3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

info on e36 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 10:49 PM

info on e36 conversion

does any one has info on the materials and instruction for the no gap install. Also I have a pair of e36 headlights with the projectors and dde's that will soon be installed. Does anyone know if this type of headlight requires more cutting, mod. will it work?! And what does anyone suggest the type of paint to change clear corners to the UK look. I've heard a tint clear? thank for anyones help.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:25 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=296407
Old 03-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/184035/9 is the info I have. No writeup because all you do is cut it adn put some rubber hose on the end to help seal it against the corner light (and to make it blend in better).

For the UK look I can do them for you (check the link Maxima_Mike put up). It would be WAY cheaper for me to do it than you go out and buy the material and equipment to do it.

Heck for cheap clear (I dont use cheap clear but got prices) its over $30 a quart plus catalist (15) or so. Then you have to buy tinting paint which can be expensive unless you are friends with the paint guy because you buy so much from him and he just pours you some in a small can . I use grey and black with just the right mixture. It took me several tries and a lot of wasted paint before I got the mixture satisfactory. then you have the cost of a spray gun, air compressor or the ability to lay the clear down nice and slick. Or a buffer if you dont get it nice and slick.

You can get spray tint but IMO it is either too dark or yellow looking and will fade over time.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Loved by MrGone longtime

Mike that was an excellent sales pitch.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have the projectors with the glass cover then it is more work to get them installed. You just have to do more cutting. The lights are bigger than the U.S spec ones, so you will have a no gap install automatically.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by reygarcia
Mike that was an excellent sales pitch.

LOL. You know I just knew that when I first introduced this that I would be doing so many that I wouldnt be able to keep up. I mean how many times do people ask for UK corners. Granted they arent true UK corners but they look pretty close and would look good with the conversion.

You know how many I have done for people. 1 set...thats right all those people that want UK corners and only 1 person got some done (and he is happy with them even though they were darker than I like to do...that was his request though...darker the better). Oh I have had a bunch of people interested but I hardly ever hear back from them after I tell them how much. Maybe people think they are too expensive...dont trust me...cant part with their lights for a week . All of that is understandable but I just thought I would do more than 1 set LOL.

I just know this is the main reason I have not gotten any clears and tinted them to sell as a whole. I would probably be stuck with them if I did.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

If you bought 2 sets, I am sure you could eventually sell them. They is someone always looking to upgrade. I think ppl don't want to wait for them to get done. If you have a finished set already someone is going to get them.

I prefer the smoked look myself. I bought a set of clears a couple of months ago and thought that they were too white. Then I saw Sola selling his smoked ones and jumped on those. The smoked ones are much better looking than the regular clears.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
LOL. You know I just knew that when I first introduced this that I would be doing so many that I wouldnt be able to keep up. I mean how many times do people ask for UK corners. Granted they arent true UK corners but they look pretty close and would look good with the conversion.

You know how many I have done for people. 1 set...thats right all those people that want UK corners and only 1 person got some done (and he is happy with them even though they were darker than I like to do...that was his request though...darker the better). Oh I have had a bunch of people interested but I hardly ever hear back from them after I tell them how much. Maybe people think they are too expensive...dont trust me...cant part with their lights for a week . All of that is understandable but I just thought I would do more than 1 set LOL.

I just know this is the main reason I have not gotten any clears and tinted them to sell as a whole. I would probably be stuck with them if I did.
Mike i was one of those people that asked about them as where i can get ahold of a pair but instead i just cracked open my clears and painted the inside black and not mess with tinting the clear. theres pics of it on my site if u want to look. i know its a little different than the UK ones but at least its something close u know and i tried.

BTW bigmax90: what Brad92SE said on his post is true and yes they will work so good luck.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:02 PM

Easy there awsm66! I am one of those interesed in the smoked corners so let me tell you why I am not jumping on opportunity, just so you know. I won't do the smoked corners until I do the BMW conversion and I'm not sure if I want to deal with that. What I will do though is start another thread and do some advertising for you to try to draw some interest. Maybe that would help you out some.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by rosamax
Easy there awsm66! I am one of those interesed in the smoked corners so let me tell you why I am not jumping on opportunity, just so you know. I won't do the smoked corners until I do the BMW conversion and I'm not sure if I want to deal with that. What I will do though is start another thread and do some advertising for you to try to draw some interest. Maybe that would help you out some.

you guys are misunderstanding me. I am not ticked at anyone or anything (heck I inquire about stuff all the time and find out I cant afford it or its more than I am willing to pay) and I am not even talking about recently (I know you mentioned it the other day Rosamax and said you had maint. to do before you did the conversion) or about anyone in particular.

I am just saying that I have not had the interest that I thought I would thats all. Its just one of those things...no big deal...I havent really been pushing them either (just mentioned them in these 2 threads just for the heck of it). I just thought I would offer it because I would get so many emails from people asking where they could get UK corners.

As long as I still have paint equipment I can do these and will if someone wants me to. I didnt post that to rush people or to lay a guilt trip or anything.

Just wanted to make it clear guys. I am not doing this to make money anyway. If I actually sat down and figured how much it costs me to do these I probably wouldnt do them LOL j/k.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:13 PM

I am with you all the way. If people are willing to spend over $150 for the BMW lights and conversion then they should be willing to spend a few extra $ and do the corners and in my opinion they should do the bumper lights too. No offense to anyone, but I think the BMW lights look out of place unless you do the smoked corners. Just keep that equiptment around so that you can do mine when the time comes I am looking forward to it.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:15 PM

I am with you all the way. If people are willing to spend over $150 for the BMW lights and conversion then they should be willing to spend a few extra $ and do the corners and in my opinion they should do the bumper lights too. No offense to anyone, but I think the BMW lights look out of place unless you do the smoked corners. Just keep that equiptment around so that you can do mine when the time comes I am looking forward to it.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:27 PM