5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Infinity I30 cranks but does not start

Old 11-04-2005, 11:13 AM

2000 Infiniti I30 cranks but does not start

I was on my way out for lunch while at work when I tried to start my 2000 Infiniti I30. It cranked well, but didn't start. The car has 114K miles, and I just bought it last weekend.

After trying to start it 10 times or so, I let it sit for a few minutes. I tried it again, and it started right up, and ran fine.

Am I due to for a fuel filter replacement? Any other ideas?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:04 PM

spark plugs and a tune up are in order.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
spark plugs and a tune up are in order.
I appreciate the reply, but that really doesn't help. The car would struggle to start if it was getting spark on most cylinders. It only cranked well, didn't have any combustion.

I bought a fuel filter and was going to replace it tonight, but I hit a snag. I got the fuel pump assembly out but didn't see a filter, so I put it back in. A little more searching and I see that it IS in there, but damned if I know how to get it out! Any suggestions?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Yes, fuel filter can be replaced but it's not worth the effort IMO. (Other orgers disagree on this.)
Old 11-04-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by paralyse
Fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Yes, fuel filter can be replaced but it's not worth the effort IMO. (Other orgers disagree on this.)
Is it a common failure for the fuel pump to go out on these cars? Where exactly is the fuel filter located, I am getting mixed answers. Some say it is on the firewall in the engine bay, others are pointing at it being in the tank. I'm so confused, and it sucks buying a new car only to have problems a week later

After I put everything back together, it started right up on the first attempt. Intermittent problems suck.

edit: well, according to Auto Zone's online tool, the 2000 and 2001 have a fuel filter in the engine bay, the 2002 has the filter in the fuel pump housing. Is there a picture of the fuel filter in the 2000 model somewhere?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:24 PM

If you change the fuel pump or fuel filter and the problem persist, check the distributor..
Old 11-05-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by bookechu
If you change the fuel pump or fuel filter and the problem persist, check the distributor..

There is NO distributor on the VQ30.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the key?

(Old school trick if it is flooded... hold the pedal to the floor to open the TB and allow additional air in. This will not hurt EFI cars and might be worth the try.) I would also suggest getting a scan tool on it to see if you get any diagnostic codes. An check engine lights on the dash?

HTH,
Travis
Old 11-05-2005, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE

There is NO distributor on the VQ30.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the key?

(Old school trick if it is flooded... hold the pedal to the floor to open the TB and allow additional air in. This will not hurt EFI cars and might be worth the try.) I would also suggest getting a scan tool on it to see if you get any diagnostic codes. An check engine lights on the dash?

HTH,
Travis
Nope, no check engine light/codes. I am hoping it was just a fluke, but I have a feeling it'll be back eventually. Maybe shaking up the fuel pump assembly like I did will help for a while. I couldn't tell if the fuel pump was running or not (these cars are well insulated), but I'll check it next time.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE
(Old school trick if it is flooded... hold the pedal to the floor to open the TB and allow additional air in. This will not hurt EFI cars and might be worth the try.)

that wont work. WOT during cranking puts the car into clear flood mode, injectors dont fire.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
that wont work. WOT during cranking puts the car into clear flood mode, injectors dont fire.
Gotcha....noted. sorry about the misinfo...
Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

How can you own this car and not know how to spell it's name?

INFINITI
Old 11-06-2005, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
How can you own this car and not know how to spell it's name?

INFINITI
Gah, I do it all the time. I've only had the car a week, that's my excuse.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 PM

Update: took the car to Advance today and checked the charging/battery, both look fine. Found out that there is no in-line fuel filter, only the one in the tank. Car has started every time so far since the incident, however there have been a couple of times where the starter seemed to cut out for a split second.

Is there anything more aggrevating than spending the most money you ever have on a car and then finding out that there are problems? My 92 Supra hasn't given me this much grief in 2 years of ownership!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nocheez, if your funds allow, you may just want to go ahead and replace the fuel pump. At your mileage, it wouldn't surprise me if it was starting to show signs of failure. You mentioned a starter hiccup, so keep an eye on that as well.

I know how you feel about buying a new-to-you car only to have issues a short time after. I just purchased my '02 I35 4 days ago. It has that wonderful cold start rattle, two of them really. What sounds like VTC AND timing chain. Anyway, my point is you will find the problem, and I'm sure you will enjoy your Infiniti for years to come.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words. I wanted a more reliable daily driver and figured that a 2000 Infinity would be a good choice, even with over 100K miles. It's in really nice shape, too.

I almost wish it would just break down and save me the trouble of tossing parts at it. I'm sure the starter will need replacing eventually, so I may just pre-empt that and get it over with. The fuel pump took me less than 20 minutes to get out, so I wouldn't mind replacing that if I could get another one cheap.

I think I'm going to check the plugs when I'm back in Ohio and have access to more tools (and my dad ). That might help out a bit.

Thanks again, it really helped to hear some positive words when it's been a negative situation.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:37 PM

my friend had a problem with his car not starting once, and this guy got underthere with a mallet and after a few pounds the car started right up. something about a line getting frozen when it gets cold which keeps it from turning over.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by DJ2Max
my friend had a problem with his car not starting once, and this guy got underthere with a mallet and after a few pounds the car started right up. something about a line getting frozen when it gets cold which keeps it from turning over.
It's nowhere near cold out. In fact, it's been 80 degrees for a week.