3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Project Maxima: Skyline Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:44 PM

Altezza is a car, not AWD or a pair of friggin' lights!
The Japanese laugh at your wannabe JDM talk! Like selling
glasses to a blind man.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 PM

You will never finish it. No r32 r33 r34 skyline tranny will bolt up. The bolt patterns are different. I know I've see it (my rb25 bolt pattern matches the AWD tranny).
Even if you do get it to bolt on some how, how will it fit? You're going tear up the firewall and cut up the center console area. The base of the shifter won't sit low like the maxima, it will sit VERY high. Okay fine you get all that done.
So where is your drive shaft going to go? Through the Fuel tank? great. What are you going to do with the fuel tank? The hell with that where are you gonna put the Pumkin? that thing is big and HEAVY. IT won't fit unless you remove the spare tire well.
Okay so you do that,you get a 5 gallon fuel cell, custom axles,custom strut and a custom knuckle,etc etc
What are you going to do with the front end? the skyline front diff is in the RB oil pan. You can't use an RB oil pan. You're stuck with 2WD.

Short version: quit while you're ahead.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by gtr_wannabe
Altezza is a car, not AWD or a pair of friggin' lights!
The Japanese laugh at your wannabe JDM talk! Like selling
glasses to a blind man.
No one mentioned Altezza, they mentioned ATTESSA AWD. You live in Japan and Don't know what ATTESSA ETS AWD is??

You must drive an A$$ dragger. (front wheel drive car if you don't understand)
Old 08-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

people! we aren't talking about the skyline tranny any more! the tranny that is the most promising is the Nissan AXXESS van (which is what we've been talking about). it can with the KA24E and you could get an auto or manual transmission in either fwd or awd setups. the ka24 has the same bolt pattern as out engines from what i've seen so far.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by jim90gxe

No one mentioned Altezza, they mentioned ATTESSA AWD. You live in Japan and Don't know what ATTESSA ETS AWD is??

You must drive an A$$ dragger. (front wheel drive car if you don't understand)

Don't hate me because A skyline costs me 5,000 and you 55,000!
I have a fwd auto of course(92 se). thats why we are on maxima.org if you forgot. but if the profile allowed me,(not bragging),I would mention have a 97 R33 skyline gts-t also!Have you heard of these? RB, Sr, KA,?Probably not. you probably paid $275 to buy a y-pipe for your $50 car. while you talk about things that you would only do to a kit car, I am driving 80kmph sidewayz!You get **** I pull from junkyards. Thats JDM!Altessa, almsessa! you want pictures, e-mail me!
Old 08-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by gtr_wannabe Have you heard of these? RB, Sr, KA,?Probably not.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA...I love how noobs have no idea who they are talking to...yeah Jim has no idea about any of those motors. I mean he just has an RB25DET in his S13 240, but I guess that doesn't make a difference **** out of here you noob!
Old 08-09-2003, 08:34 AM

which is it? an s13,240,or skyline? you can't call a us spec 240 an s13 without a sr20det or were you trying to add in more words to sound like an expert? I may be a noobie, but i know what iam talking about.look what time it is in America right now and you will see that you have no life but to talk about people that play with cars that you try to grab some association with. jdm is not usdm. this is for the limited few that don't know the truth and the ones that send email when it is 7:00 am in their time zone. like you .no life.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by gtr_wannabe
which is it? an s13,240,or skyline? you can't call a us spec 240 an s13 without a sr20det or were you trying to add in more words to sound like an expert? I may be a noobie, but i know what iam talking about.
Yes you are obviously a NOOBIE. A USDM 240 has a S13 or a S14 CHASSIS CODE. IT's a CODE, not a model. Euro and Aussie 200SX, JDM silvia and USDM 240 share the same S13 or S14 chassis Code.

RB25DET s14 240sx (I have a s14 )
Engine-Chassis-model

Sorry for going OT in this OT thread
Old 08-09-2003, 01:06 PM

an AWD or RWD maxima would be a novelty to have in the Petersen Museum. to maintain and drive it daily? to actually do it? what is the payoff really? you would be better of taking the money and making a downpayment on a house. that way, you could have a garage to keep your real car in.

i know i replied again to this thread but i could not resist it. these 'make-a-hybrid' threads are always mildy entertaining to watch. some of the **** that begins to arise can be somewhat funny. like the S13 comments(?). i have an S14, the USDM 240 version, and anyone mildy aware of that lingo knows what it is. and all of the "yeah, just watch me do it, i'll show you..." kind of talk is typical.

i can tell you that if you did do it, and did it well, it would be in all of the magazines and import shows. you'd get laid.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:26 PM

in my opinion, this isn't really that hard of a project if you have the time and patience to do it. most of the work will be fabricating the rear end. that will take the longest amount of time. the front end stuff is no problem if the tranny fits how i think it will. worst case scenario, you will have to fabricate tranny mounts if they are different. by the sounds of it, the guy that is going to help him could do that with no problem.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by bonzelite
these 'make-a-hybrid' threads are always mildy entertaining to watch....and all of the "yeah, just watch me do it, i'll show you..." kind of talk is typical.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

What I would like to know is

Where in Florida are you planning this (or any other) project. Because if you're anywhere in South Florida you got an extra pair of hands waiting at your disposal
Old 08-14-2003, 10:10 AM

mtcookson - I'm taking this discussion off the forums, since most of the replies I have received are small-minded and not even answering my questions in the least.
I sent you an e-mail and I'm not sure if it went through or not, let me know.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:14 AM

Sup I read all the pages to this thread and I want to say that I ****ing hate the ppl that come in and say all this **** about our maximas only being worth 3k and why would you want to waste money on it. What i dont understand is why the **** are you a member on this fourm. If all you just want to do is put rims on and get your windows tinted then all of a sudden you think your a master tech get the hell off the forum. I give mad respect to Taegost for wanting to do such a project of this caliber. The way I look at it if you have more than one car (one is a daily and one is a project) and enough money then go and turn your project car into the car of your dreams. As for me I call my maxima a rolling project but when I get my Enzo then my maxima turns into my project car.

But Taegost im not to sure but you are keeping the stock engine and want to put in a manual tranny but you will diff need a new flywheel reason being this is a problem that me and my friend encountered in his project (taking a wrecked 89 gta trans am 350 tpi setup with a auto tranny and putting the engine in a 86 trans am with a manual tranny also we converted it to a carb setup witch gave us 30 extra hp) but then this might not even be a problem in your case also you have to make sure that the new flywheel is balanced
Old 08-15-2003, 06:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't know if this helps or not, but if we are talking auto trans, the 3rd gen SOHC motor uses the exact same trans as the 90-92 Stanza, which is the FWD KA24E. I know, cause I have both cars. So, the question about whether or not the 4 cyl tranny can handle the power of the VG is really a non-issue, because they do it every day. But- maybe that's one of the reasons the trannys go out so much on the VG. The Axxess van of the same years also uses the KA24E, but I do not know if the tranny is exact. If we are talking standaed trans, then I don't know- logic would have it that if the auto trans is the same, then the stick ought to be too.

In terms of Taegost's project, IMO, it's his money and time, so he can pretty much do what he wants. I'm glad to have the help this board provides, so I'm not going to rock the boat much more than that...just my .02 (or .03..)
Old 08-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Banned

Hey man,

Today a recieved a copy of the drivetrain blueprints for both the 1992 Maxima and also the 1992 Axxess 4WD.

The wheelbase of the axxess is 2 inches longer than the Maxima's so unless you alter how the engine sits or the front and rear suspension locations you will need to shorten the driveshaft to the rear.

It also looks like the rear sub frame will need to be strenthened with a couple cross braces and might need to be connected to the front subframe.

Brian
Old 08-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Banned

This is the framerail view, i can also scan the engine view and the sideview if you guys want, but... this give most of the info you might need.

Brian

PM me if you need better scans, the scan was originally in 600dpi which is about 80mb, so i didnt want to chew up my montly bandwidth on my site.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:52 PM

hey Taegost, I got your e-mail and replied.