3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Custom Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 11:57 PM

Custom Box

I know a couple of you guys out there have custom fit boxes for your trunks, and they look damn good, so now I want one too. I was wondering if any of you still have the measurements for them? Or if anyone knows them? I'm wanting to build one/buy one for my 2 12s, and I want them just flat facing the trunk lid. Do you have to build the box from inside the trunk in order to get a good fit in our Maximas? I don't want to buy one...And then not be able to get it in there.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:19 AM

umm... i think honestly the only number you need to worry about
is width of the trunk... the sub box probably won't be too high

if i remember right, my trunk width was 36"... can anybody confirm?

any good stereo shop should be able to build you a box quick
and easy
Old 07-14-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Evil Yak

and easy
Saying the width of the trunk is 36"...Does anyone know if you have to build the box inside the trunk in order to get a good fit?
Old 07-14-2002, 11:59 AM

and easy
its about 36...same as the 2nd gen's
Old 07-14-2002, 12:33 PM

and easy

hahaha any good stereo shop..

YA LIKE MY BOX BUILDING SKILLS HUH.. oh yea.. HAHAHAHA
Old 07-14-2002, 12:53 PM

Re: Custom Box

D&S...looks like you already have a box for your subs. I dont see much to gain from a custom fit box...but if you just want that clean look, build a panel (fiberboard) in front of your box (with cut out holes over the subs, plexiglass, etc). It'd look just like a custom made box and that'd be so much easier and that's what lots of people do anyway.

What'd be cool would be building the sub box into the floorboard utilizing the spare tire space. Then you'd still basically have complete trunk room. It's pretty straight foward...build a box frame around the trunk, fiberglass in the box bottom, then the top of the box is just a cutout of the trunk floor basically. There's your basic box, then you just have to worry about volume, etc for the subs. But that comes later.

Me and my brother did that in his civic.....fit 2 12's in there and a custom rack on top for the amp/capacitor/etc. I envy his system.

Here's a little pic when we got the box in place...

Old 07-14-2002, 03:11 PM

i think he means somethinglike this
Old 07-14-2002, 11:35 PM

Re: Re: Custom Box

Originally posted by James12345
D&S...looks like you already have a box for your subs. I dont see much to gain from a custom fit box...but if you just want that clean look, build a panel (fiberboard) in front of your box (with cut out holes over the subs, plexiglass, etc). It'd look just like a custom made box and that'd be so much easier and that's what lots of people do anyway.

What'd be cool would be building the sub box into the floorboard utilizing the spare tire space. Then you'd still basically have complete trunk room. It's pretty straight foward...build a box frame around the trunk, fiberglass in the box bottom, then the top of the box is just a cutout of the trunk floor basically. There's your basic box, then you just have to worry about volume, etc for the subs. But that comes later.

Me and my brother did that in his civic.....fit 2 12's in there and a custom rack on top for the amp/capacitor/etc. I envy his system.

Here's a little pic when we got the box in place...
Yeah...I just want it to look cleaner, plus maybe gain a little more room in my trunk from having a little more efficently fitting box. I actually thought about just putting a panel in there...but I wouldn't gain the extra space...But say I just decided to build a 2 sided panel to fit over the sub side and top side...Do you think you could tell? Would it look ghetto? I don't yet have the skills required to build anything as serious as fitting a box into the spare tire space. Nor the money to buy one like that. And Pest...That setup is just plain sick.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:58 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: Re: Re: Custom Box

Originally posted by D & S

Yeah...I just want it to look cleaner, plus maybe gain a little more room in my trunk from having a little more efficently fitting box. I actually thought about just putting a panel in there...but I wouldn't gain the extra space...But say I just decided to build a 2 sided panel to fit over the sub side and top side...Do you think you could tell? Would it look ghetto? I don't yet have the skills required to build anything as serious as fitting a box into the spare tire space. Nor the money to buy one like that. And Pest...That setup is just plain sick.
A custom box is useless if the box is too big for the subs...check the required air space for the subs then build a box appropriately. I have a 1 cubic ft box...but that is all my 1 12 requires...also..its going to be quite difficult for you to gain too much space without going with the sub in the spare tire space idea...but with that you lose your spare, which I think would suck for a daily driver...for a show car....sure....but not for the daily driver maxima.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by pest2001
i think he means somethinglike this
yes, that is pretty... i want those silver Punch Links... i cant find them anywhere
Old 07-15-2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Shugarhi

yes, that is pretty... i want those silver Punch Links... i cant find them anywhere
I'm guessing I could gain a little more space by building the box to fit the slant of the back seat,as well as making it as wide as the length between the wheel wells. I know my subs recommend 1.5 cu. ft. of air space each, building the right size of the enclosure wouldn't be a problem...I'm just worried about possibly having to build it inside the trunk...Cuz that just sounds like a pain in the ***.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:48 PM

I built some side panals to extend my sub box...made from 1/2 MDF and carpeted.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:26 PM

Im getting ready to build a custom enclosure, and like the other guy said you really need to check out and build a box to your speakers peak performance requirements! I also am going to use the slant in my trunk to my advantage in the struggle for space as my car is a daily driver and family car! I plan to put my nos in the spare tire well w/plexiglass over it and then who knows where to put my battery and amp, but it will all work out! Just take your time and do it the way you want it not somebody else, its your ride so do it to your specifications. Hey guy with the punch you must not race because that sweet rig you got looks very heavy!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:15 PM

a little OT...

will a second battery help with dimming lights?
currently i'm running an optima redtop and stock alternator (newly rebuilt) and an ASP UDP...i was planning on putting one of the deep cycle marine batteries under the hood and relocated the red top to the trunk...
currently i have a PPI PC450 (50x4..only running 50x2 as of now), but will soon have (when i'm motivated enough to build my enclosure) my JBL BP600.1 back in, my door lights dim w/just the PPI at idle, i dont want to have dimming lights all the time w/the addition of the JBL..
should i get a capacitor (1 farad) for each amp? i know thats overkill (according to the wattage ratings, but whatever), but....
Old 07-16-2002, 05:09 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: a little OT...

Originally posted by MaDMaX024
will a second battery help with dimming lights?
currently i'm running an optima redtop and stock alternator (newly rebuilt) and an ASP UDP...i was planning on putting one of the deep cycle marine batteries under the hood and relocated the red top to the trunk...
currently i have a PPI PC450 (50x4..only running 50x2 as of now), but will soon have (when i'm motivated enough to build my enclosure) my JBL BP600.1 back in, my door lights dim w/just the PPI at idle, i dont want to have dimming lights all the time w/the addition of the JBL..
should i get a capacitor (1 farad) for each amp? i know thats overkill (according to the wattage ratings, but whatever), but....
Get a CAP!....it will ease the current pull on the alternator/battery
Old 07-16-2002, 08:37 AM

Re: Re: a little OT...

Originally posted by nupe500

Get a CAP!....it will ease the current pull on the alternator/battery
one for each amp or just one?
Old 07-16-2002, 08:45 AM
STFU n00b!

1. definitely get a cap for the system.

2. optima red top isn't the way to go either. go yellow. put the red away for safe-keeping or in another car.

3. no need for a second battery. I ran a TON more power on my car with no charging problems, but I had a bigass battery and a 1F cap in the system.

(PPI A404, A600, and A200. the A404 is the older equivalent of your PC450. 50x4. the A600 ran 600x1 mono. A200 ran 50x2. so obvisouly I'm running a TON of power on the stock charging system.)

my next system will dwarf that one, but I haven't had a chance to finish it yet.

Anyway, get a cap. that'll help with your dimming problems.
don't mess with relocating the battery.

As for the box question.. make the box 35.5". 36" is just barely too wide if you take out the carpet and stuff in the trunk. I made one at 36" for another .org member and it fit fine until I put carpet on the box and removed the carpet from my trunk to put the box directly on the floor... reason being is that the strut towers are sloped- which you can obviously see when you look in there. just thought I'd warn you.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:05 AM

If your putting out more than a 1000 watts put a yellow top with
2 1 farad caps in your trunk. I use to have a dimming problem on my 90 amp alternator till i upgraded it to 230 amp advance auto amp. My lanzar 500.2 was killing my car at hi volume, my lites would almost fade completely out. Having a yellow top with two caps in the trunk will eliminate the need for your system to scavenge for power. I dont compete anymore but I love to thump my music hard alll the time so if your that type of person then put the battery and caps in your trunk,if not what matt said will be suffienct enough!