that once they are installed. My tranny seems to be doing a lot better, so I won't be replacing that bearing right away.

Originally Posted by Strife
how much did the new engine you put in your maxima run you?
750 or so.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:48 AM

its true, my dad finally finished my maxima. Like my profile says, it's a white 92se, we put a 94 VE30DE in there after my uncle hydrolocked the original motor. Now I have a few questions that I'd like to ask all you guys, my dad is a good man but he doesnt know everything

We got it all put together and the engine wants to idle unstable, it might have had some stale gas so i threw in 2 gallons of 101 octane(at half tank) and my dad threw in some octane booster and fuel injecter cleaner and it seemed to be ok for a while. then i figured the stale gas was about done (at a quarter) and i filled it up with with 91 octane. the idle got worse; so I put in some octane booster and injecter cleaner and it was a little better, but it still seems rough. Any clue? I salvaged 6 fuel injecters from my old engine just incase.

There is an idle screw, raise your base idle to about 800rpm. But its probably your idle air control valve (iacv) that has a lot of carbon build up. It can be taken apart and cleaned out.

put-put, is usually one or more bad injectors (possibley leaking), but probably plugged up.

edit: did you guys set the timming?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well now it's hot air intake as where the air draws is probably the hottest part of the engine comparment.

Originally Posted by Wiking
Note: Stock cars do ALL have a cold air intake... like Maxima. My maxima has now swiss ½ CAI...
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/2
Old 04-05-2005, 01:55 AM

yay, changed the fuel injector today, made one hell of a difference! The car was stalling left and right all day, not to mention my altenator went bad too! I had to buy a new battery also, because the old one was shot. funny thing is, I had the car pass emissions with my bad fuel injector, my car kept stalling during the tests. I felt bad for the guy working with my car . Not sure if the car still goes "putt putt", but I havn't noticed it so I think it's safe to say that it doesn't. btw, warpspeed y pipe and high flow cat rocks my world
Old 04-05-2005, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well now it's hot air intake as where the air draws is probably the hottest part of the engine comparment.
Pprobabbly lol. U forget the oriGinal pipe Still sucks front... U also forget I drive my car, and boy how air moves!... AND U have yet to measuRe airboxbox temp...
Old 04-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

cool sounds like i got the same problem