3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

planning to replace bose hu and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 02:43 PM

planning to replace bose hu and speakers

ok im planning on replacing the bose hu and along with the speakders and amp....now as can i use the existing stock wires with the new speakers? and what about the attenna, do i have to install a new one too? also about the speaker size, does she size have to matter? should i find out the size first b4 buying it, which brand name hu and speakers are the best, i bought a new hu about5 months ago but no new speakers
Old 04-02-2003, 03:00 PM

Id take this question over to the audio forum, you'd get more answers there Id imagine.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:14 PM

i just put in a new hu and speakers...rear ones anyway. best buy told me i HAD to buy new front, but they jes talk out the butt (not to offend anyone who works there) to make money. so anyway i got 6 by 9's in the rear.all the wiring is the same. now mind you you'll have to buy a wire harness..which is only maybe $12, and you'll prolly have to get an adapter too (best buy also told me there wasn't one to get) but there was (it's universal), and that only cost 12 too. hmm...no new antenna needed, oh and even if you add subs/amp/cap. there will be no need to do any rewiring. good luck and have fun - lemme know how it sounds
Old 04-06-2003, 04:16 PM

what brand hu did you buy? overall for price//output i'd go with either pioneer or alpine systems. im running an all pioneer, 3 way speakers all around, 180w head unit. no subs( dont need them while blazing zepplin down the street)

for your head unit most ones are a single dim unit, and fits exactly where you have the old bose one, no kits are needed. double dim should also fit if you take out the storage space below.

for speaker size, i put 6x9's, in the back and 6 1/2's up front, they should fit once you take out the bose system. from what i'm told bose runs on a different ohmage than most oem systems, so i went ahead and rewired everything. also everything was about 10yrs old, and for the best results better off just getting newer, higher gauge wires.

if you do plan on running subs and amps, i'd recommend just running the (pre-outs) wires from your hu to the trunk in advance while you are there working on them, makes it easier afterwards.

just a tip, run the amp power wires on one side of the car, and the signal wires on the opposite, just to be safe

hope this helped

drew
Old 04-06-2003, 05:42 PM

yes you can use the stock bose wires

***there are 4 wires going to each speaker, 2 for the amp and 2 (+ and -) for the spkr. I dont remember what color they are but you can figure it out once you get in there. Cut the 2 amp wires as you wont need them with the aftermarket HU and aftermarket spkrs. Connect the + and - to the new spkr

no you wont need a new antenna

***you can buy an antenna adaptor wire from like PCR, CC, or any joe schmo car stereo stores and connect it to the car's antenna plug that you unplugged from the bose HU...other end of the new adaptor goes into the new HU

speaker size/brand

***this is your option, hell with time and creativity i could custom install 12" subs in my front doors. My goal was to go a little beyond just a "stock replacement" for my system.. i did 6.5 mids in the doors (former location of the bose 4.5 in which i had to make a custom housing to fit the 6.5s) and 1" swivel tweeters up in the A pillars. Great "sound stage" up in the front with the mids down low and the highs echoing up there off the windshiled. For rears i did 4 way 6x9s.

pictoral detail of my stereo