4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how do i clean the egr valve tubes?

Old 03-30-2004, 05:08 PM

how do i clean the egr valve tubes?

how do i clean the egr valve tubes? and if cleaning the tubes doesnt fix my problems (CEL on for egr valve and 2 o2 sensors resulting in power loss, high idle and jerky acceleration) how easy is it to clean and/or replace the egr valve. I talked to the infiniti dealer and they said they had only ever sold two egr valves, and my problem was probably with the egr tubes needing to be cleaned. They want to charge 90 per hour for 5 hours! I am sure it would take a competent mechanic an hour or less to do this. I am not that competent, but I would like to try it myself first....anypne have instructions? thanks!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:17 PM

i just changed my egr solenoid valve and cleaned the tubes.(also regapped spark plugs) took me less that 45 mins. now my CEL is gone and car is seeing much better milage. i jus spent the day driving around southbeach and i had a good time without lookin at my gas meter gauge. hardest part for me was takin those fawkin tubes off the egr valve i thought they were melted on there but a lil dubya D40 and it came off with the twist while u pull method. on a scale of 1-5 difficulty i gave it a 1.7 on the noobie scale. Good luck man i hope everything works out.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:37 PM

re egr valve

thanks fro responding to my question! I was wondering if you could give me more detailed info however....where is the egr valve exactly? I need to remove the intake first to get to it correct? what product should I use to clean the tubes? Also, am I looking for a clog pr just oil and dirt? Any more info would be greatly appreciated! thanks for your time and input! justin
Old 03-31-2004, 02:25 PM

bump.......
Old 03-31-2004, 04:38 PM

egr vave is right by the tranny dipstick and it has a green harness attached to it, its right next to the dipstick. 1st use a wrench or somethin to remove the washer holding the egr valve then pull off the harness and the tubes. im not sure what you would use to clean the valve since i replaces mine but i cleaned the tube with some extra throttle body cleaner i had. i just sprayed in the tube since it evaporates after about 3 mins conact. its a very easy job in general. depending on your intake you ay have to remove it to have some room. i have injen style intake so i had some extra room to work. good luck hopefully everything goes ok.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:39 PM

cool thanks man!
Old 04-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by Magikone69
egr vave is right by the tranny dipstick and it has a green harness attached to it, its right next to the dipstick. 1st use a wrench or somethin to remove the washer holding the egr valve then pull off the harness and the tubes. im not sure what you would use to clean the valve since i replaces mine but i cleaned the tube with some extra throttle body cleaner i had. i just sprayed in the tube since it evaporates after about 3 mins conact. its a very easy job in general. depending on your intake you ay have to remove it to have some room. i have injen style intake so i had some extra room to work. good luck hopefully everything goes ok.
you were able to do this without removing your engine intake ? i have egr cel too
Old 04-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Old Maxima Legend

this site used to have pics ?
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Old 04-01-2004, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
you were able to do this without removing your engine intake ? i have egr cel too
yep, intake did get in the way a lil, but nothing to where it was preventing me from doing the job. i did have to detach the tubes going to the intake to get a lil more room. i didnt want to remove intake cause i didnt have alot of time to move all sortsa s#it around. the egr valve is right by the tranny dipstick you cant miss it. on the driver side of the engine green harness. i replaced mine a couple days ago and CEL/codes havent come up since. good luck guys.

****just wanted to add, the replacement of my egr solenoid valve is from my CEL code 1005. i recieved info from a fellow ORGer and he helped me find where it is. if you are having the same 1005 code than this might be your sollution. if you are having another problem i might not be able to help with my instructions. good luck to everyone attepmpting this.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:13 PM

im happy someone finally got help with this. i asked about the egr a week or so ago, and didnt get any help. Good job with your EGR, im gonna be tackling this project tomorrow, or over the weekend sometime. My front o2 sensor is giving a code, even though its got less than 1000k on it. 0136. So I hope its just the egr. thanks for all who responded
Old 04-01-2004, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by eckohb
im happy someone finally got help with this. i asked about the egr a week or so ago, and didnt get any help. Good job with your EGR, im gonna be tackling this project tomorrow, or over the weekend sometime. My front o2 sensor is giving a code, even though its got less than 1000k on it. 0136. So I hope its just the egr. thanks for all who responded
my egr code was 1005. i replaced the egr solenoid valve which cost 85 bux for a small piece of plastic which costs like 3 bux to manufacture(thanx nissan stealership ) and after replacing the valve my cel has been off and ive got 0 codes since. if you recieved the same code i suggest you replace yours also, my MPG has shot up and i feel like im getting at least 5 more miles per gallon ( well i regapped my plugs also so i guess that coulda helped too ) but my car feels alot better now.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:31 AM

my 0136 code was the o2 sensor, i also got the EGR malfunction code. Im assuming the o2 sensor code is because of the egr malfunctioning.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I also have had this code (1005) for a while without being able to repair it. I bought a new solenoid from the dealership and installed and the code is still there. I haven't cleaned my Valve hoses yet however. I am thinking this might be the problem but am curious as to why the code is for the solenoid???
Old 04-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by tynant
how do i clean the egr valve tubes? and if cleaning the tubes doesnt fix my problems (CEL on for egr valve and 2 o2 sensors resulting in power loss, high idle and jerky acceleration) how easy is it to clean and/or replace the egr valve. I talked to the infiniti dealer and they said they had only ever sold two egr valves, and my problem was probably with the egr tubes needing to be cleaned. They want to charge 90 per hour for 5 hours! I am sure it would take a competent mechanic an hour or less to do this. I am not that competent, but I would like to try it myself first....anypne have instructions? thanks!
take this with a grain of salt, but for people who like to go to the track a clogged egr is actually better, with the things you are saying i would replace o2's and do a tune up. to my knowledge a clogged egr will not hurt your performance but actually help. again im not a mechanic not even close !
Old 04-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
That site shows the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve)... Not the EGR... The EGR is located just below the IACV.

The EGR is used to control combustion temps. By recirculating exhausted gasses, you introduce unburnable air into the system. Therefore your stoich errs on the rich side = cooler combustion temps. Cooler combustion temps help eliminate NOx emmisions.

The valve in that link that he refers to is the IACV. It keeps your idle even and smooth when the engine is cold and when it's warm and other things like the power steering pump, cooling fans, air conditioning etc. add load to the motor.

Hope this helps....
Old 04-04-2004, 04:15 PM

im getting my egr tubes cleaned and what not for 195 tomorrow at the stealership. i would do it myself, but ive been lazy lately, so ill just have it done at nissan, ripoff or not. Hopefully my performance goes back up, its been really sluggish, and gas has been horrible lately.