3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Has anyone done a LED tail lights mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 04:31 PM

Has anyone done a LED tail lights mod

I like the look of the luxuary cars with the rear tails done in LED's
The fast response of the LED's on/off cycle looks pretty cool. Now dont get me wrong I'm not talking about altezzas or anything. Using some led's with a wide dispersion pattern should be diffuse enough so that it doesnt look ricy. Just an idea, wondering if anyone else has thought of doing it
Old 03-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eric93SE
I like the look of the luxuary cars with the rear tails done in LED's
The fast response of the LED's on/off cycle looks pretty cool. Now dont get me wrong I'm not talking about altezzas or anything. Using some led's with a wide dispersion pattern should be diffuse enough so that it doesnt look ricy. Just an idea, wondering if anyone else has thought of doing it

I am not sure if anyone else has done it, there are some little LED bulb replacements that fit right in.

But....here at my school a buddy of mine is doing a pair up for his 3000GT, and ater he finishes and i see the results we'll probably test a pair out for the 3rd gen...

The ideas he has are to make it with probably 30 different blinking patterns, so you can pick what style you want for your car...

Brian
Old 03-21-2004, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1989MaxMan
I am not sure if anyone else has done it, there are some little LED bulb replacements that fit right in.

But....here at my school a buddy of mine is doing a pair up for his 3000GT, and ater he finishes and i see the results we'll probably test a pair out for the 3rd gen...

The ideas he has are to make it with probably 30 different blinking patterns, so you can pick what style you want for your car...

Brian
Well, I dont like the look of those bulbs made of led's, they give too much of an altezza look. Anyway that wouldnt be a simple plug in on the max since the bulbs on the max point to the side and not straight back. Might be easy to make it work though.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've played around with making them before, had a couple rows made for a housing, but just said screw it, I didn't really like how it was turning out and just put it back to stock. It really isnt that hard to do. Using plexiglass helps out alot to hold the LED's still. IMHO its a fun project, but I just prefered the stock look.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
I've played around with making them before, had a couple rows made for a housing, but just said screw it, I didn't really like how it was turning out and just put it back to stock. It really isnt that hard to do. Using plexiglass helps out alot to hold the LED's still. IMHO its a fun project, but I just prefered the stock look.
What didnt you like about it? and what diffusion angle did the led's have?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I forget the specs on the LED's, they were just ebay cheapies. I just liked the stock look more, I dont really know why, I suppose its the same reason why I want eibach handling on stock height springs, lol.

I love LED's because of the ammount of power they use, their life span, brightness and size. Then again right now I'm getting mad at them because I'm hand sanding 7 5mm leds down so they will fit into the stock rectangle slots for the Manual Climate Control, lol.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:06 PM

I love the bulbs with LED's in them..super bright,and direct fit.(www.superbrightleds.com) When i wired all the LED's in each one of my air vents it was such a pain in the ***...i think i am done playin with them for a while. As for a thrid generation LED tail project, i might be interested in eventually trying something out, but doing it the right way not some ghetto mod. I like the way Araffio's came out on his 4th Generation. The only problem is how time consuming the project is!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xMaxed90x
I love the bulbs with LED's in them..super bright,and direct fit.(www.superbrightleds.com) When i wired all the LED's in each one of my air vents it was such a pain in the ***...i think i am done playin with them for a while. As for a thrid generation LED tail project, i might be interested in eventually trying something out, but doing it the right way not some ghetto mod. I like the way Araffio's came out on his 4th Generation. The only problem is how time consuming the project is!
Yeah the project is time consuming, but at our school the electrical engineering majors have to do a senior research project, and my buddy with the 3000GT will probably do this as his project, so he has a whole year and a half to do it...and get it right...no budget either...

Brian
Old 03-22-2004, 04:44 PM

http://www.cardomain.com/id/blkmax98se

that guy has it done to his car...but its a 4th gen