4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing chain tensioner replacement

Old 03-11-2003, 02:08 PM

Timing chain tensioner replacement

How many people have done it?
And what kind of job is it?
Does one need to replace only the plunger or the hole kit?
Old 03-11-2003, 02:57 PM

This is a TSB

...at least for my car.

Mine had that rattling sound a bit last summer (exist only for 3 starts after that it's dead silent ever since *knock on wood*), which prompted me to go to Nissan dealer.

The service manager ran my VIN and there is a Technical Service Bulletion for it (something that might result in failure, not a recall, we only pay a small fee to get it done, else is charged to Nissan) for US$ 150. That will replace the tensioner and guides, but not the whole thing (US$ 1000).

Since the noise went away, I did not do the TSB.

Try asking your Nissan dealership to run your VIN and ask for Timing Chain Tensioner TSB.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: This is a TSB

Originally posted by ardika
...at least for my car.

Mine had that rattling sound a bit last summer (exist only for 3 starts after that it's dead silent ever since *knock on wood*), which prompted me to go to Nissan dealer.

The service manager ran my VIN and there is a Technical Service Bulletion for it (something that might result in failure, not a recall, we only pay a small fee to get it done, else is charged to Nissan) for US$ 150. That will replace the tensioner and guides, but not the whole thing (US$ 1000).

Try asking your Nissan dealership to run your VIN and ask for Timing Chain Tensioner TSB.
If it is a TSB for only certain years, then what year is your car?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 03-11-2003, 03:55 PM

Re: Re: This is a TSB

Correct.

Mine is 1997, date of manufacture is 12/96 (hence I don't get free alternator).

Originally posted by White96MaxSE

If it is a TSB for only certain years, then what year is your car?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 03-11-2003, 05:03 PM

If I'm not covered by any TSB or Nissan Warranty (which is likely since I have 202,000 miles on my car), then how much would it cost to have a competent mechanic replace just the timing chain tensioner and install the updated one?

Anybody just have that done?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 03-11-2003, 06:08 PM
The original VQ...

Do you guys think getting this done would make my valves and my motor run quieter. I seems like the timing need to be set or something be cause my vales or something tick alot, how much does this go for?
Old 03-11-2003, 10:29 PM

Good question.

White96MaxSE,

TSB should cover your car (mine is at 130k myself, and it happened when it was at 114k) regardless of mileage/year.

If you are not covered with TSB (which I find hard to believe), it probably cost you around US$ 500k without replacing the chain and guides. If you want to change the guides/chains everything it will cost around US 1000.

Make sure you find a very knowledgeable mechanic though. Otherwise, man.... you are probably looking at a new engine. Speaking of which, if you check the General/4th Gen Forum, there is one guy who could get a brand new engine for US$ 400 shipped (cost around US$ 500 to install).

So, I think it would be better off with the new engine rather than changing the chains/guides/tensioners.

If I'm not covered by any TSB or Nissan Warranty (which is likely since I have 202,000 miles on my car), then how much would it cost to have a competent mechanic replace just the timing chain tensioner and install the updated one?

Anybody just have that done?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 03-12-2003, 08:58 PM

Re: Good question.

White96MaxSE,

TSB should cover your car (mine is at 130k myself, and it happened when it was at 114k) regardless of mileage/year.

If you are not covered with TSB (which I find hard to believe), it probably cost you around US$ 500k without replacing the chain and guides. If you want to change the guides/chains everything it will cost around US 1000.

Make sure you find a very knowledgeable mechanic though. Otherwise, man.... you are probably looking at a new engine. Speaking of which, if you check the General/4th Gen Forum, there is one guy who could get a brand new engine for US$ 400 shipped (cost around US$ 500 to install).

So, I think it would be better off with the new engine rather than changing the chains/guides/tensioners.

Ardika;

My engine seems to be in the very early stages of having problems with the timing chain tensioner (otherwise my engine runs like new at 202,000 miles).

I have always used original Nissan oil filters so the problem doesn't arise from the pressure relieve valve of an inferior oil filter.

I will hear noise for a couple of seconds only sometimes when I let the car sit for over 15 hours or so in cold weather in the garage that I can recall. It appeared this winter for the first time.

Now that the weather is moving into spring, the timing chain noise has stopped being a problem.

Previously, I have read on the org of the fact that the timing chain tensioner in the 95-96 Maximas being prone to failure, but that they redesigned this in the later 4th generation cars, and if you have it repaired then they would replace it with the newly designed timing chain tensioner.

Some have described this as a three stage problem. The first stage (the one I'm in now) is intermittent noise for a couple of seconds at initial startup of the day only. It has been described as nothing to be concerned about.

Second Stage has been described as when the noise continues until the engine is warmed up.

Third stage (definitely a bad situation) is when it the timing chain tensioner never pumps up with oil and the chain is loose all of the time. I would agree at this stage with the cost of used junk yard motors it would probably be best to swap in another engine.

My question is whether or not I can have someone replace the timing chain tensioner while I am in Stage One of the problem, and do this inexpensively without changing the guides or or timing chains.

(I might add that I talked to my local dealer and they said that a technical service bulletin (tsb) was just a bulletin for the dealer and did not necessarily mean that Nissan would pay for a repair. In this case they said no way with 202,000 miles on my Max.) Does anyone think I should talk to another Nissan dealer about this or go directly to Nissan themselves?

(I just re-read your post and you think 500.00 for just the timing chain tensioner? Ouch, Is that from the dealer?)

I'm glad I'm still in Stage One!!!!

That is the work I would like to have performed for a fee from a competent mechanic. Given the skill level needed to do this a low-mileage Maxima VQ might be something I should invest in and put it in the garage for when it is needed.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Now, look here at a possible solution I found.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hain+tensioner

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 03-13-2003, 04:04 AM

White96MaxSE

If you have small hands and patiences you can replace it yourself by removing the passenger side engine mount. Then remove the accesss panel and just replace the tensioner. ( I heard of one person doing it.)

I replaced mine when I replaced my clutch. Took the engine right of the mounts and shifted it over 8". I was going to replace the chain and guides but I could not take the main pulley off ( the first thing you should do)and I was runninng out of time so I just replaced the tennioner and it runs fine. ( may change the chain later)

If you are in the early stages try an engine flush it may help temporarily. I was at stage 2.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:37 AM

Re: Re: Good question.

Whitemax96SE,

Here is another solution that "may" cure your problem temporarily. Try to use a heavier oil (but don't exceed 10w30) and put some more into the block (usually it's 4.4 quart, but now pour 4.7 or so) whenever you change the oil and oil filter.

The TSB should cover your car, if your car's VIN is included. Period. It applies to specific Nissan vehicles (identified by VIN), and mine (97 GXE with 114k at that time) is included. The normal charge is US$ 500 including parts and labor, but because my car is included in the TSB, it's "only" US$ 150.

The dealer gave me a print out of the TSB and I received the paper. Unfortunately, I could not find the print out when I was searching through my Max documents. I will try again tonight, and if I could get a hold of this, I will fax it to you. Another thing that I could do is to ask the dealer to send me another one.

Try another Nissan dealer and give me a few days to find that paper. Man, I know it's somewhere here...
Old 03-13-2003, 09:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Good question.

Whitemax96SE,

Here is another solution that "may" cure your problem temporarily. Try to use a heavier oil (but don't exceed 10w30) and put some more into the block (usually it's 4.4 quart, but now pour 4.7 or so) whenever you change the oil and oil filter.

The TSB should cover your car, if your car's VIN is included. Period. It applies to specific Nissan vehicles (identified by VIN), and mine (97 GXE with 114k at that time) is included. The normal charge is US$ 500 including parts and labor, but because my car is included in the TSB, it's "only" US$ 150.

The dealer gave me a print out of the TSB and I received the paper. Unfortunately, I could not find the print out when I was searching through my Max documents. I will try again tonight, and if I could get a hold of this, I will fax it to you. Another thing that I could do is to ask the dealer to send me another one.

Try another Nissan dealer and give me a few days to find that paper. Man, I know it's somewhere here...

Ardika;

I am running 10W30 right now (always have used that weight of oil)

I think I will try two other dealers in my area to see what they say about the TSB you describe.

I would like to have the document you speak of, but I don't have a fax machine. Is it possible that I can have you send it (if you find it) to like a local Kinkos Copy Center and then go pick it up?

I guess if you can't find it maybe someone else has it and can scan it or someone knows the TSB Number for the Timing Chain Tensioner.

In any event thanks a lot for you input and your help on this one.

It may take a little while to get to the bottom of this, but it is worth a look into if it would save 350.00.

Anybody have or know about the TSB if Ardika isn't able to find his copy?

Thanks again, Ardika for your help.

White96MaxSE
Old 03-13-2003, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good question.

Whitemax96 SE,

Worst come to worst, I'll call the dealer and give them my VIN number. If they are able to give me the# of the TSB or something, I'll forward them to you.

If you don't have a fax machine, we could always go snail mail. I'll let you know as soon as I talk with the Service Manager. I just contacted a Nissan dealership in Milwaukee, and they don't know (or don't want to know) about the TSB on tensioner. I will contact my old dealer (the one in Madison, WI not in Milwaukee, WI) and have them forward the documentation.

Stay put.

Armand

Ardika;

I am running 10W30 right now (always have used that weight of oil)

I think I will try two other dealers in my area to see what they say about the TSB you describe.

I would like to have the document you speak of, but I don't have a fax machine. Is it possible that I can have you send it (if you find it) to like a local Kinkos Copy Center and then go pick it up?

I guess if you can't find it maybe someone else has it and can scan it or someone knows the TSB Number for the Timing Chain Tensioner.

In any event thanks a lot for you input and your help on this one.

It may take a little while to get to the bottom of this, but it is worth a look into if it would save 350.00.

Anybody have or know about the TSB if Ardika isn't able to find his copy?

Thanks again, Ardika for your help.

White96MaxSE
Old 03-13-2003, 12:49 PM

TSB: I got them right here but....

Whitemax96SE,

Here ya go!

Classification: EM00-003
Reference : NTB00-054
Date : June 19, 2002

Applied Vehicle :1997-1999 Maxima VQ30
Applied VIN : Before JN1CA31D1YT746029
Applied Date : Before December 12, 1999
Applied Enginer : Before VQ30-192142 Refer to Service Comm

The bad news is, perhaps your car is not covered since it's 1996. However, the TSB said this applies to VIN before the numbers above, and your should be included.

I could make a copy of the TSB and snail mail it to you, no problem. Let me know your address and it should be on its way.

Armand
Old 03-13-2003, 01:08 PM

Re: TSB: I got them right here but....

Whitemax96SE,

Here ya go!

The bad news is, perhaps your car is not covered since it's 1996. However, the TSB said this applies to VIN before the numbers above, and your should be included.

I could make a copy of the TSB and snail mail it to you, no problem. Let me know your address and it should be on its way.

Armand
Thanks for the information, Armand.

I have sent you my mailing address via PM.

I sure do appreciate your sending me a copy of the TSB!

White96MaxSE
Old 03-13-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: TSB: I got them right here but....

Joel,

I got it. I just dropped it off at the shipping dept. It will go regular air mail, let me know if you don't have it by Wednesday next week.

Armand

Thanks for the information, Armand.

I have sent you my mailing address via PM.

I sure do appreciate your sending me a copy of the TSB!

White96MaxSE
Old 03-13-2003, 02:45 PM

All TSBs can be found here.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/
Old 03-13-2003, 06:47 PM

Tensioner?

Does anyone know if the tensioner is sold by it self, or does it come with the chain guide and the whole kit?
I think I just found my next weekend project, I'm in stage 1.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:22 PM

Re: Tensioner?

Originally posted by MarcGXE95
Does anyone know if the tensioner is sold by it self, or does it come with the chain guide and the whole kit?
I think I just found my next weekend project, I'm in stage 1.
Hey MarcGXE95;

I called Nissan Customer Affairs about the TSB and it doesn't apply to my VIN number, in fact it does apply to only 1997-1999 cars!!

I'm like you I'm leaning toward just opening up that access hole on the timing chain cover and replacing the timing chain tensioner itself.

The link below will take you to a thread where 95bluse kindly describes the procedure to replace just the tensioner. He mentions "Chain guide SLA" kit Part Number 13091-31U26 which is not expensive and has the tensioner and a timing chain guide (that you can't use for now). Check it out here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...chain+tensioner

If anyone has already done this fix and has additional hints or tips please let us know before we attempt this. MarcGXE95 and myself would certainly appreciate it. MarcGXE95, If you do get this done before me please post your progress up here for us to learn from.

If we address this in Stage 1, then we could all save a boat load of pain and money, and it may be a simple fix similar to the knock sensor deal which turned out to be a fifteen minute fix after everybody put their heads together and learned from each other's mistakes and came up with creative approaches to the repair.

Hey Maxger, Did you read 95bluse's writeup and see anything you might add to his instructions for replacing the timing chain tensioner itself?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 03-14-2003, 04:35 AM

Hello White96MaxSE

The link does not seem to open for me. But when I replaced mine I replaced the tensioner itself. You can get it in the timing chain kit or you can get the tensioner separately.

The hardest thing to do is to push the plunger back in and then remove the tensioner. I even had an additional 6 to 8" of space to get at it but I could not do it So I removed the tensioner the plunger under spring tension. When I removed the assembly the plunger and spring shot down deep inside the chain cover. My heart just dropped. So I went to the local auto/hardware store and pick up a teleoscopic magnet.

Took me 5 mins to get the two parts out THANK GOD. (Best $5 bucks I ever spent) So remmeber when you do remove it remember the plunger is free to move.

It will not be easy to remove it but it will save you a lot of money for sure ( $500). I will try the link again.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by maxger
Hello White96MaxSE

The link does not seem to open for me. But when I replaced mine I replaced the tensioner itself. You can get it in the timing chain kit or you can get the tensioner separately.

The hardest thing to do is to push the plunger back in and then remove the tensioner. I even had an additional 6 to 8" of space to get at it but I could not do it So I removed the tensioner the plunger under spring tension. When I removed the assembly the plunger and spring shot down deep inside the chain cover. My heart just dropped. So I went to the local auto/hardware store and pick up a teleoscopic magnet.

Took me 5 mins to get the two parts out THANK GOD. (Best $5 bucks I ever spent) So remmeber when you do remove it remember the plunger is free to move.

It will not be easy to remove it but it will save you a lot of money for sure ( $500). I will try the link again.
Thinking about the removal of the tensioner and plunger made me wonder a couple of things:

1. If you loosen the bolts that hold the tensioner in there wouldn't some of the oil drain out and lower the tension on the plunger eventually?

2. What if you used some braided twine say about 8 inches long and attach one piece to the tensioner and the other to the plunger piston so that when you remove the two 10 mm bolts and they spring out as the tension on the chain guide is relieved that you have the two parts on the end of the twine, and you don't have to go fishing for the parts at the bottom of the timing chain cover with the magnetic tool?

Anybody want to agree or disagree with these two ideas?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 03-15-2003, 05:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: TSB: I got them right here but....

Joel,

I got it. I just dropped it off at the shipping dept. It will go regular air mail, let me know if you don't have it by Wednesday next week.

Armand

Ardika;

What quick mail service!!!

I got the copy of the TSB you sent to me today (Saturday) in the mail.

Thanks a bunch for sending it.

I am talking to Nissan Customer Affairs in Gardena, California and my local Nissan Dealer's service manager about what I can do about the timing chain tensioner noise at my first start of the day, but get this, it hasn't made the noise for like four days in a row now that the weather is warmer!

Thanks Ardika,

White96MaxSE

White96MaxSE
Old 03-16-2003, 06:59 AM

I'll try to keep you guys updated!

I should be doing the job in a week or two.
Wish me luck!
Old 03-16-2003, 10:56 AM

Re: I'll try to keep you guys updated!

Originally posted by MarcGXE95
I should be doing the job in a week or two.
Wish me luck!
I do wish you luck, and keep detailed notes!

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 03-17-2003, 07:54 AM

Hey guys, I have a 98 SE and I had that same sound coming from my car about 2 years ago when I had about 40K miles. Same symptoms, first start up of the day but only for about a second. It only did like 3 or 4 times and I haven't heart it but maybe once since then. It also looks like I fall within those VIN # to. I didn't think those bullatons help the constumer in any way though. I called about my rear brakes sticking and making a humming noise and there is a TSB on that and I called Nissan and the dealer and neither was willing to pay for repairs. So does it just depend on the dealer or what?
Old 03-19-2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by maxger
Hello White96MaxSE

Where can you buy the kit and/or the plunger from?
Old 03-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 96 SE has this very same issue, except it falls outside of the TSB VIN range! I'm working with Nissan of North America on the issue too...

Old 03-19-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by MyGray96SE
My 96 SE has this very same issue, except it falls outside of the TSB VIN range! I'm working with Nissan of North America on the issue too...

The closest Nissan Dealer needs me to bring the car in to see if they can duplicate it (it takes overnight, but it only occurs right now once in the last 5 days, and only for 2-4 seconds at first start of the day).

Honestly, I don't like taking my car to the dealer for them to keep my car. I have had too many bad experiences in the past with this arrangement (not necessarily Nissan, but dealers in general) so I discussed this with Nissan Consumer Affairs and they told me that I could wait until it got a little worse before calling back and reopening the case (they also stated that it was a little out of warranty (I'm at 202,000 miles), but I may still bring it up again unless I just buy the tensioner and do it myself once we here on the .org figure out the right way to approach this and we get some more feedback from those that complete the project.

White96MaxSE
Old 03-20-2003, 08:30 AM

The closest Nissan Dealer needs me to bring the car in to see if they can duplicate it (it takes overnight, but it only occurs right now once in the last 5 days, and only for 2-4 seconds at first start of the day).

Honestly, I don't like taking my car to the dealer for them to keep my car. I have had too many bad experiences in the past with this arrangement (not necessarily Nissan, but dealers in general) so I discussed this with Nissan Consumer Affairs and they told me that I could wait until it got a little worse before calling back and reopening the case (they also stated that it was a little out of warranty (I'm at 202,000 miles), but I may still bring it up again unless I just buy the tensioner and do it myself once we here on the .org figure out the right way to approach this and we get some more feedback from those that complete the project.

White96MaxSE

I went to the Nissan dealership here and told them about the TSB issued on the timing belt tensioner. I inquired how much would it cost to have it replaced. They told me that it was $79.84 for the part and about $880.00 for the labor.
I told them that I thought that if there was a TSB issued that they were supposed to fix it for free. They told me no. The TSB is simply just that. It tells them how to fix it. They said that they would only replace it for free if there had been a recall on the part.

What is the number for Nissan Consumer Affairs? Did they say it was free to replace it?

DMaximus
Old 03-20-2003, 09:01 AM

The dealer is correct a TSB is not a recall. It is simply a way to fix an issue.

The number for nissan is 800-nissan1 They will tell you the exact same thing though.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:07 PM

I was quoted for US$ 150 plus tax. It should take around 2 hours or less, plus parts.

Originally posted by 95Max
The dealer is correct a TSB is not a recall. It is simply a way to fix an issue.

The number for nissan is 800-nissan1 They will tell you the exact same thing though.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:21 PM

There is this TSB for 95-96 Maxes, but I don't know if they will help us with the costs involved. Here is a link to the PDF from the TSB website listed earlier:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/TSBScans/sb613975.pdf
Old 03-20-2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by DMaximus
DMaximus

I went to the Nissan dealership here and told them about the TSB issued on the timing belt tensioner. I inquired how much would it cost to have it replaced. They told me that it was $79.84 for the part and about $880.00 for the labor.
I told them that I thought that if there was a TSB issued that they were supposed to fix it for free. They told me no. The TSB is simply just that. It tells them how to fix it. They said that they would only replace it for free if there had been a recall on the part.

What is the number for Nissan Consumer Affairs? Did they say it was free to replace it?

Nissan Consumer Affairs:

Nissan Consumer Affairs has not stated outright that they wouldn't assist in repairing the problem. I mentioned to them that it was my understanding the the timing chain tensioner was redesigned in later models of the Maxima, and that I had heard that it was recommended that the timing chain tensioner be replaced with the updated timing chain tensioner in the 1995-1996 models.

To me that seems to indicate some kind of "recall on the part itself". I think Nissan should cover this poor design of their timing chain tensioner, but I haven't continued to pursue this with Nissan Consumer Affairs because of mine being very intermittent lately. I just got done letting my car sit without starting it for 36 hours and when I started it this morning it didn't make the noise at all!

White96MaxSE
Old 03-22-2003, 09:01 PM

timing chain tensioner

sup guys.. got a 96 max with 136,000 miles on it... dont really notice this sound u guys talking about... but could u explain to me how it sounds like... and wat are the 3 stages of this problem???
Old 03-28-2003, 12:09 AM

Re: This is a TSB

...at least for my car.

I think that my 95 Maxima has this problem. How do you characterize the noise that comes from the alternator area? Is it a high-pitch squealing sound?
Old 03-28-2003, 04:48 PM

Re: Re: This is a TSB

Originally posted by MaxLimits

I think that my 95 Maxima has this problem. How do you characterize the noise that comes from the alternator area? Is it a high-pitch squealing sound?
My Opinion on:

High pitched squeal coming from the alternator area sounds like either adjustment of serpentine belt or air conditioner belt, or a failing alternator.

This sounds like a separate issue from the Timing Chain Tensioner problem.

White96MaxSE
Old 02-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ardika
Whitemax96SE,

Here ya go!

Armand

Guys, my Timing chain tensioner is about dead, and after readin this it appears that i may qualify for the TSB.

I don't now how to decode the vin to see if it falls before or after the previously listed vin, can someone help me out? Hopefully i do qualify for this TSB.

My car was manufactured in 12/1998 and the vin is JN1CA21D9XT816482

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bump ^ 4 me

edit: I went to the nissan $tealer$hip and they told me that they had to run a work order and sharge me a minimum of 29bucks to see if my vin number is covered or not...
Old 02-06-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by SmoothBlack
bump ^ 4 me

edit: I went to the nissan $tealer$hip and they told me that they had to run a work order and sharge me a minimum of 29bucks to see if my vin number is covered or not...
What the ............!@???
What a ripoff..

Change dealer.