3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 05:57 AM

Sensor problems

Heya... Since I only got one reply on my long topic (Thanx Pervis) I'm going to break everything down, starting with what I percieve to be the biggest problem first...
When I'm cruising and the engine speed is below 2000 RPM, with a steady foot on the gas, the engine will rev itself real quick, then go back to where it was... It's been doing it for a couple months now, but it's starting to happen a LOT more often... I lost count of how many times it did it in a minute period on the highway, but it ocurred every 3 seconds or so...
It does it in all 4 gears, and ONLY below 2k RPM cruising... At WOT, or ANY acceleration/deceleration, it doesn't ocurr... I'm thinking it might be a sensor, when I go home today I'm gonna try to get a read-out from the shifter...
Any ideas? MAF/Knock sensor? Bad voltage regulator in the alternator (Subject of my next post...)
TO BE CONTINUED...
Old 09-06-2002, 08:19 AM

Re: Sensor problems

Originally posted by Taegost
...Any ideas? ...TO BE CONTINUED...
Taegost--

Does any of this look similar:

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/surge.htm

--SAM
Old 09-06-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: Re: Sensor problems

Originally posted by SecretAsianMan

Taegost--

Does any of this look similar:

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/surge.htm

--SAM
It looks similar, not the same... But it gave me a bunch of ideas, thanx a lot!
I'm gonna go check some of that stuff out, I wrote it all down...
Old 09-06-2002, 08:47 AM

EDIT

Can't edit my last post, got a 404 error...
Anyhoo, I just called my bro and asked about a couple of these things, and when he told me where the O2 sensor is located, we're both almost 100% certain that's the problem, but he doesn't think I should replace it until I get my exhaust fixed, which won't be for a couple weeks because he feels that with the leak getting as bad as it is, it'll blow the sensor again.
Now, two stupid newbie mechanic questions:
1) If I don't replace it until the exhaust is fixed, how bad is it to drive it like that?
2) If it's pretty bad for it (Which I feel it is when I'm driving through rush-hour traffic almost every day) should I just replace now then replace it again when it gets fixed, or just not drive the car until I get the exhaust fixed?
The guy that's going to fix my exhaust, said he won't do it until I do my motor mounts, and the guy that was going to do my motor mounts had a family emergency and won't be back until next week...
So, there's my situation
Old 09-06-2002, 09:58 AM

Re: EDIT

Can't edit my last post, got a 404 error...
Anyhoo, I just called my bro and asked about a couple of these things, and when he told me where the O2 sensor is located, we're both almost 100% certain that's the problem, but he doesn't think I should replace it until I get my exhaust fixed, which won't be for a couple weeks because he feels that with the leak getting as bad as it is, it'll blow the sensor again.
Now, two stupid newbie mechanic questions:
1) If I don't replace it until the exhaust is fixed, how bad is it to drive it like that?
2) If it's pretty bad for it (Which I feel it is when I'm driving through rush-hour traffic almost every day) should I just replace now then replace it again when it gets fixed, or just not drive the car until I get the exhaust fixed?
The guy that's going to fix my exhaust, said he won't do it until I do my motor mounts, and the guy that was going to do my motor mounts had a family emergency and won't be back until next week...
So, there's my situation
If you ahve AAA (which I highly recommend) you should just try to do the exhaust repair yourself, and if you can't figure out how to finish it just get it towed for free with AAA to the mechanic to finish the job might save yourself a bit of cash, and learn about your Max.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:18 AM

take a look here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=147461

My car did the same thing when I held the pedal down. hope that helps any.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:27 AM

DaBox - No, you're car was doing something totally different, mine isn't cutting out but speeding up.
1993MaxSE - It's the manifold studs, I'm not messing with them, I have 4 broken so far, and it's getting fixed after I do the motor mounts. I don't have AAA, however my mother does, my sisters' ex-bf who is like my uncle is a driver for AAA, and we have 2 car trailers... I've got the hookup if I need to get towed
I just need to know how bad it is to drive on a faulty O2 sensor, which is what I'm sure it is. My bros Ford truck went 8 months without one and he didn't have any problem at all with it, and I figure if a Ford can go that long, a Nissan should be able to go 10 years
Old 09-06-2002, 12:29 PM

I just need to know how bad it is to drive on a faulty O2 sensor, which is what I'm sure it is. My bros Ford truck went 8 months without one and he didn't have any problem at all with it, and I figure if a Ford can go that long, a Nissan should be able to go 10 years
If it's the O2 sensor, then it's fine to drive on it, you'll just get slightly worse gas mileage because of it.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:10 PM

My bros Ford truck went 8 months without one and he didn't have any problem at all with it, and I figure if a Ford can go that long, a Nissan should be able to go 10 years
"ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it wasn't for Ford your tools would rust."

sorry, it was dumb but I need to say that.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by DaBoxSE

"ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it wasn't for Ford your tools would rust."

AND THAT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IS THE QUOTE OF THE DAY!!!