3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

White-grey smoke coming out from muffler for more than 10 minutes in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 12:12 PM

White-grey smoke coming out from muffler for more than 10 minutes in the morning

Every morning, when I start my car (maxima SE 1992, auto), I can see
heavy white-grey smoke coming out from the exhaust. If I let the car
idle, the smoke can last for more than 10 minutes. If I run my car
for a while, the smoke disappears. The coolant level is constant for
a long time, so it should not be the coolant leak. My front and rear
crankshaft seals have oil leak, but maybe not serious because the oil
level does not drop for several months.
Is this normal or something wrong?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

white grey smoke

If you live in an area where it's cold, this is normal. For instance, I live in Boston and during the winter months, right after I start the car, there is white smoke. It usually last for about ten minutes or so.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:26 PM

Re: White-grey smoke coming out from muffler for more than 10 minutes in the morning

Originally posted by northrabbit
Every morning, when I start my car (maxima SE 1992, auto), I can see
heavy white-grey smoke coming out from the exhaust. If I let the car
idle, the smoke can last for more than 10 minutes. If I run my car
for a while, the smoke disappears. The coolant level is constant for
a long time, so it should not be the coolant leak. My front and rear
crankshaft seals have oil leak, but maybe not serious because the oil
level does not drop for several months.
Is this normal or something wrong?
Thanks a lot for your help.
If its your head gasket, you will know. The white smoke will come out even after 10 minutes. You will also notice a loss of power.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:37 PM

Hearing about white smoke reminds me of something. Over summer I was at the track(not racing this time, just watching) and a 2002 Camaro SS Anniversary Edition pulled up to the line. Light turned green, white smoke out of the exhaust...lots of it. He pulled into the pits and I went to see what was up and he had 316 miles on the car, not even broken in yet, with a full nitrous kit. I saw him another time later in the summer at the track again and it turned out that he blew a hole in the head! Cool car, but a real idiot driving it...wish I had it on video!!
Old 10-11-2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by 92vemaxse
Hearing about white smoke reminds me of something. Over summer I was at the track(not racing this time, just watching) and a 2002 Camaro SS Anniversary Edition pulled up to the line. Light turned green, white smoke out of the exhaust...lots of it. He pulled into the pits and I went to see what was up and he had 316 miles on the car, not even broken in yet, with a full nitrous kit. I saw him another time later in the summer at the track again and it turned out that he blew a hole in the head! Cool car, but a real idiot driving it...wish I had it on video!!
Dude that sucks about the Camaro! I watched a guy running his Turbo Integra on the dyno. He pushed 283HP to the wheels. Then he got greedy. He turned the boost controller up from 14 to 17. He started the 2nd gear run, hit 303HP, and then boom! White smoke everywhere. Coolant started draining onto the roller. I have never seen anyone jump headfirst under a lowered Intergra with a drip pan - until then. The dyno owner was freakin out! The Integra had a block guard, but the top end was toast.

Not sure why I brought that up. I guess because it had to do with white smoke.

Old 10-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know you said that you don't think you have a coolant leak, but the only reason that the exhaust would be white is b/c your car is burning coolant. As far as i know that is the only reason y that would be happening.

-Payne
Old 10-11-2002, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by -MaxPayne-
the only reason that the exhaust would be white is b/c your car is burning coolant.
When I go outside and it's cold, I seem to be blowing white smoke from my mouth, yet I don't think i'm burning coolant.