3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My lights got me busted!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My lights got me busted!!!!

Hey guys, you won't believe what happened to me yesterday. I was just a real bad luck day for me. I started the day with getting a flat, took me more than half an hour changing it due to that stupid jack that comes with the car. You would think that was enough for one day? Yeah right!!! I went to the movies to go see S.W.A.T (it was ok) with my girlfriend. On our way back home she tells me she has the munchies. So I made a turn down a side street. This is where it gets good. Drove to the end of the block stopped at a stoplight and noticed 2 NYPD police officers at the corner where I was making a left. Now my corner lights have blue bulbs in them. As soon as the stupid light was about to change one of the cops came up to my car and said to pull it over to the side. THE COPS GAVE ME A TICKET FOR HAVING BLUE LIGHTS ON MY CAR!!!! because "only emergency vehicles are supposed to have them", that was some bull----. What a way to end my night after seeing S.W.A.T. Have any every got pulled over for their lights? I thought it was soo uncalled for to get me on my lights. One more thing, the cop said that my tint was illegal too,but he's not going to give me a ticket for that. I guess He was being nice. My tints are so light that you can see my face when I'm in the car. JUST BAD LUCK!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 08:59 AM

you're just toying with luck if you have those lights on your car. you would have been caught sooner or later.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Lil 8

well yea i have been pulled for the blue turn signal lights!!! U have to have either yellow or maybe white no other color!!! As far as the tint goes is your tint percentage less than 30% on the fronts or the front window tint bar very low? if you say yes to either then yes it is illegal!! you can only have 30% on the fronts and you can have what ever you want on the rears. The front window tint bar can only be so low also despite the tint percentage!! Good luck with the New York ****** & ****s!! You know it is ticket time where ever you go!!! Thank Bloomburg!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 11:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah, read the law, blue lights are illegal, what's the problem?? Just say no to Rice
Old 08-13-2003, 12:23 PM

yea, i dont see what the fuss is about. there is no need for blue lights on your car. you are simply asking for it.

now, if he pulled you over on account of your tints.. then you would have something to complain about.

walka
Old 08-13-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Walka
yea, i dont see what the fuss is about. there is no need for blue lights on your car. you are simply asking for it.

now, if he pulled you over on account of your tints.. then you would have something to complain about.

walka
i also have blue blubs in my corner lights, i was trying to look a bulb that produces a really bright white light to match my sliverstars my headlights but they didnt have any clear bulbs at my local auto parts store....do you think i should change them to the stock bulbs or keep them on? i still have the stock corners still..if that is any help..and i live in VA
Old 08-13-2003, 10:47 PM

you might want to re-read this post again and that would answer your question...then again, keep em in...YOU'LL SEE!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 12:52 AM

Well, so much for that addition. I had read that blue lights were illegal, but I did not think that it would apply to something as benign as a turn signal. Oh well.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by DARHAW-MAX
Well, so much for that addition. I had read that blue lights were illegal, but I did not think that it would apply to something as benign as a turn signal. Oh well.
The official Federal law is that you can not change the coloring of ANY exterior lights from stock... That makes the clear tails and side-markers illegal, even with amber/red bulbs... But if you have clear with amber lights, then most cops don't really hassle you unless they're bored...
However, blue or red lights in your turn signals are illegal, and he's right, they're reserved for emergency vehicles only... If they blink... If they're a solid color (Like the ricey windshield washer LEDs that AREN'T hooked up to your turn signals) they're fine as long as it's not in a stock light.
I believe you can look up all that information on the Department of Motor Vehicles web site (I believe is www.dmv.gov)
Old 08-14-2003, 12:06 PM

Can you be pulled over for having white lights in your corners?

Also can you be pulled over for rewired corners so they are always on bright?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:12 PM

You can get pulled over for anything that strikes the officer as wrong. It's a simple fact. If you look like you might be illegal you stand the chance of being pulled over. Tint, Lights, muffler, loose license plate, cracks in glass, mirrors broken, not using signals properly, anything.

If you attract the cops attention you stand a good chance of getting pulled over. If he pulls you over wrongly there is nothing you can do. You just have to sit there and take it. You can rattle your sabre all you want, but in the end, you've been pulled over, your time has been wasted and you may or may not get a ticket.

Best bet is just to just smile politely, say yes sir, yes sir and then move on.

If your tint is dark enough to get you pulled over even though it's legal you have a choice to make. Do you keep it even though you get pulled over for it? Or do you scrape it off and start over? Are those blue bulbs really worth the hassle?

It's all choices..... Personally, I prefer NOT to get pulled over.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Who?

Originally posted by DARHAW-MAX
It ESPECIALLY applies to turn signal lights b/c they are flashing -- something that only emergency vehicles are allowed to do (same applies to red flashing lights: cars can't have them)

ricers the whole lot of ya!
Old 08-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Way out West

taegost and shoult are right. The more you go away from stock, the more likely you are to have a reason to get pulled over. Most ricers are irritating as hell, and that goes for annoying cops, too.

As for tinted windows, each state has it's own laws about that. Here in Oregon it's 35 percent (which isn't really that dark). A cop can try to give you a ticket for darker tint, but they need to have a special kind of light meter that checks it to make the ticket stick in court. Otherwise, they are just hoping you send your money with no questions.

When cops are bored, they can get you for the simplest things: no licence plate light (even if one of two are burned out -- I've been hit with that one), putting a cover of any kind over your plate (even clear is illegal), crack in your windshield, tires that stick out past your fenders (especially on 4x4s -- I've gotten pulled over for that one, too). If you drive with your fog lights on, that can be considered a high beam and that's a ticket...they have a million and one ticky tack things.

I would stay away from any kind of blue or red lights that aren't tail or brake lights. Tint isn't that big a deal unless it's darker than is legal.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:51 AM
STFU n00b!

They're illegal period. that's all you have to know, that's all you should worry about. You don't gripe about them pulling you over for speeding, do you?