3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

$6 And a Jigsaw later...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 11:31 PM

$6 And a Jigsaw later...

Not so bad for only $6 at Lowe's. Picked up the 1/2" MDF on in the "left over cut offs" section of their wood department: $4. A can of pray paint: $1. And a couple of screws: few cents. Plus Memphis's brand new 10 cents to the dollar sales tax..Nice. Let me know what you guys think. I took pictures along the way and will post a walkthrough with measurements etc ASAP on my homepage if anyone is interested in trying it themselves. I think it looks really nice having the speaker flush against the grill like that. I also Dynamated..cough, Peal&Sealed just the passenger's side door. I'm going to leave it like that for a while and see if I can tell any difference in sound or tell if I can smell anything with the adheasive in this gastly heat we're having right now.(I know that has been a question in the past). Even if it doesn't make a difference it was only $12 for a 6"x25' roll.

Old 07-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey,
looks good.
let me know how the peel and seal works. also $1 for spray paint, i should take a trip to lowes. i made baffles too, but there just flat. im going to make some new angled ones when i get new speakers. i also plan on redoing my rear holes in the back.

looks good
MrGone
Old 07-18-2002, 12:28 AM

hey,
looks good.
let me know how the peel and seal works. also $1 for spray paint, i should take a trip to lowes. i made baffles too, but there just flat. im going to make some new angled ones when i get new speakers. i also plan on redoing my rear holes in the back.

looks good
MrGone
Old 07-18-2002, 05:42 AM

For some reason I can't see your pics, but I was doing the same thing this past weekend. I picked up a set of 6.5 focals for the front. I think the peal & seal rocks. I used about 3 rolls for the front two doors. I did the inside panel and the outside. I would say it is a huge difference. Once I finished one door I smacked my hand against the outside and then walked over to the stock door and did the same. Huge difference in sound. Road noise is significantly lower. I think I will be doing the rear doors, but just the inside of them. Just to cut down on road noise since there aren't speakers in them. The stuff was very easy to work with. I just left the roll out in the sun for a little while to help it get soft, cleaned off the surfaces with paint thinner, and cut my pieces with tin snips. Very easy and there is no odor that I can detect.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Mikey P
For some reason I can't see your pics, but I was doing the same thing this past weekend. I picked up a set of 6.5 focals for the front. I think the peal & seal rocks. I used about 3 rolls for the front two doors. I did the inside panel and the outside. I would say it is a huge difference. Once I finished one door I smacked my hand against the outside and then walked over to the stock door and did the same. Huge difference in sound. Road noise is significantly lower. I think I will be doing the rear doors, but just the inside of them. Just to cut down on road noise since there aren't speakers in them. The stuff was very easy to work with. I just left the roll out in the sun for a little while to help it get soft, cleaned off the surfaces with paint thinner, and cut my pieces with tin snips. Very easy and there is no odor that I can detect.
Hmm...Not quite sure I follow you there, the inside AND outside panels? What would be the outside panel?
Old 07-18-2002, 02:07 PM

When you take the door panel off, you reach through the access holes and with the window up you can reach the outer portion of the door shell. Essentially the other side of the sheetmetal that is visible from the outside of the car. I put a heavy layer on that as well as the inner portion of the door shell which the door panel attaches to. Hope that clears it up.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Mikey P
When you take the door panel off, you reach through the access holes and with the window up you can reach the outer portion of the door shell. Essentially the other side of the sheetmetal that is visible from the outside of the car. I put a heavy layer on that as well as the inner portion of the door shell which the door panel attaches to. Hope that clears it up.
Ahh, I follow you now. Makes sense. Did you just reach through the holes and put it on there or did you/can you pull that layer of sheet metal off to get to it?
Old 07-18-2002, 06:04 PM
THX
Hallelujah

D&S- very nice work. I did sorta the same thing in my 3rd gen but went with 6.5 components:

Check my homepage too for a small tutorial on the process.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:05 PM

You have to reach through the access holes. I just did this on my car. I DO have a bit of tar smell.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by todamax
You have to reach through the access holes. I just did this on my car. I DO have a bit of tar smell.
Hmm...I'm wondering if that is going to make that much of a difference...Reaching through the holes like that. Because it sounds like a pain. Does anyone know if it is the same kind of thing with the trunk lid? With two layers of sheet metal like the doors? I'm about to do it tonight. THX, I like what you did there too. Is that your crossover for the tweeter sitting right beside it?