3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any one know how to disable the ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 06:00 PM

Any one know how to disable the ABS?

I have a wheel sensor that is messed up so I just want to disable the ABS with out the anti lock light coming on. anyone know how to do this what shouls I unplug??
Old 11-07-2002, 10:29 PM
STFU n00b!

pull the fuse.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
pull the fuse.
yes but then the light comes on and i dont want to rip my dash apart to pull the bulb there must be a clip or something i can undo that wont turn the light on
Old 11-08-2002, 06:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Damion

yes but then the light comes on and i dont want to rip my dash apart to pull the bulb there must be a clip or something i can undo that wont turn the light on
the control unit (for US models at least) is in the trunk next to the passenger side speaker, you could try unplugging that if the fuse thing didn't work
Old 11-08-2002, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

the control unit (for US models at least) is in the trunk next to the passenger side speaker, you could try unplugging that if the fuse thing didn't work
yeah the module is there on canadian maxs too but i felt around it and it seems like all of the wires are run inside the module and that thers no plug? i dont know but i have the fuses out and that light is annoying
Old 11-08-2002, 12:22 PM

It doesn't seem like a wheel speed sensor would be a big deal to change. Is it? I'd rather have the safety of ABS than just turn the light out and forget it, wouldn't you?
Old 11-08-2002, 12:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Uh...
1) Go to junk yard
2) Pull an used abs speed sesnor/harness from any 3-gen w/ abs. Even switching sides might work if you can deal with the brackes pointing the other way.
3) Install on your car, problem solved. Less time that trying to hokie-disable it.
4)BTW. It only cost me about $10 for an used one. They rarely break unless you forget to disconnect it and stretch one while doing struts/CVs etc..
Old 11-08-2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Uh...
1) Go to junk yard
2) Pull an used abs speed sesnor/harness from any 3-gen w/ abs. Even switching sides might work if you can deal with the brackes pointing the other way.
3) Install on your car, problem solved. Less time that trying to hokie-disable it.
4)BTW. It only cost me about $10 for an used one. They rarely break unless you forget to disconnect it and stretch one while doing struts/CVs etc..
That's what I'm sayin..I wish I had ABS and this guy wants to disable it?? WTF
Old 11-10-2002, 05:53 PM

id go to a junk yard but theres no maxs in any around here

ive never had a car with abs so not having it wont affect me anyway but i ended up pulling the fuses and taking the dash apart and pulled the light
Old 11-10-2002, 08:39 PM

ive never had a car with abs so not having it wont affect me anyway but i ended up pulling the fuses and taking the dash apart and pulled the light
Order one dude. Most yards that pull parts for you would glady ship one to you, if you pay ofcourse. I actually know a place that went so far as to meet me halfway, about $150 worht of stuff. They specialize in NIssan parts. I bet they'd ship ne to you..they rule. And you would wish you had the ABS working in a panic stop situation. I think you are making a big mistake. BUt whatever man, I hope you don't need to stop short..ever.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:39 PM

Order one dude. Most yards that pull parts for you would glady ship one to you, if you pay shipping ofcourse. I actually know a place that went so far as to meet me halfway, about $150 worht of stuff. They specialize in NIssan parts. I bet they'd ship ne to you..they rule. And you would wish you had the ABS working in a panic stop situation. I think you are making a big mistake. BUt whatever man, I hope you don't need to stop short..ever.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by male

Order one dude. Most yards that pull parts for you would glady ship one to you, if you pay shipping ofcourse. I actually know a place that went so far as to meet me halfway, about $150 worht of stuff. They specialize in NIssan parts. I bet they'd ship ne to you..they rule. And you would wish you had the ABS working in a panic stop situation. I think you are making a big mistake. BUt whatever man, I hope you don't need to stop short..ever.
If you know how to work the brakes, it's not a big deal, and sometimes you can stop better... Every vehicle I've ever owned didn't have ABS, and I've learned how to work it to my advantage... I've driven 3rd Gens both with and without ABS, and in both cases I can stop faster and better without it, and in cases of snow or ice, I could actually stop a LOT shorter...
But, I also learned how to race and drive without it, for someone that never really had that experience, then yeah, disabling ABS is dumb...
Old 11-11-2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Taegost

If you know how to work the brakes, it's not a big deal, and sometimes you can stop better... Every vehicle I've ever owned didn't have ABS, and I've learned how to work it to my advantage... I've driven 3rd Gens both with and without ABS, and in both cases I can stop faster and better without it, and in cases of snow or ice, I could actually stop a LOT shorter...
But, I also learned how to race and drive without it, for someone that never really had that experience, then yeah, disabling ABS is dumb...
I know what you're saying, I never owned a vehicle with ABS, so I know how to modualte brakes on snow, ice, wet and dry. But I could never modulate them faster than 60 times a second, which is about what ABS does..pretty good. I have heard that ABS is not ideal in all situations. I'm positive in a dry panic stop they would stop way shorter than non-ABS, but rain and snow may be different. For me, it would be more of a scab issue. That is having the added parts and weight of the ABS system doing nothing. Good luck at any rate. Drive carefully.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by male

I know what you're saying, I never owned a vehicle with ABS, so I know how to modualte brakes on snow, ice, wet and dry. But I could never modulate them faster than 60 times a second, which is about what ABS does..pretty good. I have heard that ABS is not ideal in all situations. I'm positive in a dry panic stop they would stop way shorter than non-ABS, but rain and snow may be different. For me, it would be more of a scab issue. That is having the added parts and weight of the ABS system doing nothing. Good luck at any rate. Drive carefully.
This is true, I'm not used to "panic stopping" in dry conditions, but now that you bring it up, I think you're right about that one.
Faster is not always better too, but I've seen so many issues with ABS, personally I think non-ABS is safer in the long run, for me at least. Every vehicle my mother has owned with ABS has had so many problems with the brakes locking up I've lost count, and when you're driving a 3/4 ton pickup, it's NOT a good thing.
I'm so used to pumping my brakes anyway that I disable ABS whenever I stop, so it would be rather pointless since it's so ingrained <chuckle>
Old 11-11-2002, 03:47 PM

The ABS saved my life and my tyres a few weeks ago. Well I kinda exaggerated about the life bit, but if my max didn't have any abs brakes, My front would have been inside another cars backside and my max's backside would have been housing another car.

The story was that someone was driving too fast down a road and realised that he had to turn right (it was a single lane and we drive on the left side), so he just brakes all of a sudden. Luckly I was paying attention and wacked the brakes while at the same time think come on kick in ABS breaks... I felt the wheels roll hard to a stop...

now the guy behind me was driving an old toyota camry, and luckly he was like 3 secs behind me and I saw him lock his brakes in my rear mirror when I had stopped... I must say there was a lot of smoke coming out of his tyres!

I love my ABS... driven in cars without ABS... once you have them and used them... you'll love them.