Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Eclipse CD8443- receivers questions

Old 01-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Eclipse CD8443- receivers questions

Considering purchasing this CD player ......Eclipse's website does not elaborate much on specs...... and features (as opposed to Alpine)
Perks:
Balanced outputs
8V low impedance outputs

All digital circuitry

STAR DSP (newly designed Digital Signal Processor)

24-bit advanced multi-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter

CD-R/CD-RW compatibility

MP3 playback using optional ECLIPSE Commander Advance

Full dot VF display

Power tilting front panel

Digital input

Auxiliary input
Remote Controller 1802 (optional)

Time alignment

Wondering if any have any experience with this model (or CD8053)
For the price (it should) have EQ settings and such?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:23 PM

I have the CD8443, if your going to choose between this and the 8053, the 8443 will work just fine for 95% of the people out there. You'll have to purchase the balances line adapter as well so the diff between the two is $150-200 for very little diff. The 8053 just has balacned lines, and a better remote.

The 8443 has enough features to make your head spin & then some. Its got and EQ alright, its 10point adjustable but the points at which you can adjust them are whatver you choose. Its not just 10 preset frequencies, you can adjust any 10 points you want. It has a Pro mode and a normal mode that makes it more idiot proof so to speak but you the adjustments in pro mode are more accurate & precise.
Get the 1802 remote, I already lost my small one It IS capable of playing MP3's but you need the commander, which also comes with a voice activation feature

The Eclipse looks sick as hell when lit up. Its got crossover control and all that stuff. Its going to take a week or two to get used to it, the only hard part is NOT playing with it when driving.

Like I said, its got more features then you'll know what to do with. Its a bad@ss deck

If you have any other questions...just be more specific.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:46 PM

i agree with Hitman also. 8443 is one of the nice hu. I used to have the 3413 model, i didn't really like it. Don talked me into the 8443, i really liked it so far. Can't go wrong with eclipse.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:34 AM

Nice...i figured i'd save $$$ compared to the 8053 and was hoping to get similar performance (or near equal) I've heard/seen the 8053 in an org members
car(Mist6sp03)- and the time alignment feature really got me....definitly IMO nicest looking unit(s) out there...
plus theres an AUX input (PRo!) in case I want to
play with the labtop...

So i'll definitly make the switch...(have owned 3 Alpine units in the past)
Old 01-30-2004, 06:30 PM

One thing you'll notice though is that the pre-outs actually hold a TRUE 8v, unlike alipine which "claims" to have 4v but actually drops to 1.7v be4 the HU clips at 31.

The 8443 is a bad @ss HU, I was planning on getting the 8053 but was told the 8443 is more then enough...thats an understatment.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:40 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by HitManSE
One thing you'll notice though is that the pre-outs actually hold a TRUE 8v, unlike alipine which "claims" to have 4v but actually drops to 1.7v be4 the HU clips at 31.

The 8443 is a bad @ss HU, I was planning on getting the 8053 but was told the 8443 is more then enough...thats an understatment.

The main benefit of the 8053 is the balanced 16 volt, in which case it is something that 90% of people dont need. Also when doing it the balnced line adaptor as well as 6 sets of additional RCAs are needed. I tell the majority of my customers to stick with the 8443 as it is more than enough for them.

--Don
Old 01-30-2004, 08:45 PM

If I were to step up to a 8053, id rather wait a bit longer and get myself a 8022
Btw- Don, when are the next gen Eclipse HU's supposed to come out anyway?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:58 PM

If I were to step up to a 8053, id rather wait a bit longer and get myself a 8022
Btw- Don, when are the next gen Eclipse HU's supposed to come out anyway?
As in the AV8022 screen?? Long time discontinued....Been replaced by the AV3423 and AV8533. The 3423 Ive been installing and the 8533 is still not available. Also coming will be the new double din screens AVN-2454 With Navi, AVX-2459 with the 20Gig HD, and AVX-2404 just basic. All of the double dins will have a 6.5" screen. A few newer headunits will soon arrive as they are all on order...

--Don
Old 01-30-2004, 09:07 PM

Yeah thats the one. I havnt been looking into the flip screen HU's much. I knew the new ones were going to come out but I had no idea when The flip out screen's just arnt my thing, ive been told the Eclipse flip screens are built pretty tough though.
Btw- wasnt the replacment of the 8022 supposed to have a 7" screen or are we talking about two diff things now.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:10 PM

Yeah thats the one. I havnt been looking into the flip screen HU's much. I knew the new ones were going to come out but I had no idea when The flip out screen's just arnt my thing, ive been told the Eclipse flip screens are built pretty tough though.
Btw- wasnt the replacment of the 8022 supposed to have a 7" screen or are we talking about two diff things now.

Yes the two replacements 3423 and 8533 are both 7" touchscreens. The 6.5" that I mentioned was for all the new double din HUs.

And yes the Eclipse flipouts are pretty tough, but the 3 year warranty and 1 year theft replacement helps Alot.

--Don
Old 01-30-2004, 09:25 PM

ESN is an awesome feature. Flip screen or not, im more then happy with mine.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:47 PM
Got Projectors?

I've always liked Eclipse HU's but was always under the impression that none of them had detachable faceplates (a problem on campus)...is that still the case?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes, they do not have detachable faces. Eclipse prides itself on their ESN technology.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:19 PM

Well for those of you that posted some insight....Thank You!

Well i finally got this unit from Don(pearlmax96).....
put in today with the Metra pocket dash kit....
OMG......I was not expecting such a dramatic difference....this unit is truly a pro unit and has so much depth in creating the perfect soundstage.....
I'm stoked because its only going to get better
when we install my Arc CXL4150 and 6.5 Arc coaxes in the rear doors (currently stock)

I love the EQ on this unit!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:34 PM

Have fun messing with the cross-overs & the db cutoff slope settings... Once you figure those out, it just gets better & better.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:53 AM

I have the 8053.

Use the formula in the manual to figure out the time alignment. You can do it by ear, but it sounds better with the measurements and formula. Also remember to program your security disk ASAP. I didn't and we disconnected the battery while installing something else and it went into security mode. Had to wait until we called eclipse to get the code to unlock. Pro mode always sounds better BTW.

It is a good head unit. Enjoy.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:02 AM

It wont go into security mode unless you activate the ESN be4. I havnt activated mine yet, and disconneted the battery yesterday (both of them) and it turned right on when I was done.

Pro mode definetly sounds the best
Just hate to read the 120+ page manual.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:21 PM

Pro mode definetly sounds the best
Just hate to read the 120+ page manual.[/QUOTE]

lol! I'm on it....

Old 02-06-2004, 03:27 PM

thats just regular Eq, not Pro mode yet....

--Don
Old 02-06-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
thats just regular Eq, not Pro mode yet....

--Don
lol...when I said "i'm on it".... I was refering to reading that thick *** manual...

My kicker amp w/subs is loving that clean signal! Thanks again Don!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:39 AM

How good is Eclipse's ESN security and how does it work? I've heard good stuff about Eclipse Hu's but was kinda worried that the lack of a detachable face would get my car broken into.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyo319
How good is Eclipse's ESN security and how does it work? I've heard good stuff about Eclipse Hu's but was kinda worried that the lack of a detachable face would get my car broken into.
The ESN (Eclipse Security Network) is pretty much the best antitheft available. Can someone steal an Eclipse radio? Of course. But can they use it? No. You use a key CD for your code, if ever discontected from power you will need the CD to use it again. Obviously if stolen they would not be able to use your radio without contacting Eclipse. At that point your radios serial number is already recorded as being stolen. Cops are notified and the thief is caught. In the meantime if still within one year of your original purchase Eclipse will ship you out a new one, provided you have your receipt from an Authorized dealer as well as your police report.

--Don
Old 02-11-2004, 09:47 AM

basically you program your HU with a key CD....and if someone steals your HU it wont work once its off your car.....if its stolen within a year of purchase, Eclipse will send you a new HU.....
Old 02-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Got Projectors?

So after a year of ownership you're effectively screwed, right?

Not to mention the damage incurred during the theft (broken window, torn up dash).

I love eclipse HU's, but my insurance deductible's too high to play that game. Really wish they'd just go with a detachable face.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM

I agree!

[QUOTE=MetaOrbit]So after a year of ownership you're effectively screwed, right?

I agree with MetaOrbit on this one. If having an Eclipse HU will attract dumb thieves who'll break your window to steal it, its not worth it. But for the smarter audio thieves, at least they'll stay away from it. They should come with a window sticker that says "Protected by ESN. Unit which will not work if removed"

I haven't heard a nice Eclipse HU in a nice system yet so i'm still kinda iffy.

Since we’re on the topic of HU security, I always thought the HU’s with rotating face that turns around and only reveals a plain black side was the stupidest idea in terms of theft protection. If you’re a Car Audio enthusiast or just get Crutchfield catalogs, you’re probably gonna know that only the higher end units had this rotating feature which makes stealing it more tempting. And when it’s rotated, all you have to do is take the whole thing and you’re set, face and Unit intact..
Old 02-11-2004, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=johnnyo319]
Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
So after a year of ownership you're effectively screwed, right?

I agree with MetaOrbit on this one. If having an Eclipse HU will attract dumb thieves who'll break your window to steal it, its not worth it. But for the smarter audio thieves, at least they'll stay away from it. They should come with a window sticker that says "Protected by ESN. Unit which will not work if removed"

I haven't heard a nice Eclipse HU in a nice system yet so i'm still kinda iffy.

Since we’re on the topic of HU security, I always thought the HU’s with rotating face that turns around and only reveals a plain black side was the stupidest idea in terms of theft protection. If you’re a Car Audio enthusiast or just get Crutchfield catalogs, you’re probably gonna know that only the higher end units had this rotating feature which makes stealing it more tempting. And when it’s rotated, all you have to do is take the whole thing and you’re set, face and Unit intact..
For one that is the dummest excuses I've ever heard.....here are some quick points....

* If someone is going to break into your car.....they will regardless if your face is off or not....if they want it they'll get it

* If they break into your car and see a missing face, they'll assume you have other goods as well (amps/subs)

* They shouldn't be able to break into your car if you have a decent alarm...too time consuming and risky for just a HU

* Whats the point of a Faceplate? You will put it into your glove box or underneath your chair.....nobody carries their faceplate in their pocket....and thieves know that so they'll break in anyway

* The HU does come with ESN anti theft stickers....and any professional thief will know not to waste their time....it wont work

* What other company out there gives you a free replacement if its stolen.?..
now they stand behind their product and ESN- no other company will touch that....

Dont get it twisted, Eclipse is not sold by Crutchfield, they are an exclusive brand among the best...if not the best in SQ!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
For one that is the dummest excuses I've ever heard.....here are some quick points....

* If someone is going to break into your car.....they will regardless if your face is off or not....if they want it they'll get it

* If they break into your car and see a missing face, they'll assume you have other goods as well (amps/subs)

* They shouldn't be able to break into your car if you have a decent alarm...too time consuming and risky for just a HU

* Whats the point of a Faceplate? You will put it into your glove box or underneath your chair.....nobody carries their faceplate in their pocket....and thieves know that so they'll break in anyway

* The HU does come with ESN anti theft stickers....and any professional thief will know not to waste their time....it wont work

* What other company out there gives you a free replacement if its stolen.?..
now they stand behind their product and ESN- no other company will touch that....

Dont get it twisted, Eclipse is not sold by Crutchfield, they are an exclusive brand among the best...if not the best in SQ!
I really think you give thieves too much credit. Sure, a "professional" thief would know the difference. But how many thieves that bust into cars and steal stereos are professionals...or all that "bright" for that matter?

In MY experience, all of my friends that have had their cars broken into, and stereos stolen, either had CD players without detachable faces, or didn't detach them. My friends that had taken their faceplates off (sitting right next to the series of cars that were broken into) didn't get their stuff trashed and stolen.

I think that most people that bust into cars and steal stereos (at least the way they do here, on college campus) on a spree are crackheads trying to make a quick buck. They could care less what kind of CD player it is, nor whether it's going to work or not. For the most part, they simply pawn em off once they're stolen and don't really give a damn whether they're functional. To them, it's worth it to pass up the car that has the faceplate detached, simply because there are 5 more down the line that aren't, and are "guaranteed" to result in a successful theft (whereas the faceplate that is detached might not be in the car).

No **** Eclipse is a good brand. I think, in fact, I even said that I liked them. My issue is with the faceplate security. If where you park your car is secure enough to not have to worry about it, I'm happy for you. But for people like me, on a college campus, where my car is literally a half mile away, the best alarm in the world wouldn't help me out.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:48 PM

I really think you give thieves too much credit. Sure, a "professional" thief would know the difference. But how many thieves that bust into cars and steal stereos are professionals...or all that "bright" for that matter?

In MY experience, all of my friends that have had their cars broken into, and stereos stolen, either had CD players without detachable faces, or didn't detach them. My friends that had taken their faceplates off (sitting right next to the series of cars that were broken into) didn't get their stuff trashed and stolen.

I think that most people that bust into cars and steal stereos (at least the way they do here, on college campus) on a spree are crackheads trying to make a quick buck. They could care less what kind of CD player it is, nor whether it's going to work or not. For the most part, they simply pawn em off once they're stolen and don't really give a damn whether they're functional. To them, it's worth it to pass up the car that has the faceplate detached, simply because there are 5 more down the line that aren't, and are "guaranteed" to result in a successful theft (whereas the faceplate that is detached might not be in the car).

No **** Eclipse is a good brand. I think, in fact, I even said that I liked them. My issue is with the faceplate security. If where you park your car is secure enough to not have to worry about it, I'm happy for you. But for people like me, on a college campus, where my car is literally a half mile away, the best alarm in the world wouldn't help me out.
Dude ....if your concern is "crackheads around campus" breaking into your car...then you should consider a decent alarm....before you consider putting in a good sound system in your car.....crackheads will got for a non-armed car before one with an alarm...
Old 02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Got Projectors?

Dude ....if your concern is "crackheads around campus" breaking into your car...then you should consider a decent alarm....before you consider putting in a good sound system in your car.....crackheads will got for a non-armed car before one with an alarm...
Dude...did you possibly read a word I said....?

The CLOSEST my car is to me (while I'm on the 14th floor, BTW) is a half-mile away in a concrete tomb. No alarm is going to help me out. And when stereo theft is smash and grab, the alarm isn't going to do much good either.

Maybe different where you are. That's the way it is here.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:12 PM

Dude...did you possibly read a word I said....?

The CLOSEST my car is to me (while I'm on the 14th floor, BTW) is a half-mile away in a concrete tomb. No alarm is going to help me out. And when stereo theft is smash and grab, the alarm isn't going to do much good either.

Maybe different where you are. That's the way it is here.
Well.....dude if we were all scared shytless of every possible thing that could happen then no one would buy anything.....
I understand your point....I once went to college.....I twice had my car broken into- with and without the face on my HU it was still stolen along with everything else- the face was locked in the glove box- that broken into also.....but i had no alarm in either case

All I know is now I have an alarm with proximity sensors that lets me know when my car is going off.....and if someone still breaks into my car within this year no one can use it and I get a brand new one......you cannot say that about any other HU

Dude I'm in Jersey BTW....its alot more gulley here than Tn....but hey I'm not selling Eclipse.....I'm just content I have one
Old 02-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Got Projectors?

Well.....dude if we were all scared shytless of every possible thing that could happen then no one would buy anything.....
I understand your point....I once went to college.....I twice had my car broken into- with and without the face on my HU it was still stolen along with everything else- the face was locked in the glove box- that broken into also.....but i had no alarm in either case

All I know is now I have an alarm with proximity sensors that lets me know when my car is going off.....and if someone still breaks into my car within this year no one can use it and I get a brand new one......you cannot say that about any other HU

Dude I'm in Jersey BTW....its alot more gulley here than Tn....but hey I'm not selling Eclipse.....I'm just content I have one

Why do I get the feeling that you're taking offense at what I'm saying about Eclipse? They're great. They're awesome. They just don't work for ME. Given what I deal with here (and what others might as well), it just doesn't work for ME. I'm supremely happy it works out for you. I'm not scared, there are just some risks I'll take over others. This isn't one of them.

Oh, and BTW - I'm from Jersey.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:48 PM

no offense taken homey....
It is sad that we have to worry about thieves in any case......
Old 02-11-2004, 07:16 PM

Since I have the 8053, I'll put in my .02:

I'm 100% with Manny. What other company ANYWHERE is gonna give you squat EVER when your HU is stolen???? NONE. Not Alpine, kenwood, Pionneer....nobody. As Manny said, if you're worried about getting broken into...get an alarm. Where do you put the removable face of your HU???? Probably under the seat or in the glove box. You think you're the first one to think of that? Don't you think that the thieves know that too? If a "crack head" thief steals your HU, is your company gonna send you another brand new one???? Not unless it's an Eclipse.

I have extensive experience in Law Enforcement, Stereo installs, and common sense. The vast majority of car break-ins are committed by jealous little teenage boys. They have a car to drive, but no money to outfit it like you have yours so they steal it. Contrary to popular belief, they don't run to the pawn shop to get money for crack. Pawn shops, legit ones, are required by law to not only take your pic and/or fingerprint when you sell them anything of good value but also you have to present ID to get your money (my little brother used to work in one). Neither crack heads nor juvi thief boys want that. Yes, smash and grabs happen. A rip out of a HU is NOT a smash and grab, unless you did a crappy install and left it hanging out. It takes time, even to rip it out. Time that the skiddish and chicken **** little boys don't have if your alarm is whalling the whole time. A smash and grab happens when you leave your CD holder on the seat, when you leave a laptop in the backseat, leave a wallet or purse in the car, leave an RD on the windshield, etc. Items that the perp can smash a window and take off with w/i 5-10 secs max. If "crackheads" were really an issue, doesn't common sense tell you that they would go to the car next to you w/o the alarm? After all, according to you they don't care what KIND it is? Right? So, why would they risk getting caught by going after yours, when your neighbor is much easier?

As far as SQ, there is no contest. 8-16v BALANCED outputs are the most of any HU on the market today. Plus, balanced outputs cancel noise way before it gets to the amp. Clean signal in=clean signal out (if you have a decent amp). The features of the HU are phenomenal. As someone mentioned, it's a dang inch thick book that's the manual. You have 2 different modes, USER programable EQ settings in both modes, 24db crossover (not 12db, 24db), time alignment (one of the best things for true SQ), changer controller, commander controller (which can be connected to work as voice activated controls and GPS), remote, MP3/CDRW capabable, and a bunch more.

For SQ, it is the best HU bar none. If for nothing else, the 8-16v outputs did it for me.

Trust me, I accidentally set the security mode on and disconnected the batt before programming my key cd.....I had to have the dealer call Eclipse corp to get a code to get into it. Once the security is activated, noone else can power it up w/o knowing your "key cd" period.

BTW, you say that "after 12 mos you're out of luck"......Well, with any other HU, you'd be out of luck the sec you left the store. Which one would you rather have???? Protection or no protection? You could always get the 15 yr old super old school security for your HU to make super sure it won't ever get stolen.....The "pull out"...
Old 02-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by JAIMECBR900
Since I have the 8053, I'll put in my .02:

I'm 100% with Manny. What other company ANYWHERE is gonna give you squat EVER when your HU is stolen???? NONE. Not Alpine, kenwood, Pionneer....nobody. As Manny said, if you're worried about getting broken into...get an alarm. Where do you put the removable face of your HU???? Probably under the seat or in the glove box. You think you're the first one to think of that? Don't you think that the thieves know that too? If a "crack head" thief steals your HU, is your company gonna send you another brand new one???? Not unless it's an Eclipse.

I have extensive experience in Law Enforcement, Stereo installs, and common sense. The vast majority of car break-ins are committed by jealous little teenage boys. They have a car to drive, but no money to outfit it like you have yours so they steal it. Contrary to popular belief, they don't run to the pawn shop to get money for crack. Pawn shops, legit ones, are required by law to not only take your pic and/or fingerprint when you sell them anything of good value but also you have to present ID to get your money (my little brother used to work in one). Neither crack heads nor juvi thief boys want that. Yes, smash and grabs happen. A rip out of a HU is NOT a smash and grab, unless you did a crappy install and left it hanging out. It takes time, even to rip it out. Time that the skiddish and chicken **** little boys don't have if your alarm is whalling the whole time. A smash and grab happens when you leave your CD holder on the seat, when you leave a laptop in the backseat, leave a wallet or purse in the car, leave an RD on the windshield, etc. Items that the perp can smash a window and take off with w/i 5-10 secs max. If "crackheads" were really an issue, doesn't common sense tell you that they would go to the car next to you w/o the alarm? After all, according to you they don't care what KIND it is? Right? So, why would they risk getting caught by going after yours, when your neighbor is much easier?

As far as SQ, there is no contest. 8-16v BALANCED outputs are the most of any HU on the market today. Plus, balanced outputs cancel noise way before it gets to the amp. Clean signal in=clean signal out (if you have a decent amp). The features of the HU are phenomenal. As someone mentioned, it's a dang inch thick book that's the manual. You have 2 different modes, USER programable EQ settings in both modes, 24db crossover (not 12db, 24db), time alignment (one of the best things for true SQ), changer controller, commander controller (which can be connected to work as voice activated controls and GPS), remote, MP3/CDRW capabable, and a bunch more.

For SQ, it is the best HU bar none. If for nothing else, the 8-16v outputs did it for me.

Trust me, I accidentally set the security mode on and disconnected the batt before programming my key cd.....I had to have the dealer call Eclipse corp to get a code to get into it. Once the security is activated, noone else can power it up w/o knowing your "key cd" period.

BTW, you say that "after 12 mos you're out of luck"......Well, with any other HU, you'd be out of luck the sec you left the store. Which one would you rather have???? Protection or no protection? You could always get the 15 yr old super old school security for your HU to make super sure it won't ever get stolen.....The "pull out"...
Wow. I'm so proud of you. You went through a helluva lot of effort just to start an argument

Meanwhile, I think we agreed we both have our preferences. Enjoy your day!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well that was a fun read....

I have a legitimate question for the members:
My car was stolen along with my Eclipse CD5423 (and $2,000 more of stereo equipment), which was ESN activated. I had full coverage for 7 years on my car, and removed it just days before my car was stolen. I've been trying to replace my system for cheap as I don't have the cash for new stuff right now.

I just bought a used CD8443 on Ebay WITHOUT a manual. How easy would it be for me to obtain one? The guys know me at my local audio dealer but I don't think they sell Eclipse anymore. Suggestions?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by surf_rider_81

Well that was a fun read....

I have a legitimate question for the members:
My car was stolen along with my Eclipse CD5423 (and $2,000 more of stereo equipment), which was ESN activated. I had full coverage for 7 years on my car, and removed it just days before my car was stolen. I've been trying to replace my system for cheap as I don't have the cash for new stuff right now.

I just bought a used CD8443 on Ebay WITHOUT a manual. How easy would it be for me to obtain one? The guys know me at my local audio dealer but I don't think they sell Eclipse anymore. Suggestions?
I believe United Radio can order you one, they're an authorized repair shop and should be able to get you one, not sure the cost though. I'm familiar with the 8443 as I had one and just sold it, although I did send my manual to the person that bought mine. Most of the settings are pretty straight forward to access (mainly most are accessed from the right-hand ****), and the screen will flash which buttons are applicable based on what menu you are looking at.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Suspension Yoda

So, you bump a 5 year old thread just to ask where you can get a replacement manual for a HU that is 6 years old?