1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Help - 1987 Maxima Ignition / digital dash issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help - 1987 Maxima Ignition / digital dash issues

I've been having intermittent issues with the speedometer registering zero. When this happens, the odometer and cruise control do not work.

Recently the ignition switch has failed will not spring back from start. Today when I started the car the entire dash was dark. I restarted the the car and the dash came back to life.

Is the speedometer issue related to the ignition problem? I've ordered a new ignition switch which includes the bracket, switch and cylinder lock.

Does anyone know the steps for removing the old bracket from the steering column? Do I have to drill out the security bolts to remove the old switch?

Any help and/or pictures would be appreciated!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:27 PM

the ignition swtich is the culprit which usually powers up your cars from the dash to window switches as for the key to spring back, sound like bad tumbler, so you would have to to disassemble it and see what the problem could be. I am not sure if there are security bolts on them, if they do, yes they have to be drilled out but I would check the availability of the part before taking on taking apart on your steering column so you know what you are getting into
Old 05-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by sootie
I've been having intermittent issues with the speedometer registering zero. When this happens, the odometer and cruise control do not work.

Recently the ignition switch has failed will not spring back from start. Today when I started the car the entire dash was dark. I restarted the the car and the dash came back to life.

Is the speedometer issue related to the ignition problem? I've ordered a new ignition switch which includes the bracket, switch and cylinder lock.

Does anyone know the steps for removing the old bracket from the steering column? Do I have to drill out the security bolts to remove the old switch?

Any help and/or pictures would be appreciated!
I just replaced a 98's ignition switch cylinder lock....I think it's was easier to diegrind the security bolts off than drilling the heads off....If you have a 90 degree drill it's easier! I initially tried using a small 1/4" air drill and it was still to long to get straight on the bolts...So I diegrinded the heads down tothe shanks and knocked it off!!! Felt like I was a car thief there for a few minutes! I purchase mine thru Rockauto...Good Luck man!