3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

fidanza flywheel/valeo clutch update

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 12:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

fidanza flywheel/valeo clutch update

it has been about 4 months since i swapped my OEM flywheel and clutch for the aluminum fidanza and stage 1 valeo clutch. the "break in" period has seasoned quite well, whereas initially, new to the mod, i was not aware that the parts had to settle.

the moment i drove the car with the mods, i disliked it, as it appeared to have a loss of power or a slippage. later, on this org, i was overwhelmed with feedback about how the parts must have time to marry themselves together. and the slippage aspect was normal for these new parts.

now the car is tight. it launches a bit more aggressively, not overly so, but nicely. and the flywheel is just awesome. with spirited driving, i can launch and go to redline *easily*, shift, go to redline nearly immediately again and surge ahead with the VG (also modded), and then punch the bye-bye gear of 3rd and just rock. the **** really moves. she's fast.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 AM

mmm... makes me want to get a lightened flywheel and a spec sprung 6 puck for my vg-t.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:29 AM

cool! I always enjoy reading other people's before and after experiences with the Fidanza because I didnt get a before experience with mine.

I used the Exedy Stage 1/Fidanza combo on my VE, and it seems like first starting out from a stop in first gear is alittle tougher, in a mellow/daily driving sense, but slightly agressive launches are very very smooth (just steady on the gas and clutch, kind of hard to explain). I havent tried any agressive launches yet because I'd like to replace one of my tranny mounts first, and finish my break in period.

One thing that I found wierd with my setup, my clutch hasn't slipped at all during the break in, not one bit. If you can, try to figure out if your getting better mileage with the Fidanza.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
cool! I always enjoy reading other people's before and after experiences with the Fidanza because I didnt get a before experience with mine.

I used the Exedy Stage 1/Fidanza combo on my VE, and it seems like first starting out from a stop in first gear is alittle tougher, in a mellow/daily driving sense, but slightly agressive launches are very very smooth (just steady on the gas and clutch, kind of hard to explain). I havent tried any agressive launches yet because I'd like to replace one of my tranny mounts first, and finish my break in period.

One thing that I found wierd with my setup, my clutch hasn't slipped at all during the break in, not one bit. If you can, try to figure out if your getting better mileage with the Fidanza.
Whenever my clutch gets fried, that's the setup I'm going with. I hope Matt still has some laying around by time I'm ready to rebuild my tranny.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:31 AM

mrgone, i do get better mileage, btw (if i do the harder launches, i do not, course).

i was going to go Exedy stg 1, but i needed the clutch immediately and the speed shop was out. they suggested Valeo. and i had never heard of them, but they are one of the top 3 clutch mfgs in the world. (Exedy is one of the top 3 as well -i forgot the other one). Valeo is out of south africa and they are widely popular in europe. and it works great; is not spongy or strange. feels like factory but has more ummpphhh on the grab. i have to pay closer attention to the sweet spots when i go through the gears upon acceleration to optimize engagement, but it is not a problem.

mtcookson, you are keen to have that turbo vg. i am concerned about the 6-puck setup, though. for the street that can be a bit on the rough side. it may be too much of a good thing in that case. but if you do it, tell us what it is really like.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:35 AM

mrgone, i have a similar "starting from 1st in mellow driving condition" -a bit more difficult. but i can live with that. i am learning to sort of compensate: it takes some retraining of the leg and hip to feel the new parameters.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:37 AM

it has a sprung hub so it won't have as harsh engagement as a solid hub.

here's a picture of a 4 puck

i can't decided if i want a 4 or 6 yet. i would think a 6 puck would last longer but i'll have to find that out.

well that's weird... they don't have a sprung 6 puck anymore. guess i'm going with a 4.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:50 AM

i will remember that. sprung hub. i was heretofore unaware of such an animal. i learned something today. thank you, mtcookson.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:01 PM

no problem. they also make lightweight clutch assemblies for 70 dollar more. so say with the 4 puck setup it would be 405 dollars for the lightweight setup. they are 335 dollars without the lightweight stuff.