3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help needed after strut install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 07:14 PM

Help needed after strut install

Last weekend I put new struts on the front of my car just your plain everyday strut nothing fancy. Anyway now I have 5-6" of wheel well gap instead of the 2-3 I had before. Does something need to settle or is something out of wack???
Old 03-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you didn't change the springs, I dont think it will settle much

make sure the spring is seated correctly on teh strut
on the lower part, there is an indention where the end of the spring should sit up against and on the top, there is a notch cut out of the upper strut mount that should point towards the wheel hub
Old 03-18-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
if you didn't change the springs, I dont think it will settle much

make sure the spring is seated correctly on teh strut
on the lower part, there is an indention where the end of the spring should sit up against and on the top, there is a notch cut out of the upper strut mount that should point towards the wheel hub
Craig, Nice to see your still around here.

Anyways the bottom seat is proper but I was reading in my haynes ( yeah I know ...) tonight when I saw that notch and I dont even remember seeing it but it could be whats causing all this I know it sure looks funny. If the notch isint correct can I turn it or something with the strut on the car I just got it aligned today and dont want to have to do it again
Old 03-18-2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Damion

Craig, Nice to see your still around here.

Anyways the bottom seat is proper but I was reading in my haynes ( yeah I know ...) tonight when I saw that notch and I dont even remember seeing it but it could be whats causing all this I know it sure looks funny. If the notch isint correct can I turn it or something with the strut on the car I just got it aligned today and dont want to have to do it again
you might be able to twist it i think, but just take it out and reassemble. It's always wise to be on the safe side.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yup, I'm still here

I can't remember for sure but I think the upper mount may be a little slanted to compensate for the spring ending, but I dont know for sure.

I'd take that strut out and get some spring compressors to compress it. You probably dont need to compress it all the way, but I dont know if you'll be able to move the strut mount by itself without doing that (also, if the spring is under a lot of pressure - it always is - and you start twisting it, it may want to start coming out of the mount to the side which would not be good; I doubt that would actually happen, but it's not something you'd want happening).
Use the spring compressor for safety (you can rent them at some auto parts stores for free - Autozone here in the US if you have that). It's a front strut so it's not that much work to get it out. You should be able to do the whole procedure in an hour or so.

the notch should point straight out towards the hub (line it up with the bracket at the bottom of the strut that attaches to the hub with the 2 large bolts)

good luck and hope that fixes it
Old 03-19-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
yup, I'm still here

I can't remember for sure but I think the upper mount may be a little slanted to compensate for the spring ending, but I dont know for sure.

I'd take that strut out and get some spring compressors to compress it. You probably dont need to compress it all the way, but I dont know if you'll be able to move the strut mount by itself without doing that (also, if the spring is under a lot of pressure - it always is - and you start twisting it, it may want to start coming out of the mount to the side which would not be good; I doubt that would actually happen, but it's not something you'd want happening).
Use the spring compressor for safety (you can rent them at some auto parts stores for free - Autozone here in the US if you have that). It's a front strut so it's not that much work to get it out. You should be able to do the whole procedure in an hour or so.

the notch should point straight out towards the hub (line it up with the bracket at the bottom of the strut that attaches to the hub with the 2 large bolts)

good luck and hope that fixes it
Yeah I have access to a $1200 spring compressor but i dont want to mess up the alignment again ( I just got it done yesterday ) Ill try just dropping the top bracket and seeing whats what mabye Kaleb or someone would know