3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VE engine removal points

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 09:31 PM

VE engine removal points

My FSM hasn't arrived yet, and I am ready to pull the engine. Everything has been disconnected, except the motor mounts, obviously. I am pulling the engine and manual tranny at once. What are the bolt points for cherry picker?
Old 07-17-2002, 11:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

See that's just it. The Nissan manual states you should drop it ala VW bug style. You raise the hell out of the car and drop the engine down via jack or picker. Since I "think" the manual says to use a jack, Nissan doesn't provide any good chain attachment points. I suppose you could wrap a chain around the exhaust manifolds and protect the covers etc.. w/ towels inbetween the engine and chains.

I would seriously think about removing the tranny. If you are indeed gonna try to lift it out:
1) The VE engine is heavy as hell and you don't need another 75lbs. attached to it.
2) Space will be fairly limited. Even if you take the hood off(which you will have to do), it might be hard to lift out easy. I guess if you don't care too much about the body(in your case), I guess it might be okay.

You bought Mike's car?
Old 07-18-2002, 07:46 AM

If all goes well I am really hoping to get his car. I don;t have a problem dropping the engine/tranny out of the car. Won't it be a HUGE PIA to get it back into the other car, lining it up and such? How high up does the car usually need to be raised? My jack stands only take the car up about a foot. This is why I am considering taking it out the top. It looks that I can pull it straight out, but it would have to be straight as an arrow, which never happens, so if it is going to angle, I can angle it lenghtwise, then it should come out no problem from what I see. But then again I have never pulled this particular engine/tranny.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:13 AM

When I pulled my VG I believe I used one of the air conditioner bolts and on of the tranny or motor mount bolts you just have to make sure it's somewhat balanced. I know the VE is in the engine bay quite a bit tighter than a VG. The biggest problem I had was getting past the air conditioning lines that go aorund the left side of the engine once I got past those, it pulled right out. When we put it back in it wasn't as hard as I had imagined, lining the motor mounts up is a PITA though. I would go from the top unless you have a lift and engine stands with straps. Good luck man, and take some pics while you're doing it, I have pics of mine hanging off the engine hoist on my homepage.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

I used some jacks that could extend to about 2ft. But I still had to block it w/ 2x6s to get another 6"-8" in height. You have to have the car high enough to drop the engine and pull it out from under the car. I orginally had a dolley w/ wheels. But you could drop the engine down on cardboard, drag it out and then set it on a dolly.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:22 AM

Should I not even try pulling it out the top? It looks to me with everything off, that it should barely fit through the hole straight up. Maybe pull it out like a V8 with tranny attached, angling it quite a bit, then pulling it out. I don't have a lot of overhead clearance in my garage
Old 07-18-2002, 11:32 AM
I'm needing a caw

Guys have pulled their VG motors but none w/ VEs. Pull motor. Yeah it should work. Pull motor w/ tranny? You are own your own. I'll take a look at my motor later and give some thoughts

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA
Should I not even try pulling it out the top? It looks to me with everything off, that it should barely fit through the hole straight up. Maybe pull it out like a V8 with tranny attached, angling it quite a bit, then pulling it out. I don't have a lot of overhead clearance in my garage
Old 07-18-2002, 01:06 PM

I'll try pulling it out, taking pics all the way. If that doesn't work, I'll just cut the chain and hope for the best :-).