3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

anyone wanna take bets on my tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

anyone wanna take bets on my tranny problem?

If you had to guess whats wrong with it what would you put your money on.

situation.

I had the tranny rebuilt in october, I didnt drive the max again untill early december, the night I drove it, it was really cold (in the teens) I drove it around for about 10 minutes (taking it easy the whole time) when I was done I parked it (outside) and the next morning it had dumped about 3 or more quarts of what Im 99.9% sure is gear oil on the driveway. It looked like it came from somewhere upfront on the drivers side. so being fed up with the car I put it in the garage so it wouldnt leak on the driveway and eventually ended up moving it back outside and not dealing with it untill now.

Im gonna bring it back to my mechanic next friday so he can take a look at it but I want to see if I can get an idea on what its gonna cost to fix (big deal or something simple) , pretty much everyone Ive asked has told me its probably leaking from a seal, but I think thats alot of fluid to lose in just a few hours, since that night it hasnt really lost any more than a few ( so its safe to assume that the fluid level is below the leak.)

thoughts?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I would agree with the seal. At least you better hope so.

My guess is that the axle either came out some because they didnt seat it properly (seems to be a problem with our cars) or they didnt replace the seal and it went south on you.

If its not something simple like that then it could be a crack in the trans to a loose or missing drain plug or filler plug (if parked on a down hill slope).

Good luck with it and drive it more often .

It is good to see you put it back in your sig.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:49 AM

A broken seal can leak more than you think....because when i had my audi 5000(LL cool j style) i had a broken head gasket that was a tiny little tear that didnt even look bad at all to me, but it leaked reallly bad. hopefully it gets fixed for free, since it looks like you put bout only 25 miles on it since the rebuild.

oh if you need someone to drive your max, i think i could work out a deal where i came and drove it on the weekends so it wouldnt just sit there (i mean its asking to be driven) jk
Old 03-12-2005, 09:55 AM

im gonna say +1 on the seal.....my tranny has a slight leak, i noticed it about a month after it was back on the road and its coming from the driver side axle seal. At the time it was still warrantied by jeff (i got the used tranny through him) but its a cheap part at the dealer so ill just do it myself once it gets warmer

i really dont know what else it can be, or where else the fluid can leak from... maybe before you make the trip out there fill it with some cheapo fluid and drive around town a bit to see and make sure it doesnt leak much
Old 03-12-2005, 02:37 PM

just for $hits, check the fill plug.. matt told me if i didnt use a sealent it would slowly leak.. but i don't think that much fluid would come from the fill plug...

happy you changed the sig, i almost forgot how good you car looks....

edit.. i got $5,000.00 on its the filler plug (i bet it fell out )... you take paypal right?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

well the axle seals are brand new, so I hope its that and not a cracked case, and yeah I need to start driving it more, it just gets frustrating after you dump another grand into fixng the tranny and then it breaks again. but after taking a rest from my max Im ready to start on it again, ive got my stillen sts comming soon (thanks to Izzy) so no more shifting with a wet noodle (smc sts) plus the warm weather will be nice to drive around in again. I guess me and my car just needed some time apart
Old 03-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by Maximan190
im gonna say +1 on the seal.....my tranny has a slight leak, i noticed it about a month after it was back on the road and its coming from the driver side axle seal. At the time it was still warrantied by jeff (i got the used tranny through him) but its a cheap part at the dealer so ill just do it myself once it gets warmer

i really dont know what else it can be, or where else the fluid can leak from... maybe before you make the trip out there fill it with some cheapo fluid and drive around town a bit to see and make sure it doesnt leak much

well Im not gonna drive it out there with no fluid, it dumped like 3 quarts within a matter of hours while it was parked, Im having it flat beded to Andys so I dont have to worry about messing anything up.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:47 PM

well i will just jump on the bandwagon here and tell u that it could be the seals (hopefully) or a crack in the case but hope its just the seals. nice to c ur car back on ur sig again btw.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
well the axle seals are brand new, so I hope its that and not a cracked case, and yeah I need to start driving it more, it just gets frustrating after you dump another grand into fixng the tranny and then it breaks again. but after taking a rest from my max Im ready to start on it again, ive got my stillen sts comming soon (thanks to Izzy) so no more shifting with a wet noodle (smc sts) plus the warm weather will be nice to drive around in again. I guess me and my car just needed some time apart

No problem, the least i can do since you held my max for 8+months. You have been there when i needed the help. Midnight modding, the hole nine. Since i have been on the org, What now 3+ years. I will let you know about friday, might go in the afternoon, and you can two way me if you want help on friday morning. WE should get our sts from Stillen on Fri, hopefully.

I just hope its just the oil seal. Since maybe that just didnt sit well. Andy will fix it up in no time.

Ah you Max is just asking to be driven, she is getting jealous of the g35
Old 03-13-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan190

if you have a warrenty just have Jeff do it. I sense no reason why you rebuilt your motor, when you could have just gotten the JDM motor and install it yourself. But hey to each their own. I guess the advice that your "friends" give you dont count, ... its cool.. Is your car running again?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
well i will just jump on the bandwagon here and tell u that it could be the seals (hopefully) or a crack in the case but hope its just the seals. nice to c ur car back on ur sig again btw.

The mechanic used the same housing from the orginial tranny he had, the "donor" tranny had the bell housing crack. The internals was just swapped. I saw Jays gears, man was 2nd gear gone!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:09 PM

well Im not gonna drive it out there with no fluid, it dumped like 3 quarts within a matter of hours while it was parked, Im having it flat beded to Andys so I dont have to worry about messing anything up.

yeah, advice from a guy who did a 5spd swap, didnt have the tranny rebuilt, and then didnt order a JDM VE, and now costing him 2-3 times more on parts just to get what you did at a fraction and less time.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:26 AM

Would i be the only one to suggest that the problem is not the seal but the axle itself.
I am speaking from my own experience that if you didn't get the axle from your Nissan dealer, the chances are you didn't get the right axle, there are LSD/auto, LSD/5sp, non LSD/auto, non LSD/auto. Believe it or not the axle for the auto pop right into the 5sp tranny, or the other way around. the only different is the lenght (as i remember the different is about an inch), and that my friend, is what causes the seal to leak, cause the axle not to go in the tranny far enough for the seal to keep the oil in the tranny.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ive got my stillen sts comming soon (thanks to Izzy)
Can I get in on that?

Originally Posted by ChrisCheezer
edit.. i got $5,000.00 on its the filler plug (i bet it fell out )... you take paypal right?
If you are wrong and dont follow through thats grounds for a ban.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:46 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by NismoChi
Would i be the only one to suggest that the problem is not the seal but the axle itself.
I am speaking from my own experience that if you didn't get the axle from your Nissan dealer, the chances are you didn't get the right axle, there are LSD/auto, LSD/5sp, non LSD/auto, non LSD/auto. Believe it or not the axle for the auto pop right into the 5sp tranny, or the other way around. the only different is the lenght (as i remember the different is about an inch), and that my friend, is what causes the seal to leak, cause the axle not to go in the tranny far enough for the seal to keep the oil in the tranny.

I had the new axels for a while before I did the tranny, so dont think thats the problem, but we will see I guess.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by crazy4maxima
if you have a warrenty just have Jeff do it. I sense no reason why you rebuilt your motor, when you could have just gotten the JDM motor and install it yourself. But hey to each their own. I guess the advice that your "friends" give you dont count, ... its cool.. Is your car running again?

I would take a fresh rebuilt motor over a JDM any day of the week. Think about it you are getting new over used. you know exactly what was done and how the thing is internally. WIth a JDM its a gamble...you dont know the exac milage, you dont know how well it was maintained etc etc.

Dont dog someone because they want to spend the money to do it like he wanted to do it.

JDMs are fine but if it were me I would rebuild as well if I had the money.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:49 AM
mod or sell?

yeah but a rebiult isn't "JDM" and we all know JDM is worth an extra 10 hp on anyhting.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

just for $hits, check the fill plug.. matt told me if i didnt use a sealent it would slowly leak.. but i don't think that much fluid would come from the fill plug...

happy you changed the sig, i almost forgot how good you car looks....

well unless it fell out and imploded I woulda seen it on the ground after I moved the car into the garage. lets just hope its something cheap and easy to fix because Im tired of spending money on this car on stupid stuff like this.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Check the Position Switch (tells the ECU to turn on the reverse lights). Mine fell out and dumped most of my gear oil...Also, check the c ring on the axle, and make sure it's all the way in...I had mine leak about three times before I pushed it in far enough.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:38 PM

I've discussed this before, mainly for the reasons that michael just said

Plus rebuilding a motor is tons more fun and interesting than just swapping a motor in and out. Its more expensive yes, but the experience and peace of mind is priceless, knowing exactly everything that I did and that i have zero miles on it . Yea Jay got lucky with his JDM, who knows that the motor couldve been a dog. Would I prefer to do it again to this motor or any of the like, no... small/big block Chevy, absolutely. I like doing my own work and being challenged, because Im kind of going to college for this...a major in engineering
Old 03-15-2005, 08:26 AM

so then you rebuild a motor but not a tranny Does that make sense,? and what you talking about ) mileage, Its still the same engine with new parts. If that is the case then i have a new car since i put new things in it all the time, its like having a off the lot car, Glad you did it yourself, really. BUt just that you spent money on an engine, then tranny parts,twice, and while your doing all that, you got another beater car.? Oh well Hope you bolt everything back up. ALso if you have a warrenty the best thing to do is use it, why pay for something, for it to later be fixed again. i should know, My high flow cat went el-poop w/ ~6 k on it. didnt sent warrenty card, now have to get another installed
Old 03-15-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm needing a caw

Put it on jacks or ramps. Grab the axle right where it enters the tranny. Try to move up up/down. If it moves more than a 1/4" or so, you outputshaft bearing is toast. If not, check:
1) That the axle is all the way in.
2) That the seal is straight.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

so then you rebuild a motor but not a tranny Does that make sense,? and what you talking about ) mileage, Its still the same engine with new parts. If that is the case then i have a new car since i put new things in it all the time, its like having a off the lot car, Glad you did it yourself, really. BUt just that you spent money on an engine, then tranny parts,twice, and while your doing all that, you got another beater car.? Oh well Hope you bolt everything back up. ALso if you have a warrenty the best thing to do is use it, why pay for something, for it to later be fixed again. i should know, My high flow cat went el-poop w/ ~6 k on it. didnt sent warrenty card, now have to get another installed

holy cow you really have no idea what you are talking about do you. Sorry I know you are a good guy and all so I am not flaming you but come on a rebuilt 150K motor is not the same thing as a regular 150K motor (just using 150K as an example I dont know how many miles are on his motor).

The only thing that has that many miles on it is the non wear items (rods, crank...yeah it wears but you get it turned to have brand new journals..., block, heads etc.)

So yes a rebuilt motor is a "new" motor because the wear items are replaced. New rings--better seal so it has more compression and doesnt burn oil, bearings--new back to tollorances so the oil pressure is up to new conditions etc etc etc.

You just dont get it and you need to do a little more research before you start giving someone advice about not rebuilding something
Old 03-24-2005, 06:23 PM

***digging***** I mean update****

The answer to Jays problem was, as stated by poster #2 awsm66 , #13NismoChi ,#22 Jeff92se, axle wasnt seated properly all the way in fully.
Well last Friday Jason braught his max on a car transporter to our mechanic. The shop was filled with cars that needed servicing. As of yesterday he had it on the lift. Upon further inspection Andy found that it wasnt the seal but it was the right axle. The same location where it was leaking. Seems like it wasnt fully seated properly all the way in. That is why his max leaked tranny fuild on his drive way since its level and his maxima had time to sit.
While on the lift Jay got an oil change and something else that he had been wanted to get installed. As a present for the help that he has done I ordered 2 Stillen STS. Had it installed. Man it is so short its not even funny. It well made high quality item!! The only problem is that you DO have to file the shifter on the bottom side so that it can engage all gears, yeah that is how short the shift is between gears. Andy, out mech, told use it was a PITA to install.
I met up with Jay and Juan at Andy's. Dropped off my max for her time to see the doctor for her upgrades.
Jay offered to drop me at home, and along the way his car felt so sick.... He was so astonished at the shift. He had this huge grin,(just like the look after you just had the best fu(k of your life , oh yeah he loved it.
I did take the chance to throw some gears, all i can say i am gonna certainly miss some gears, cause its so close. The hight is the same as stock, but dont let that fool you. Cant wait to see how mines come out....

oh poster # 5 aka ChrisCheezer, I hope you have paypal, may it payable to crazyizzy@yahoo.com, I will then give money to Jason after it clears
ChrisCheezer
Old 03-25-2005, 06:20 AM

id say a seal too, sounds pretty logical,but even if the fluid is bleow the level; that it dont leak anmore, i wouldnt drive it, if ther eis an idiot light on your dash, and it foes on, then you are REALLY LOW on the oil or whatever, BTW what color was teh fluid?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
id say a seal too, sounds pretty logical,but even if the fluid is bleow the level; that it dont leak anmore, i wouldnt drive it, if ther eis an idiot light on your dash, and it foes on, then you are REALLY LOW on the oil or whatever, BTW what color was teh fluid?

read the post above you, the axel wasnt seated properly, he poped it in and filled the fluid up. I can tell you how much better it is now with the stillen STS... the throw is really short but its percise which is what I was looking for, Ive got to detail it and tidey a few more things up before I can really enjoy driving it though. But no tranny fluid on the driveway this morning was a big plus.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

so I was first to respond and I also go it right so what do I win?

Glad it was an easy fix. The axle thing is pretty common...same thing happened to me when we put the motor in my 92.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

Why did it have to go to a shop for this? Just shove the thing in more?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why did it have to go to a shop for this? Just shove the thing in more?

cause I paid to have the tranny redone and if its covered why should I do it? plus I had to get my sts installed and I had the oil changed while it was there. not to mention I didnt know it just had to be re-inserted.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by awsm66
so I was first to respond and I also go it right so what do I win?

if you read the first post I think Chris owes you 5 grand via paypal.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you read the first post I think Chris owes you 5 grand via paypal.
But dont forget the 20% enforcer fee for your's truely. (reference post 14)
Old 03-25-2005, 03:42 PM

looking for chris where are you prob