3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

test drive of G35 coupe v. modded 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

test drive of G35 coupe v. modded 3rd gen

well. i drove the V35 Skyline 350GT a.k.a. G35 coupe with 6-speed factory short-throw gearbox.

having the VG version of the 1990 SE Maxima, which is modded with true CAI, ground wires, hi-flow exhaust front to back, and beefed-up/lowered suspension including R32 factory rims, i was anxious to see how those improvements measured up to hot-off-the assembly line innovations.

in ways, one can say "well, this comparison is ludicrous because it is ridiculously unfair, perhaps stupid." and, yes, that is somewhat true.

but who cares.

--handling of modded 3rd gen 5spd SE: awesome. tight.
--handling of stock G35 coupe: pretty good. tight but softer. needs modding IMO.

--acceleration of modded 3rd gen 5spd SE: pretty good LOW-end torque. not a rocket, but has notable punch.
--acceleration of stock G35 coupe: not bad. more torque than modded VG, of course, but not really much to write home about. is comparable, IMO, to 90SE (with mods).

-quality of build 3rd gen: great.
-quality of build of G35: great.

-styling of both: different but awesome.

i was not able to get out of 3rd gear in the G35 on the test drive, so i did not experience the REAL fury of the VQ35. maybe later. the speedo goes to 160mph on the G35. only 125 on the 3rd gen. so this is where the comparison parts serious ways.

i hope this was at least mildly entertaining.

Old 10-25-2003, 05:07 PM

So you are saying that you think your car could keep up with the G35? Bahahahaha
Old 10-25-2003, 05:15 PM

With a 427 cobra engine/tranny swap, yes
Old 10-25-2003, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by KLoWnPR109
So you are saying that you think your car could keep up with the G35? Bahahahaha
I think he was saying that through at least part of 3rd gear the max and g35 were SOMEWHAT comparable performance wise. (handling, throw you into your seat factor, ect.) He made it clear that comparisons end as soon as the speeds go up. It was mildly entertaining
Old 10-25-2003, 05:57 PM
daroknessmonsto

Lets not be rediculous. The g35 coupe kicks the **** out of the third gen (even modded) in more than 1 way.

Old 10-25-2003, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by daroknessmonsto
Lets not be rediculous. The g35 coupe kicks the **** out of the third gen (even modded) in more than 1 way.
And the G35 can get heads to turn... something the 3rd gen (unless totally modded) can't really do .
Old 10-25-2003, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by KLoWnPR109
No. I am saying I know my car can keep up with a G35.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:04 PM

vwink182 gets the point totally.

read the thesis statement again at the head of the thread.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
vwink182 gets the point totally.

read the thesis statement again at the head of the thread.
Hey how's the clutch? I take it that it's all broken in by now. I haven't had any problems with my rebuild. It's running like a VE powered top.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:34 PM

oh yes>>>vwink182. hello, there, guy. we were talking clutch and tranny a while back on cardomain. how are you? how's cedar falls?

yes. the setup has hit the sweet spot. normal. grabs a bit better than factory. the fidanza is great. makes a big difference. and i recently had Matt install his groundwire kit. adds like 2hp in the midrange. i noticed it immediately. not huge, but very 'there.'
Old 10-25-2003, 11:01 PM

Good to hear the clutch is working for you. That ground kit is sounding more like a good idea...but i need a y-pipe first.

I'm doing fine, classes aren't actually too bad this time around. Cedar Falls is almost cold and still very pretty.

Made my first ever run at the local track today...15.4. I was happy

Oh and what the heck are you doing comparing your max witha G35? you crazy bastard!
Old 10-25-2003, 11:25 PM

wink,

good going on the track time. i have yet to do that.

i was curious to drive the G35. always have been. and since i have modded my max, i could not resist the comparison of the driving experiences between the two cars. i figured it would make a sort of interesting thread because it is a rather bold thing to do, to make any claims of similarity between the two. i'm telling you, off-the-line the cars are vaguely similar for a short while, provided you have modified your max. but the G35 will kill the max soon after you slam it into 3rd and ignite the b*tch --i could feel the lurking torque that was not let to see the light of day.

the salesguy only let me on surface-streets with her, so i was not able to really feel the full stretch of 3rd gear. the short-throw shifter was difficult to suddenly deal with. but given a little time, i could get to really like that thang.

it is hot here in lala land. and there's scary wildfires with ash in the air. you can smell it from everywhere you go in town. it is like this omnipresent campfire smell. almost smells good. like the woods.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

wink,

but the G35 will kill the max soon after you slam it into 3rd and ignite the b*tch
COMPARABLE to 3rd gear??? are you smoking crack?? maybe if a blind grandma is driving, but G35 will leave the VG off the line in first gear no questions asked....3rd gear..don't think so, its over WAY before that. you need to drive one for real!!! (ie- hard off the line and not with the salesguy in the car).
Old 10-25-2003, 11:53 PM

im going to estimate that with your current mods you could run maybe a 15.7 and i believe the g35 6spd will run 14.4 stock so you do the math
Old 10-26-2003, 12:27 AM

no no no people. i don't claim what you are saying: the G35 will kill the VG. that is plain and simple. it will kill the max overall. period.

it will especially destroy the lowly VG in 3rd. off-the-line, my point, is that there was not much difference in feeling when you punch the two cars from 1st to 2nd into 3rd: i wasn't impressed very much. i expected the V35 skyline to f*ckihg leap forward with tremendous force. and it did not. yes, it was more than the VG, but not really much to write home to mom about. it didn't put wood in my pants.

had i been on the freeway and allowed to go through all gears, well, hel* yes the story would change dramatically. i've driven a 5th gen SE on the highway and she was fast as all holy screaming sh*t.

and DA-MAX, i did drive it for "real." i punched the b*tch on the streets. the salesguy was afraid of getting a ticket. i drive like a bat out of h*ll just in general anyway. that is a rule whenever possible. and i'm certainly not going to go to the dealer and gently drive the Skyline down the block. i was encouraged to punch it. otherwise there was no point in driving the f*cking car. as that was the "main course" of the sales pitch.

i was even less impressed by the stock suspension of the G35. but a little modding can solve that real quick. so it's all good.

while i'm at it, while we are all here, the experience did make me want the G35 (the speedo goes to 160mph and it looks just delicious) -but not enough to really have me signing on the dotted line. i'd rather, honestly, buy a 14 year-old R32 GTR for the same 32 thousand dollar price.

btw, the sound the G35 makes is just awesome. sounds like money.

and it no longer comes in carribean blue, that awesome pearlescent blue it had it's debut in. it wasn't selling to the older money crowd enough in that color.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:12 AM

If a salesman doesnt like how your driving, tell them to get-ouuttttt.

Seriously though, when we were test driving cars (my dad and I) we didnt even have a salesmen in the car, and even if we did, it wouldnt have stopped me from burnout of first and second gear getting on the highway. If they have a problem with it, they can get-ouuttttt!!!
Old 10-26-2003, 01:21 AM

If he was saying anything about your driving, he obviously wasn't a good salesman. A car salesman wants you to feel the car the way you would drive it on a normal day. Anything to sell that damn car. Why compare the two though? Just have both
Old 10-26-2003, 01:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

G35's are also RWD.

That means something, doesn't it?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:20 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

you're smoking crack when you say there's no difference when you punch it from 1st through 3rd. i have a full bolt on VG and and a VQ35 sitting in the driveway in the Z. there IS NO comparison. did you take the G35 coupe up to 2k RPM or something?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:49 AM

well. i drove the V35 Skyline 350GT a.k.a. G35 coupe with 6-speed factory short-throw gearbox.
Man, what were you on that day? Lithium? Zanax? Prozac?

You didn't notice the difference in acelleration between a 14 year old 3200 lbs FWD car with 160 hp (with MAYBE 20 extra ponies from the mods) and a new 260hp 3300 lbs RWD car? Did you leave your butt dyno behind?

I had NO problem feeling an immediate difference between the G35 6 spd and my 92 SE 5 spd with bolt ons (with same 20+ ponies as you) . ALL the new 4 sports sedans that have come out in the last year BLOW the the Gen3 out of the water almost from the moment the candles are lit. The G35 is one of the most impressive of the lot when rear seat room is a priority. When all out handling is emphisized the the RX-8 starts pulling ahead. The problem with the RX-8 though is it's complete lack of torque. Reminds me of the Honda S-2000 in that you have to rev the **** out of it before you get any torque.

I do know that while the G35 feels much softer then a modified Gen3 (mine is lowered with new struts and strut bars) it actually handles much better in steady state corners and as good or slightly better in transitional corners. The fact that the G35 really pushes the luxo feel up a few notches, with the additional required safety and emissions changes compared to the Gen3, and only have a weight difference of 100 lbs is a huge engineering feat.

Am I going to rush right out and plunk down 32K to own one? Nah.... I like not having car payments too much. I like tinkering and not having to worry about voiding warranties too much.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Way out West

I agree with Jack. I test drove a used 300ZX TT in Vancouver (Wash) about six years ago. I made the salesman's almost crap his pants. I could see him grabbing the side of the seat so hard his knuckles were white. He never said a word until we got back. Then he said, "You and this car were meant for each other." He was really trying hard to make a sale.

I would have bought it, but my insurance company wanted to charge me like quadruple what I was paying on my Tacoma 4x4.

Anyway, the G35 is like comparing apples and oranges. It was designed to be a sports car. Our cars are compromised because they are designed to combine sportiness, interior space and creature comforts.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by shoult
. . . . Am I going to rush right out and plunk down 32K to own one? Nah.... I like not having car payments too much. I like tinkering and not having to worry about voiding warranties too much.
N$o Ca$r Pay$men$t! That is what I am talking about$$
Old 10-26-2003, 08:14 AM

bonzelite -- I understand excatly what you are trying to say and imply.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:27 AM

What I think he is talking about relates to acceleration g's. The G35 sedan (I don't have numbers for the coupe) hits about .5 g's on acceleration according to Automobile magazine. I'm not sure what the Maxima does but from what I can tell they are pretty close by what bonzelite says. He's saying he doesn't feel the G35 leap forward like you think it would... kind of like a turbo spooling, how the car all of the sudden jumps forward and puts a bunch of g's on you.

I would love to get a G35 Sedan personally. Those things are awesome. They handle well, are rwd, has a 6-speed, lots of power, and according to Automobile magazine does the quarter in 14.3 seconds. It can hang with a new Evo 8 on many of a the tests.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:45 AM

listen to DARHAW and mtcookson and vwink182. they totally "get it." some posts are neutral.

the sales guy "encouraged me" to punch it. did you miss that line? and all the rest? the cars are not the same, folks. they are "comparable" to a point upon initial acceleration, provided that you have modded your max pretty far. did you miss that, too? i never ever said that there is no differnce. what differce there IS does not give me a h*rd-on. off the stoplight, i already experience a very similar feeling to the G35 without having to make a $500 a month payment for 5 years. take the G35 hard all they way past 3rd and beyond --that undoubtedly changes; you get your money's worth. but this thread is not about that.

read mtcookson's post again if you want the same information put to you in another way. the feelings are similar between the two cars eventhough the VQ35 has more torque at any moment. i have been saying the same thing since the very first post of this thread.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:08 PM

I feel you bonzelite, my friend bmw 330 w/sport doesn't pull that impressive either.like a normal car such as a v6 accord or mx-6 or something with out the 38000 price tag. they share similar chararistics,but a rx-7 and a max are totally differnt.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:33 PM

rymo926,

right. you get it.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
No. I am saying I know my car can keep up with a G35.

Your joking right.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:49 PM

The G35 has noticably more punch then any 3rd gen. max.

After my father got his G35 Sedan 6MT, he gave me his old 1989 max, and I have to tell you there is no point in trying to compare the max and G35 at all.

Handling, style, power... whatever it doesn't matter the G35 is better in all aspects.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:59 PM

king king,

can you say "turbo max?"
Old 10-26-2003, 02:02 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Haha I dont know why there's any discussion at all regarding the VG vs. the G35...

A fully modded VE 5spd vs. a stock G35 MIGHT warrant a discussion, but the VG though....gosh why is that even mentioned in the same thought with the G35.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Haha I dont know why there's any discussion at all regarding the VG vs. the G35...

A fully modded VE 5spd vs. a stock G35 MIGHT warrant a discussion, but the VG though....gosh why is that even mentioned in the same thought with the G35.

Yes you are right.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:08 PM

king king,

can you say "turbo max?"
If you mod your max enough to compare it to a G35, then it shouldn't even be considered a max.

You'll probly end up spending more money then you would on just a new G35.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:19 PM

that's not true. just make a turbo setup or drop a turbo engine in a do minimal mods and you could be faster than a G35. the maxima may never handle as well but you can get it close.

so far, i've only spent 1500 or so on my engine swap and its getting very close to being finished.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:30 PM

I just don't beleive you can come close to a G35 with a 3rd gen max. Maybe a G35 with the 5spd AT, but def. not the 6MT, even after swapping engines.

When it's all said and done the G35 will come out on top.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:37 PM

James92 and King King,

read post #1 of this thread and go through the whole thing.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:43 PM

All I'm trying to say is that I think the G35 deserves more credit then you give it. But it is your review so it's your opinion, and i respect that.

After all the look what you have to do to a max to compare it to a stock G35.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:45 PM

James92 and King King,

read post #1 of this thread and go through the whole thing.
bonz you know how to breed argument, dont you Do you have a turbo on your VG?
Old 10-26-2003, 02:49 PM

Yes he does but it is fun.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:02 PM

When I rode in my friend's 350z a couple months ago, and he punched it, I believe my exact words were Holy shi!t as I got thrown back into my seat. The only other Nissan that has thrown me back like that with me uttering those words, is James VE five speed.

You punch a G35 or 350z and its like, let's get going. VG five speed it's more of, well I see your point, but I think we should discuss this further before we get going anywhere.

Bottom line, you is crazy

Quick Reply: test drive of G35 coupe v. modded 3rd gen