3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Nice half dollar sized rust spot on my driver side rear door

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 05:54 PM

Nice half dollar sized rust spot on my driver side rear door

How do I fix this ,can i make it look smooth again?, and do i have to repaint my whole frigin car?, please help its kinda embarrasing
Old 01-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

depending on the rust, you could just sand it down, possiably use body filler/fiber glass to fill and then paint it. You might be able to get away with spray paint.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:01 PM
mod or sell?

Sand, POR-15 , Sand, Paint, sand , buff
Old 01-22-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by drakken789
How do I fix this ,can i make it look smooth again?, and do i have to repaint my whole frigin car?, please help its kinda embarrasing
It really depends on how bad it is. Is it rusted through? Is it surface rust only? If you're really serious about fixing it, make SURE that surface rust truly is only surface rust by poking a screwdriver into the middle. Of course if it's not really surface you'll end up with a hole.

Rust is like an iceberg. You only see about 10% of it. The rest is hidden.

If it's rust through the best advice is to just leave it alone until you're ready to sell it. If it's surface rust then sand, prime, paint, clearcoat.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:12 PM
94c Big Max

Try Rust Bullet paint. It worked for me, all it takes is 2 coats and voila done, no need to sand anything down, not unless you wanted that smooth looks. Another cool thing about it is that it doesn't matter how deep or big the rust spots were, it'll penetrate every single one of them. Anyone here has seen my car knew how badly my car got chewed away by those damn rusts. I've used it one some of the large side spots and man it really did worked, no most rusts since then (4months).

Once you're done with it, you might wanna put a top coat over if you don't want the silver color. I still haven't put a top over mines, yet.

www.rustbullet.com
Old 01-22-2004, 06:24 PM

Hey thanks guys, its only on the surface, and what paint should i use?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:32 PM
94c Big Max

Hey thanks guys, its only on the surface, and what paint should i use?
www.rustbullet.com

Sounds like you got a little spot but from experiences, it's really tough to fight rusts. What's really sad is that none of those damn paints from the store works. Those damn rusts will rust right thru them and it'll only make the matter worst. I've even used JB Weld over them and the rust still rust thru. It's a freaking nightmare.

Give Rust Bullet a try, I've used it and worked pretty darn good for me. Sounds like you got a small spot, so I wouldn't go ahead and blow $30 on a quart of Rust Bullet, just get the smallest jar they had for sell. That paint is one hell of a powerful rust penetrant. It'll seals up every single one of them *****es!!!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nail polish inhibits rust.

sounds to me like you got to replace the whole door skin, though.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:58 PM
94c Big Max

Here is a sample snap shot on one of the sides, both side adjacent to each other has the same problems but cured for now:

I didn't have a digital camera before I worked on this part so I don't have a picture to show you how badly the rusts were. As you could see that my fender got so rusted, car cancer ate so much of that piece that I had to cutted out a strip of 1"x 14" and sanded it down with a rotrary tool. I know it looks pretty ghetto driving around like this but I rather do something to fix those damn rusty cancers than have it chew away my car body. I'll put a top coat over it at a later time cuz I was really curious to see if Rust Bullet really works. So far, it's been about 4 months now and I still haven't seen any rusts penetrated thru it. So, it's must be working as advertised. Good stuffs, man!!!!

Don't worry about the area I took off, I got a nice chrome trims set to put it over but I'll do it later since it requires drilling.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:09 PM

I got a cancer spot that I'm working on now. shoult was right about the analogy he used... My rust spot is intense!

haha
Old 01-23-2004, 08:06 AM

Let's have a rust competition to see who has the most.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500906/2
Old 01-23-2004, 12:51 PM

I'm trying to find how to fix the rust spot... And as I was looking at it, and clean some of it out, turns out theres just a hole that rusted through. How do I go on fixing this?...

I don't know how to put pictures on, so I cant, but you can IM me, and I will definately show you my cancer spot on my car.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:17 PM
mod or sell?

POR-15 then fiberglass
Old 01-23-2004, 03:55 PM

after I use rust bullet(which seems to work the best so far) should i get touch up paint from the dealer or where? I have peal white paint ion my car now, I know it wont look the same but it will look atleast better
Old 01-23-2004, 06:08 PM
94c Big Max

after I use rust bullet(which seems to work the best so far) should i get touch up paint from the dealer or where? I have peal white paint ion my car now, I know it wont look the same but it will look atleast better
Yup, dealers should have it avaliable but I would check your local autostores first to see if they had your color in stock cuz dealers can be a rip off sometimes.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:13 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
I'm trying to find how to fix the rust spot... And as I was looking at it, and clean some of it out, turns out theres just a hole that rusted through. How do I go on fixing this?...

I don't know how to put pictures on, so I cant, but you can IM me, and I will definately show you my cancer spot on my car.

at the paint section at your local autostores, you should be able to pick up some fiberglass and resin filling to fix up that spot. But if I were you, I would sand it down a little. Put some 2 layers of Rust Bullet over, then use the fiberglass and resin filling. Once it dried, just sand it down and paint your top coat over. It's too cold to do anything out there right right now, save this project for later.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 AM

its never too cold in florida but really isnt fiberglass really difficul to work with?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:55 AM

its never too cold in florida but really isnt fiberglass really difficul to work with?
]

Real fiberglass is a little bit complicated to work with. People here are refering to the fiberglass filler. Its pretty much like a really strong bondo. Its a bit harder to sand than regular bodyfiller but it's stronger and it wont absorb water.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:59 PM

hey that sounds good thanks, can I pretty much get that anywhere and will it stop the rust
Old 01-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've got rust too. It got too cold to fix it so I had to "seal it up" and just hold out for spring. Fortunately you can't see it until you open the door....

Use a rust converter or remover (they seem almost the same to me, but you don't have to rinse converter off) and then when that's dry use the body filler or fiberglass matting with filler over top of that. I don't believe how long it took me to find this out, but there is VERY little talk out there about using both rust converters AND body filler. All the stuff I had read previously said to grind the rust down to bare metal and then start filling. I wanted to check first to see if it was okay to simply chemically treat the rust first and then fill over it, but it does seem to be acceptable practice.

Any auto store like Autozone, Pepboys, etc. should have all you need to do the main repair. The filler and patch can usually be found sold as a kit together. Just don't accidentally buy an oily "rust inhibitor" which is sold in the same area.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have heard a lot of good things about this rust bullet stuff.

But does anyone know if they sell smaller quantities. I need some but not a pint. I only need like a white-out sized bottle for one spot on the roof from a bike rack. Has anyone here purchased it and now dont need it anymore because I would gladyly take it off your hands. Email me at philly103181@aol.com if you guys can help me out. thanks.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:05 PM

Unfortunately it's only a temporary solution. I fit was made in japan then it's crappy steel.