4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another -organized- MEVI vs. 00VI thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:23 PM

Another -organized- MEVI vs. 00VI thread...

I plan on upgrading my IM somewhere down the line, so I figured I better start forming my decision now. There are a few things I didn't really get from the threads here and that I would love to know. Someone please fill me in!

MEVI:
From what I've reading, the greatest thing about the MEVI is that it screams in the 5000+ RPM. This is when the "dynamic forced induction", or pseudo/quasi-supercharger effect comes in. What I still don't understand very well is this "switching" mechanism that activates this. Supposedly you can set a point at which the MEVI switches over to the short runners, but is this an automatic thing, or would you have to flip a switch or something? A lot of people claim to lose a considerable amount of low end power, but this is corrected with an upgraded ECU...

00VI:
Don't know much about the 00VI, except that it seems to be the well-rounded cousin of the MEVI. What is its' strong point - midrange RPMs? Where does it falter when compared to the stock US intake? Does this have a "switching" mechanism as well? Is it user-controlled/set or automatic?

How do these 2 setups compare in overall gains?
How hard are they to install (comparison)?

Thank you all for your time.

-Maurice
Old 11-30-2005, 03:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

What I still don't understand very well is this "switching" mechanism that activates this.......... but is this an automatic thing, or would you have to flip a switch or something?.....
You need to read more.

Supposedly you can set a point at which the MEVI switches over to the short runners
I thought it was dynamic supercharging, and not a new set of runners?

Does this have a "switching" mechanism as well? Is it user-controlled/set or automatic?
Either or, user defined as in the MEVI as well. It's an easy concept, and you should read through some old posts because EVERYTHING asked in this thread is a ...
Search > you.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:33 PM

yes some pleeeeeez explain this, i was just bout to make the same thread..
Old 11-30-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
You need to read more.
I thought it was dynamic supercharging, and not a new set of runners?
Are you sure you're not the one that needs to read more?

It's an easy concept, and you should read through some old posts because EVERYTHING asked in this thread is a ...
Search > you.
I don't think my post was too bad. Most of the time I see your name in a thread, it's usually accompanied by flaming and nothing that actually pertains to the thread's topic. Flame on, flamer!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Are you sure you're not the one that needs to read more?
Positive, below I will answer this as best as I can ...

What I still don't understand very well is this "switching" mechanism that activates this. Supposedly you can set a point at which the MEVI switches over ............. but is this an automatic thing, or would you have to flip a switch or something?
An RPM switch is activated by exactly that, RPM signal. This is obtained, depending on what switch you use, through either the green wire on the coil itself, or the ECU RPM signal wire (white w/ green stripe) this is found by separating the ECU bundle of wires, or simple taking the plastic cover of the dash/gauge cluster off.

The Harlan has been known to give problems, like flaking out and needing a reset. 2 members claim the Harlan is good, but many others dispute and would rather have a Summit switch.

I went through 2 Harlans and ended up with a Summit.

The Harlan needs to be tapped off of the coilpack wire to obtain its RPM signal.

Now that you have (deear God iIhope so) the concept of how an RPM switch works, we can go onto lesson # 2, where the RPM switch sends its signal to activate the actualtor.

So, once you wire everything up, (+12V, GND, RPM signal, Solenoid GND)

Judging from what I typed above regarding the connections, let's see if we can figure out what does what, mmmk?

+12V = Power, w/o it and the switch wont work, same goes for GND, RPM signal will tell the switch what RPM the engine is at, and Solenoid GND will tell the switch when to tell the solenoid to activate.

With me so far?

Ok, on we go....

Now we will explain how the solenoid knows when to open.

So, there are many different types of solenoids and vacuum canisters than can be used. I used the Dawes devices one (old school but it works), and lately most seem to like OEM Nissan, and the NAPA vacuum canister.

The Solenoid

This device is tapped into a simple vacuum port, typically using a T and tapping some vacuum from the IACV or IM (MAP/BARO). This device has 3 ports(mine is the Dawes device, but the concept is the same regardless) One port is to bleed off into the air, no hose connection, the other is connected to the VI actuator, and the last one is connected to the vacuum canister, so that when the RPM is reached the solenoid switches channels, and provides the vacuum stored in the canister to be used to activate the VI .

Electronics behind it.

This piece is connected to the a 12V source AND the RPM switch(Solenoid GND) , so when the correct RPM is reached, it(RPM switch) will provide a GND at that RPM point, so that the solenoid will receive a GND, and since the solenoid already has a +12v source, it will complete the circuit with the provided GND, and activate.

Either that or you can use a toggle switch to activate it whenever you please, but keep in mind, the earlier is not always the best.... This will be learned in later chapters.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

Positive, below I will answer this as best as I can ...

An RPM switch is activated by exactly that, RPM signal. This is obtained, depending on what switch you use, through either the green wire on the coil itself, or the ECU RPM signal wire (white w/ green stripe) this is found by separating the ECU bundle of wires, or simple taking the plastic cover of the dash/gauge cluster off.

The Harlan has been known to give problems, like flaking out and needing a reset. 2 members claim the Harlan is good, but many others dispute and would rather have a Summit switch.

I went through 2 Harlans and ended up with a Summit.

The Harlan needs to be tapped off of the coilpack wire to obtain its RPM signal.

Now that you have (deear God iIhope so) the concept of how an RPM switch works, we can go onto lesson # 2, where the RPM switch sends its signal to activate the actualtor.

So, once you wire everything up, (+12V, GND, RPM signal, Solenoid GND)

Judging from what I typed above regarding the connections, let's see if we can figure out what does what, mmmk?

+12V = Power, w/o it and the switch wont work, same goes for GND, RPM signal will tell the switch what RPM the engine is at, and Solenoid GND will tell the switch when to tell the solenoid to activate.

With me so far?

Ok, on we go....

Now we will explain how the solenoid knows when to open.

So, there are many different types of solenoids and vacuum canisters than can be used. I used the Dawes devices one (old school but it works), and lately most seem to like OEM Nissan, and the NAPA vacuum canister.

The Solenoid

This device is tapped into a simple vacuum port, typically using a T and tapping some vacuum from the IACV or IM (MAP/BARO). This device has 3 ports(mine is the Dawes device, but the concept is the same regardless) One port is to bleed off into the air, no hose connection, the other is connected to the VI actuator, and the last one is connected to the vacuum canister, so that when the RPM is reached the solenoid switches channels, and provides the vacuum stored in the canister to be used to activate the VI .

Electronics behind it.

This piece is connected to the a 12V source AND the RPM switch(Solenoid GND) , so when the correct RPM is reached, it(RPM switch) will provide a GND at that RPM point, so that the solenoid will receive a GND, and since the solenoid already has a +12v source, it will complete the circuit with the provided GND, and activate.

Either that or you can use a toggle switch to activate it whenever you please, but keep in mind, the earlier is not always the best.... This will be learned in later chapters.

NmexMAX Joo!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

How do these 2 setups compare in overall gains?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=424641 Ever read a sticky in the All Motor Forum?

How hard are they to install (comparison)?
MEVI is a bolt on, mediocre can do it. But if you're asking simple questions as you have in the past, even this is nothing to frown at.

00VI, much more involvled and expericen is needed when doing vaccuum lines, drillin LIMs, grinding valve covers etc ...The rest is History .....
Old 11-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Excellent reply, provided you did indeed write it. Sarcasm aside, I just wanted to know the basics, for now, but I truly appreciate the time you took to explain - in detail - the fundamentals of how a VI works. Specifically, I'd like someone to quote my original post and answer the questions in a quote/answer format. Regardless, thank you for your informative contribution!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NmxMax basically summed how it works up. If you have the skills go for the 00VI, but the mevi is still good. I don't have an upgraded ECu, but I still love my mevi. The low end loss is slightly noticable but well worth the extra power on top.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
NmexMAX Joo!!!
As much as I typed, it's still rather crude/vague.. I didn't mention check valves...

And to think that we still need to cover installations, and power advantages.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
NmexMAX Joo!!!
Originally Posted by MaDMvD
Most of the time I see your name in a thread, it's usually accompanied by flaming and nothing that actually pertains to the thread's topic. Flame on, flamer!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Excellent reply, provided you did indeed write it.
:.. No I cut and pasted it ..... Still talking shizat I've had my MEVI since it's USA inception in Spring/Summer of 2002, and I think it's sad that you needed an explanation of something that simple.

Specifically, I'd like someone to quote my original post and answer the questions in a quote/answer format.
Spoon feeding anyone?

The reason I flame, is because unless you spend time in the Advanced Performance Forums, everything here is a
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM

Just to clarify, the MEVI doesn't cause a low-end loss. The loss is in the mid-range, which IMO is even worse.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Just to clarify, the MEVI doesn't cause a low-end loss. The loss is in the mid-range, which IMO is even worse.
so it basically worthless unless u racing on the highway?!?! i dunno...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM

I need to find a happy place
Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

so it basically worthless unless u racing on the highway?!?! i dunno
It basically depends on what RPM you're basically at.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by DrTySOUFMaX23
so it basically worthless unless u racing on the highway?!?! i dunno...
Well it's actually making less HP and TQ than stock until about around 5400-5500 RPM. You can draw your own conclusions.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

so it basically worthless unless u racing on the highway?!?! i dunno
When referring "IT" I'm guessing you mean the MEVI. And no, you don't know.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM

I need to find my happy place as well
Old 11-30-2005, 05:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

I think someone just got a FREE vacation
Old 11-30-2005, 06:25 PM

I normally don't waste my time with low-life douche bags like you, however, you are a special case. First off, who the **** are you and what do you know about me? Talk about clueless - you're a damn waste of oxygen. I wonder how a stupid pile of meat like yourself could even have the oddasity to post such an ignorant, mal-informed comment such as the one you made. Your signature speaks the truth. You don't have the mental capacity to keep your damned mouth shut.

you're a girl?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

And you're 81 years old?

At least you're s0ber.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by s0ber

you're a girl?
I guess so!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:55 PM

Wow! This is retarded...
Old 11-30-2005, 10:01 PM

........ could even have the oddasity to post ..........
audacity

All the info for the MEVI/00VI is out there.

Don't ask to have it spoon fed to you.

this means you too DrTySOUFMaX23
Old 11-30-2005, 10:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

This is an odd post
Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 PM

This is an odd post

Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 PM

rofl... woohoo! vacations are cool!
go sober! im sober too man! just got a year on the 17th and fkin proud of it! ...yeah way off topic, sorry. im just kidding don't give me a vacation!
Old 12-01-2005, 02:04 AM

Riiiight, well, disregarding most of the other stuff, the only advantage the 00VI does not have over the MEVI is ease of installation. The MEVI will lose a little low end and quite a bit of midrange torque, but will gain an incredible amount of high-end torque (and peak power). The 00VI doesn't really lose any torque anywhere in the rev range, in fact it even adds torque over the entire thing IIRC.

The MEVI is basically bolt-on, with minimal modification required.

I'd like to have an 00VI too someday, but I still have some reading up to do as well.

Nice to see a girl interested in some go-fast stuff, even if she does drive an auto.

P.S. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=424641
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

ok kids.. enough here.. and MaDMvD most of your answers are in the FAQ of this or the advanced performance forum.

AsthmaMax11- this is your 1st and last warning. You could have taken NmexMAX's approach, but you wanted to be an a$$, not a smart a$$. DO NOT do that BS again.