3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Craig: Question regarding wiring (Similar to the warning chime thing)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 01:48 PM

Craig: Question regarding wiring (Similar to the warning chime thing)

In the thread here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=ignition
another guy brought up an interesting problem that I am experiencing as well. I removed my lock timer because I could never lock the doors, or they'd lock on their own. I'm pretty sure it's related to the fact that my ignition switch is totally shot, but if I don't have to replace it, I don't want to (I like the added freedom it gives me)
However, I miss my power locks... I have snipped the wire that activates the warning chime, but is that the same wire the timer uses to determine whether it should lock the doors or not?
In other words, I know there is a built-in security feature that doesn't lock the drivers side door if the key is in the ignition. Is the wire that controls that the same as for the warning chime? If not, which one is?
I want to see if I can just cut the wire and have the locks work correctly again.
If there isn't a wire, then I guess I'll buckle down and by myself a new switch (Yay, $120 more gone)
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2003, 05:37 AM

Or anyone who might know?

I'd love to be able to have my locks back again and not have to actually fix my switch... I kinda like the way it is now
Old 01-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Craig: Question regarding wiring (Similar to the warning chime thing)

Originally posted by Taegost
In the thread here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=ignition
another guy brought up an interesting problem that I am experiencing as well. I removed my lock timer because I could never lock the doors, or they'd lock on their own. I'm pretty sure it's related to the fact that my ignition switch is totally shot, but if I don't have to replace it, I don't want to (I like the added freedom it gives me)
However, I miss my power locks... I have snipped the wire that activates the warning chime, but is that the same wire the timer uses to determine whether it should lock the doors or not?
In other words, I know there is a built-in security feature that doesn't lock the drivers side door if the key is in the ignition. Is the wire that controls that the same as for the warning chime? If not, which one is?
I want to see if I can just cut the wire and have the locks work correctly again.
If there isn't a wire, then I guess I'll buckle down and by myself a new switch (Yay, $120 more gone)
Thanks in advance!
sorry for the late reply; I saw this thread a while back but didn't have time to reply and then forgot about it

the wire you cut for the key-in chime is at the time control unit (not door lock timer). The time control unit doesn't control the locking or unlocking at all.
I'm not sure about a feature to prevent the drivers door from locking, mine seems to lock fine if the key is in or not.

I think you should probably go ahead and get that igntion replaced

good luck and hope that fixes your problems