Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

VQ30 HP record?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 AM

VQ30 HP record?

What's the most that anyone has gotten out of a stock VQ30 bottom end.. in Turbo form?

Travis
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maxima's don't have VQ's in them, go ask the Altima forum.

(and reliable HP or dyno queen worthless HP?)
Old 12-20-2005, 05:48 AM

I pulled 428h/379t with a Vortech V1 and 35 shot of juice. 100% OE stock motor original to the car.

Hal pulled more on a short dyno pull.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:54 AM

Here's Hal's post on the subject:

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...91&postcount=2
Old 12-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by MrGone
(and reliable HP or dyno queen worthless HP?)
the latter of course...

Old 12-20-2005, 09:55 AM

I though hal had dyno graph for 500hp and like 603wt
Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM
SomePsychoGuy

538whp 603tq (10/15/04)
11.9 @ 124.9mph with 1.88 60' low boost (11/7/04)

http://www.dynomagic.com/maxima/thefast_hlh.htm
Old 12-20-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SPiG
538whp 603tq (10/15/04)
11.9 @ 124.9mph with 1.88 60' low boost (11/7/04)

http://www.dynomagic.com/maxima/thefast_hlh.htm
hey this was done with a sotck motor wasnt it. DOes hal still have the car
Old 12-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Neal has it now....
Old 12-20-2005, 04:38 PM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
I pulled 428h/379t with a Vortech V1 and 35 shot of juice. 100% OE stock motor original to the car.

god this setup is one i wish i had...u mind pm'ing me on how it felt?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:39 PM

is it still as powerful when hal had it. If so is their any videos of the car running How did Hal run 476hp through stock injectors
Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

I believe so but you have to ask Neal about it, I know he isn't running nitrous(still hook up for it?) and he had a minor blown HG last time I heard. There is a streetfire.net video where Neal beat a ZO6 on the freeway. It was pretty cool.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:08 PM

So.. if someone made 603wtq.. I think it's safe to say that the engine will hold at least 600whp or so..

I'm build a S13 right now.. and I'm going to break the record on stock block. Turbo will be a Precision SC61 (S-cover and .82 4 bolt hot side) Stock block with VQ35 heads (8.5:1 C/R) I'll be using a Z33 trans.. JWT ECU with 750cc injectors and Ford Lightning MAF.

Travis
Old 12-20-2005, 07:00 PM
SomePsychoGuy

I would get the 100 octane program if you go with a JWT ECU turbo program and expect to make good power. I thought they didn't have a program for the Lightning MAF or the 740cc injectors for the Maxima yet. I thought that is what they told Mardigras when he wanted it.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:03 PM

Stock block or stock short block?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:19 PM

I would get the 100 octane program if you go with a JWT ECU turbo program and expect to make good power. I thought they didn't have a program for the Lightning MAF or the 740cc injectors for the Maxima yet. I thought that is what they told Mardigras when he wanted it.
if you pay for the gas, i'm sure he'd go for it.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:30 PM

They don't... I am going to work with Clark to get it going..

Travis
Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 PM

Stock block or stock short block?
Stock short block... stock pistons, rods, crank. I MIGHT put some ARP rod bolts.. and ceramic coat the domes of the pistons to prevent heat soak.

Travis
Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 AM

Travis,
I wish you'd consider keeping it all stock, as in completely virgin, untouched 3.0 long block from the bottom to the top. The reason: as far as I know nobody really know's what a VQ can hold and what will break first when properly tuned. It would be easier for you (less work), cheaper (atleast until it breaks) and would really be helpful for the VQ30 community.

Just my .02 cents.

allen
Old 12-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I don't think a stock VQ30 can hold over 500hp for more than just a dyno pull or two.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:14 AM

I think it should w/no problem but I have no proof.

allen
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by allen22
I think it should w/no problem but I have no proof.

allen

Hal went through several motors making the power he did. Neal has already gone through 2.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:46 PM
SomePsychoGuy

I think ARP head studs and a reliable tune and fuel setup would make all the difference in the world. Some cooling mods i.e. lower thermostat wouldn't hurt either.

if you pay for the gas, i'm sure he'd go for it.
I am saying run the 100 octane program on normal pump gas since the normal JWT turbo program is designed to lose power. You could put on a water/alcohol injection kit or even J&S Safeguard if you were having pinging problems.

Neal/Hal's car is interesting since in both cases they are running secondary injectors of some kind. Presently IIRC Neal is running some kind of secondary injectors on top of his 370cc's and Hal used to run with stock injectors, FMU, and overcompensated with a Wet Nitrous kit. Although Neal's solution is MUCH better in terms of reliability, neither is really great for our dry manifolds. I would not doubt that the vast majority of the blown VQ30s on the org were from tuning and/or fuel problems since tuning with our ECUs is just recently becoming a relatively simple task.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Bacon Lover

a relatively simple task.
I think that's even stretching it a bit
Old 12-21-2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Hal went through several motors making the power he did. Neal has already gone through 2.

Hal went through several motors because of the way he tuned them... He was using a nitrous nozzle for fuel enrichment under boost... Crude by any means of measurement.

The reason I am using VQ35 heads.. is to lower the compression ratio.. and I get a little better flow too. I think that the bottom end will hold for a while.. We'll find out though.. soon.

Travis
Old 12-21-2005, 01:10 PM

I think ARP head studs and a reliable tune and fuel setup would make all the difference in the world. Some cooling mods i.e. lower thermostat wouldn't hurt either.

I am saying run the 100 octane program on normal pump gas since the normal JWT turbo program is designed to lose power. You could put on a water/alcohol injection kit or even J&S Safeguard if you were having pinging problems.

Neal/Hal's car is interesting since in both cases they are running secondary injectors of some kind. Presently IIRC Neal is running some kind of secondary injectors on top of his 370cc's and Hal used to run with stock injectors, FMU, and overcompensated with a Wet Nitrous kit. Although Neal's solution is MUCH better in terms of reliability, neither is really great for our dry manifolds. I would not doubt that the vast majority of the blown VQ30s on the org were from tuning and/or fuel problems since tuning with our ECUs is just recently becoming a relatively simple task.
Both of them broke pistons... correct? If that's the case.. 9 times out of 10, that's from detonation.. Which can be prevented. If SR20 guys can make 550whp on stock, cast pistons.. then there's no reason we can't do it with lowered compression on VQ pistons.

Travis
Old 12-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Driving is the next best thing

May I ask you, what mileage did you have back than and how many miles do you have now?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Hal went through several motors making the power he
did. Neal has already gone through 2.
Mike we both know that Neal's fuel setup is less than ideal and his car was never tuned on a dyno. I think that when Neal puts DW 650s in and gets rid of those auxillary injectors his setup will be much better off. IMO the Aux RC injectors won't evenly disperse the atomized fuel properly, leaving a bank or two lean.

Another thing that Neal could use safety wise is Meth Injection and a knock light. Detonation is what killed Neal's engines and Hal's IIRC. Methanol injection will greatly decrease his chances of detonation, assuming a good tune.

If his plans come to fruition, I can see his car making 450+ whp reliabliy.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

its built but its high HP
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/500HPVQ.html
Old 12-21-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by TurboS13Hatch
Both of them broke pistons... correct? If that's the case.. 9 times out of 10, that's from detonation.. Which can be prevented. If SR20 guys can make 550whp on stock, cast pistons.. then there's no reason we can't do it with lowered compression on VQ pistons.

Travis

That's kind of the way I look at it too, with a whole liter more displacement 500hp should be cake. Not to offend anyone but I kinda wonder if anyone has properly tuned one of these at this kind of hp level.

allen
Old 12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
brotherhood of tq

from wat i have noticed it seems that many of the high hp failures we have had might have been due to tunning issues and not really wit the motor itself.... i would like to see how far this motor will go and wat will break first and at wat hp level
Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
from wat i have noticed it seems that many of the high hp failures we have had might have been due to tunning issues and not really wit the motor itself.... i would like to see how far this motor will go and wat will break first and at wat hp level

I agree, all of the problems have been because of bad tunes. I would like to see what a 3.0 can really do on a good tune. My thought is close to 600
Old 12-21-2005, 04:47 PM

We'll find out soon... 750cc injectors, and a SC61.. I'll have enough fuel and turbo for it.. that's for sure.

Travis
Old 12-21-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
May I ask you, what mileage did you have back than and how many miles do you have now?
Then was maybe 35k, I took the motor out at 75k, when I put my built one in. Compression readings were in the 210's at 35k, when I took the motor out they were 190's. So power does eat rings.

I am proud to say that that motor was used from day one and she took one heluva beating and lived! I give full credit to J&S Electronics Ultra Safeguard for the motor surviving. A $500 investment in electronics is much better than a new motor every six months!
Old 12-21-2005, 05:55 PM
SLOW

I need to clarify a few things about my car which used to be Hal's. He was originally running stock injectors and then it is my understanding he was supplying extra fuel through nitrous fuel jets, using them as makeshift "supplemental" injectors. Then at the same time he put the new piping setup on the car he switched over to using these twin RC750s in addition to six 370s in the stock fuel rail. The car still has the same fuel injector setup that it did when I purchased it from him. This setup is not ideal in my mind because I don't believe our intake manifold distributes fuel evenly to all of the cylinders, but I've been concentrating on other things up until now and it will get addressed in the spring when I start running DeatschWerks injectors as my only source of fuel, scrapping the auxiliary injectors.

I also think that people use the term "blown motor" rather loosely. While it is true that I will be pulling the motor out of the car again in the spring (not now because it's cold out), all it has is a blown headgasket. All the previous motor had was a blown headgasket - blown not simply because of power but because of the fact that my MAP sensor was not plugged in to the emanage correctly, resulting in the auxiliary injectors not even spraying fuel. I was making 1/4 mile passes at the track at what probably is in excess of 15:1 AFR, and the headgasket let go. I drove the car an hour and a half home. There was no catastrophic failure due to power, because frankly the tuning setup was not working at all at the time and I wasn't making that much power anyways, only trapping 115 on 12psi, probably like 370/370 to the wheels I'd estimate. I went out and drove the car with two cylinders at 50 compression because I knew the motor would be coming out anyways. I beat on the car for a night, making probably 20 back to back to back blasts through 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th gear, taking videos, just seeing how long the thing would hold out. All of the above was done without a wideband because I didn't have one at the time.

In some cars blown headgaskets are an easy couple hour fix, unfortunately given the shape and dimensions of the Maxima engine compartment, the fact that the rear bank headgasket is blown (hardest to get to), our complicated to remove timing chain setup, and the fact that I am going to be installing a new clutch and probably doing some more extensive work on my already built transmission, installation of an 00VI, installation of a new PS pump, all mean that it is far easier to just yank the engine than keep the same engine in there, and do a bunch of work around it. Yanking the engine in this car because of the lack of emissions equipment and exhaust piping is much easier than a "normal" maxima turbo setup. I can have the old motor out and new motor in in less than a day. It'd take the same amount of time to change the rear headgasket, probably more since I've never done it before.

I don't know how many motors Hal ever had in the car, we all know it was a good number of them, but I suspect most if not all of the motors he ever had in the car were "blown" in this fashion, or removed for other reasons entirely, not catastrophic failures due to HP. I do know for a fact he blew a headgasket on the dyno while spraying on the current setup, which results in a yanked motor, and just prior to me buying the car he put a new motor in it because the waterpump died on the previous one, again pulling a motor which has undoubtedly seen alot of power run through it is just as easy and probably smarter than replacing one failed part after another (it's the motor he dynod on and went to the track on in October 2004).

My point in all this is that I believe most "blown" VQs removed from and replaced in maximas are not the result of raw power, but because of less than ideal (or in some cases just plain poor) tuning and or supporting mod setups. I don't think we've really come all that close to seeing what sort of power is the failure point of the motor. My guess is that its upwards of 600-650 lb-ft of torque, but that's really just sortof an educated shot in the dark because no one with a very well monitored, ideal setup has been in that area on a stock motor that I know of. Mardi could have gotten there if he chose to I'm sure but when your built 3.5 is sitting in the garage waiting to be installed, pushing the limits just for the heck of it on your stock motor seems like a waste of time.

Me personally, I don't like replacing motors even though it's really pretty easy, so I'm going to continue trying to improve on the setup of my car to make big power more reliably.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 PM

Does anyone have pics of the stock internals of the VQ30?

Travis
Old 12-22-2005, 01:22 AM

so sounds like no one has ever bend a rod/spung a bearing due to too much power being generated very interesting. um.......
Old 12-22-2005, 04:34 AM

I can't find a single case of it..

Travis
Old 12-24-2005, 03:45 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Compression readings were in the 210's at 35k, when I took the motor out they were 190's. So power does eat rings.
Although I am sure high boost is not easy for the rings. Standard compression is 185. With all of the carbon and EGR buildup VQ30's tend to run with high compression anyway. I would think some of that has to do with the Water/Alch Injection and Nitrous you were running and cleaning out the combustion chamber a little. If the rings aren't up for the task then It might only be a slow process of loosing compression over time.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:09 AM
SLOW

Also it's hard to get compression #s to be repeatably the same each time you test it unless you do the exactly the same number of cranks each time, have the block and cylinder head temps exactly the same each time, etc. I was doing compression tests about every day, or every other day, at one point just out of curiosity and the numbers would fluctuate 10 psi or so without the car even having been in boost between the tests.

Quick Reply: VQ30 HP record?