3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Is there anybody here that has actually set the timing after a rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is there anybody here that has actually set the timing after a rebuild?

I just can't seem to get the timing "good enough" to get it started. Its close, or way off. I thought I had it right when I set the distributor, but I guess it was 180 off, or on the wrong stroke.

I understand setting the #1 piston at TDC. I understand the mark on the distributor, but what I don't understand is how you pick the correct TDC. There are 2 compression strokes per cycle, but the plugs only fire in the first (after intake).

So out of the 4 different ranges (cam and crank) for the distributor, how do I figure out the "right" one?
Old 07-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

are you sure you put the dist. in right? After I rebuilt the heads on my 92 and put it together I followed the FSM on putting the dist. back in but it ran like pure crap.

(Ok I am editing this part of my post because after thinking about what the problem was some more I think I was wrong in what I wrote...if you didnt read it then dont worry about it lol.)

I think my problem was that I put the dist. in 1 or 2 teeth off. I think when I slipped the dist. in that I turned it a little and that put it off.

check that just for the heck of it.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:22 PM

so dumb question here. When you line up the marks on the dist, and stick it in the head, the rotor is supposed to turn a little right? I wish that thing was keyed...

I'm not sure you can call it "running like crap" its more like "not running like crap"

<---- not going to be a n00b mechanic much longer...
Old 07-15-2003, 11:14 PM

what is your car doing that makes you think the timing is off?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by todamax
so dumb question here. When you line up the marks on the dist, and stick it in the head, the rotor is supposed to turn a little right? I wish that thing was keyed...

I'm not sure you can call it &quot;running like crap&quot; its more like &quot;not running like crap&quot;

&lt;---- not going to be a n00b mechanic much longer...
yeah it turns a little. When I say running like crap I mean just like you described yours doing on the other forum.

just make sure that after it goes all the way down that the rotor aligns with the #1 spark plug wire. Now be careful with this because the way our caps are made the contacts on the inside may not be where you would think they are but you can tell by looking at it where the plug leads to the contact on the inside of the dist.

I bet thats your problem. Mine wouldnt start and was back firing...I kept twisting the dist. until I could get it to start and then it was running on maybe 2 cyl. I just knew I put the dist. in right since I followed the FSM. I was a little more careful the next time and saw where I made the mistake of putting it off a tooth because I did it again and when I saw it didnt align with the #1 terminal on the inside of the cap I took it out and moved it 1 or 2 teeth and it fired right up at that point.

I had never put a dist in the way the FSM says to do it because the motors I am used to (Chevy V8s) dont have the little alignment notches like that. You just have to do it until it aligns with the #1 terminal on the cap.

let us know.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:08 AM

but our distributors can move around a little for timing purposes. do you try putting it so the bolt hole is in the middle of the slot of the distributor?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by mtcookson
but our distributors can move around a little for timing purposes. do you try putting it so the bolt hole is in the middle of the slot of the distributor?
huh yeah it can be moved but put it a tooth off and see if it can be moved enough to get it to crank and run right.

the middle of the hole really doesnt matter because when you have the cams in the right spot the dist will go down on the gear and be in the same spot so you cant put the dist in trying to align it with the hole.

I dont know if my wording makes sense but its easy to understand if you think about it.

basically it will have the right amount of adjustment + & - when you put the dist. the right way on the cam gear...get it a tooth off and your in trouble though because you cant adjust it enough with that little bit of adjustment.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:52 AM

so you're saying if you get it on the correct tooth it should fall in the middle allowing plenty of adjustment + and -?

what i'm pretty much saying is if you put the distributor in without leaving room for advancing or retarding it will appear the timing is correct when it is not. i would think you would have to be sure to put the distributor in the middle of the timing bolt to have even timing selection and make for sure the timing is on the correct tooth.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I am saying it is impossible to make the dist. not have enough adjustment if you put it in right. You either have it in right or wrong there is no adjustment to it. You either have it on the right tooth and the adjustment will be fine or you get it a tooth off and its screwed up.

It takes very little movement of the dist to change the timing and have never believed in the "looks like its right" timing adjustment. I know several people adjust their timing by certain places on the motor but the only true way to adjust the timing is with a light and following the precedures in the FSM for doing it (at that point you can mark spots to know where to move the dist. the next time you want it at that timing).

you know the problem your having may be the same thing. I dont think you have your cams off if the marks on the t belt were right. I experienced the same thing you did with the cam gears not being exactly aligned with the markes on the cover...the cover moves and thats why I say I dont think thats the problem. As long as its close and the marks on the belt align with the marks on the cam gears and crank gear then you are fine...you can also count the number of teeth on the belt inbetween each gear.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:08 PM

yeah, i know what you're saying.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:55 PM

this timing crap is annoying me (with my car). if you have the piston at tdc of the compression stroke the timing notches on the pulley should be at 0 degrees, right? now, if it is at 0 degrees shouldn't the rotor point directly to the cylinder 1 firing point on the cap? i can't, for the life of me, get my distributor to line up at that spot.