3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

struts and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 02:38 AM

struts and stuff

4.34am
aiight i just spent the most part of the night installing my new eibachs, sway bars and rear struts. For anyone who hasn't done it before, I'll have to say it's not that hard to do, you just have to be prepared to take forever on each wheel, like i did/am doing. I got the passenger side strut and spring off and got them compressed to get the strut off. Being my first time doing anything serious to my car, I was totally unaware of how to even approach things. I had got the strut center bolt off when the spring catapulted and scared the bejeezus out of me. My friend who was working on his truck at the same time and is pretty experienced but was going to let me "handle things" explained to me that the compressors should be on opposite sides and should be compressed evenly like 2 turns here, two turns there. what had happened in my case was one of the compressors had slipped and spun around to the other compressor. He also told me springs had decapitated many a man. needless to say my friend had to help me get the compressors off the compressed springs cos i was too chicken to get them off.

Concerning the sway bars, I got the front one off and it did not match the one I had....I mean the st one was definitely thicker and all but the twists at the end where the bolt to the control arm goes (i think) were not the same. Could someone explain if this is normal and if there is some magic trick to put them on?I'm aiming to complete the remaining 3 springs and struts and the sway bars within the next two days, hopefully. Any tips/ suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

l.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check out www.4dsc.com/articles
how-tos on springs/struts and also sway bar

they should be helpful

be careful, glad you didn't hurt yourself with that spring
if you did the front strut already, be prepared for a lot more work in the rear

good luck

I'll reply to that email soon, finals are just kicking my **** right now
Old 12-10-2002, 08:59 AM
ShOwMaX

to me, i think doing the rear springs were easier!! the front takes forever to compress. the only problem w/ the rear is taking those long bolts off. About 3 of them i believe. At least thats how i did it. Took the whole hub out. But the front, when i did it i had to compress it to the max.

Old 12-10-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by ShOwMaX
to me, i think doing the rear springs were easier!! the front takes forever to compress. the only problem w/ the rear is taking those long bolts off. About 3 of them i believe. At least thats how i did it. Took the whole hub out. But the front, when i did it i had to compress it to the max.
did you change the struts too? it sounds like you didn't

that is more fun because you have to take apart the old cartrige and then drop in the new insert and close it back up, not that hard, just more work
Old 12-10-2002, 12:00 PM

My rears were a total beetch. Everything was rusty and I ended up slamming it with hammers to get it out. Took me hours . Now I get to try to replace the springs on my Dodge. I'm assuming it's pretty much the same, but upon examination it looks to be different. I hope I don't have any problems as it's a Stratus and it's hard to find the internet support that I've found so often here for the Maximas.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by nismo1989
My rears were a total beetch. Everything was rusty and I ended up slamming it with hammers to get it out. Took me hours . Now I get to try to replace the springs on my Dodge. I'm assuming it's pretty much the same, but upon examination it looks to be different. I hope I don't have any problems as it's a Stratus and it's hard to find the internet support that I've found so often here for the Maximas.
Try Stratusphere. I've posted there before. It's not as fast moving as maxima.org, but you can get good answers. There is a good search engine and FAQ's as well.

What kind of Stratus? We have a 99 V6 w/Autostick
Old 12-10-2002, 04:09 PM

Follow Up

5.57pm.
Aiight I was in at 10 this morning to continue installing the struts and stuff. Installing the fsb was pretty easy...you just have to read the instructions on how to assemble the bolts and grommets and washers and stuff. Note that the position the new fsb is going to be on is totally different from the way the stock one was on (I'm saying all this cos I might wind up adding to the writeup that I got off the faqs and 4dsc articles...i think it will really help others like me that have no idea what they are doing)

That said, I'll be returning in about an hour to do the rears. Hopefully it isnt as tedious as the front and I hope i dont have to use that freaking compressor. I'm too scared to touch it now.

I might probably start on the mounts tonight too if I get done with the rears by 10pm. Then hopefully, tomorrow remote start and alignment and we're ready to rock and roll! woohoo!

I'll take some pics of each step and up load to my system when i get done to add to the existing pics.

okay gotta roll. tata!
Old 12-10-2002, 11:43 PM

ok i aint modding my car myself anymore. Had I known the rears would be so involving, I would never have started. BTW there isnt any write up for the installation of suspension techniques rear sway bars. I have searched and searched. I have no idea how to do it. I mistakenly loosend a bolt that turned out to be the one with the brake fluid. Well it didnt leak a lot, just a tiny bit after which i tightened it back. I ahev never worked on brakes and this is/was my first exposure to brakes. I disassembled the calipers as in the instructions and supported the lines with a jackstand.

anyone have a writeup on installing suspensions tech rear sway bars?
Old 12-11-2002, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

Try Stratusphere. I've posted there before. It's not as fast moving as maxima.org, but you can get good answers. There is a good search engine and FAQ's as well.

What kind of Stratus? We have a 99 V6 w/Autostick
THANKS! I have a 2000 Stratus ES V6 with Autostick, leather, TW, Sunroof, tape/6 disc cd, fact. CF dash kit. It's a great daily driver kinda car, IMO, and my old lady loves it (a lot more comfortable than my Nissan!!!)
Old 12-11-2002, 08:11 AM
STFU n00b!

The rear struts are quite a bit more difficult than the front, but they're not really that hard at all. just time consuming. I can do the whole thing in about 3-4 hours with only hand tools. air tools, I can do it in under 2.

These pics should help you on the ST sway bars.

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...car/sway_bars/
Old 12-11-2002, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
The rear struts are quite a bit more difficult than the front, but they're not really that hard at all. just time consuming. I can do the whole thing in about 3-4 hours with only hand tools. air tools, I can do it in under 2.

Thank you for the pics matt! dang! you have no idea how grateful i am for them. I didnt get any instructions on how to install them from ST. I'm going back now to get them put on! Thanks again matt, that was a lifesaver!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

Thank you for the pics matt! dang! you have no idea how grateful i am for them. I didnt get any instructions on how to install them from ST. I'm going back now to get them put on! Thanks again matt, that was a lifesaver!

btw, when installing the springs on the rears (i got a set of used eibachs without any instructions either) the rear springs dont have any markings that say this side up or down, so I figured the tighter coils would be lower and the looser coils up top. Does that sound right or vice versa? I installed them with the eibach name the right way up on them.
Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:39 AM

well the install on the st rsb went smoothly, then i started installing the driver side rear strut and spring when i realised trierack had sent me the wrong strut cartridge. so i called them this morning and they are fedex overnight-ing me the right one, so I should be done by saturday latest. Then i can finally start on the mounts and the remote start. The rears arent too hard to do, just time consuming as craig said. While i was doing the passenger side rear, I disassembled the brake and pads and all that and dont know how to get them back on so the rotor doesn't slide out I'll get someone from midas to help me put it back together.

thanks for all thr help guys.

sola
Old 12-12-2002, 04:53 PM

Have you done a remote start before?

If you've got a lot of miles, Tach start is going to be the way to go.

I think when I installled my Eibachs, I put the tighter part at the top... It fit right anyway...
Old 12-13-2002, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by todamax
Have you done a remote start before?

If you've got a lot of miles, Tach start is going to be the way to go.

I think when I installled my Eibachs, I put the tighter part at the top... It fit right anyway...
never done remote start or any alarm job before. There's always a first time, the same way with the springs and struts: first time on those too without any knowledge or experience, but with enough paper work and readinf to help me out as well as the org,

I checked the eibach website and they said they are set with the writing the right way up. I am getting my strut from tirerack on saturday morning, so I can take the car for a quickie to warm it up as i havent started it in about 9-10 days. Then I can start on the mounts and the alarm/remote start.

Thanks craig for the email, that is about all the info I think I might need concerning the neutral thingy. Really really appreciate all the help.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by lophix

never done remote start or any alarm job before. There's always a first time, the same way with the springs and struts: first time on those too without any knowledge or experience, but with enough paper work and readinf to help me out as well as the org,

I checked the eibach website and they said they are set with the writing the right way up. I am getting my strut from tirerack on saturday morning, so I can take the car for a quickie to warm it up as i havent started it in about 9-10 days. Then I can start on the mounts and the alarm/remote start.

Thanks craig for the email, that is about all the info I think I might need concerning the neutral thingy. Really really appreciate all the help.
Do you have a stick? There's a trick to the remote starts... if Craig hasn't already helped you with that.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:19 AM

Do you have a stick? There's a trick to the remote starts... if Craig hasn't already helped you with that.
yeah I told him how to do it safely with his 5spd so it wont start in gear
Old 12-14-2002, 11:07 PM

woohoo!! my car rides like it's on rails now!! I actually installed my springs and struts my self! I'm tha man!! Now i gotta get an alignment, get my mounts done and remote start. Man modding's fun!!
Old 12-16-2002, 12:27 AM

woohoo!! my car rides like it's on rails now!! I actually installed my springs and struts my self! I'm tha man!! Now i gotta get an alignment, get my mounts done and remote start. Man modding's fun!!
dang i sounded like like a two-year old.
On the lighter side, I have postponed doing my mounts cos finals start tomorrow. There is a weird thunk sound on the front driver side when I go over some (some) small holes and slight bumps, but no sound in major bumps, and it doesnt feel like anything is loose. I am going to take the car to a mechanic in any case to do a quick look over.Before that, I will go under the car tomorrow to make sure I tightened all the bolts right again, even though I'm sure I did.

Anybody interested in powder coating their manifold?
Old 12-16-2002, 05:04 AM

Anybody interested in powder coating their manifold?
Yeah... any pics of examples by chance??
Old 12-18-2002, 02:36 AM

Yeah... any pics of examples by chance??
aiight i tried to think of what we could use to show what we could do with p/c, so here's what we did last night.
http://www.geocities.com/solpir/xpertinstaller.html

Oh and btw pics of my car will be up later today. We have started a company that will deal in a lot of auto stuff, mainly car audio. I already have the org in mind, and so there is already a group sale writeup been made and will be ready after christmas. We will be dealing but not limited to the ffng:

Memphis Subs and Amps,
Mark Anthony Amplifiers (Very very impressive in performance)
Custom building, installs involving but not limited to fiberglass, p/coating, competitive audio, alarms....quite a lot.

Umm there are quite a few more that I cant think of right now(it's 4.30am), but my boss can help you out with any q's. The website is www.xpertinstaller.com We have a forum that has just been started so feel free to make a ruckus over there. We hope to be very closely affiliated with the org once we kick into high gear after CES.

I kinda have issues with my car once again...the driver side seems to be making a weird clunk/thunk noise anytime i go into a slight pothole. Someone has suggested that it might be the bearings need greasing...I hope that's it. But I will have someone check it out to make sure I didnt mess up the install of the spring there. My rear passenger side also makes a clunk sound sporadically which I kinda attribute to my rotor being loose if that is possible...stopping power isnt affected tho so i'm not too sure. Might also be the spring, who knows? Mechanic will also take a look at that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help/input.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:32 AM

aiight my bad, and no flames please. The mechanic checkedout my car and it was the driver side strut that hadnt been fully tightened in the hood yeah i know I'm a dumba$$. I also had the alignment done and the guy there said everytime he got it aligned it popped back out when turned fully. Suggested the rack and pinion (yeah. i changed that in july with a brand new one) so i figure it's the lca bushing again. I went to my gf's parents' place last night and dang! The car handles so well it's freaky to imagine I was actually clocking out on stock suspension... the rsb does make a difference and I feel the car tighten up at about 115(Kansas Back/Farm roads)...so my final grades to the following mods

FSB and RSB : a must 5/5
Eibach and Gr2s (if tokicos are too expensive for you, like me): best bang for buck: 6/5

Now i am happy.

Oh question: I hooked up my laptop to my h/u (jvc khameleon) It was powered by my cig lighter inverter. When the inverter was turned on it made a constant whine in the speakers, but when I switched it off, it was crystal clear. I'm not too good with electronics, but what usually causes this?