1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

RWD 2nd gen Maxima..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

i aint worried, ordering the fuel cell and catylitic this weekend, will be updating next week... possible driving by end of month...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by torqueymonster
Does he look worried?
I didn't say he was worried. But I do know that road blocks, and trying to decide on the best solution for an idea while working on completely original and custom projects, can sometimes take a lot of time and thought which can be a distraction from other things that need to get done.

Good to hear it's still progressing
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM

this is an epic build.!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Hope it's on the road by the end of the month. Good job so far.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I love lamp.

I was browsing thru through pics and saw you're going to use spacers. Perhaps another option is to convert over to a 5 lug setup instead. Way more offset option available where you don't have to use a ridiculous size spacer. Just sayin.

S
Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by maximase86
I was browsing thru through pics and saw you're going to use spacers. Perhaps another option is to convert over to a 5 lug setup instead. Way more offset option available where you don't have to use a ridiculous size spacer. Just sayin.

S

oh most deffinately, the spacer is just to get it going, a staggered setup with a gangster offset is most desired, thinking of getting, some mb battles, or even some work te 37 LOL!

at a road block now caling the dmv and chp so see what regulations i have to meet and to see if i need to add anything...
Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Big_E-Dog, your mental. I say this in a good way! Keep it up!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
oh most deffinately, the spacer is just to get it going, a staggered setup with a gangster offset is most desired, thinking of getting, some mb battles, or even some work te 37 LOL!

at a road block now caling the dmv and chp so see what regulations i have to meet and to see if i need to add anything...
DMV and CHP are definitely your buddies, I hope you have an easy task ahead of you getting certified to drive that beast on public roads......
Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
DMV and CHP are definitely your buddies
Wow, what planet are you from? DMV takes any opportunity to make things as difficult as possible.

I once had to pay twice for registration because THEY screwed up. Actually, I didn't pay twice, but it took a lot of debating to get them to understand the situation and actually listen to me. At one point I said "how about a little customer service" which sent the clerk into a state of total confusion and shock.

Last edited by Hectic; 08-16-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Wow, what planet are you from? DMV takes any opportunity to make things as difficult as possible.

I once had to pay twice for registration because THEY screwed up. Actually, I didn't pay twice, but it took a lot of debating to get them to understand the situation and actually listen to me. At one point I said "how about a little customer service" which sent the clerk into a state of total confusion and shock.
Lmao! As if they actually gave a damn.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

At one point I said "how about a little customer service" which sent the clerk into a state of total confusion and shock.

hahaha thats funny LOL!

called them and they gave me another number, ........this is looking great LOL!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 PM

You have to go through DMV with this car? Cant you just register it as a regular Maxima? They dont need to know it was converted to RWD.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Cali is a different world then NY (so i hear)
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM

wow thats crazy, here on older cars you dont even need an inspection, the only questions i was asked were is it modded (they take your word for it) and is it RHD. thats it
Old 08-17-2011, 05:44 PM

are you going to have to get the car builder permit thing to get it on the road?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 PM

actually you could pull a kit car law or the like right?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Ah Good o'l kaliforniya.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 AM

It's 100% pure SARCASM! Sorry you didn't get it!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

status update........

so i went and talked to the ppl required, was told to get a gastank from a vehicle regestered and smogged in california, since my first choice wasnt available (infiniti M30) had to go with their bigger brother infiniti Q45.

with the suspension setup and tank i wont have a trunk, oh wells, ill get over it. just have to weld in mounts and thatl be done.

so my dumb *** made a stoopid mistake, i mean stooooooopid LOL!

so i swaped over the nuckles over from a 240sx, basically the came nuckle minus holes for FWD axles. to get them to work i put the left on the right and the right on the left side, so the steering mounts are in the front.... ideal position to mount the rack under the oil pan. cool huh lol

so i mount the Q45 steering rack put it in place, weld up the linkage then turn the wheels, hahahaha

i turn the wheel to the left and the wheels turn to the right i reversed the steering hahaha.

the remedy..... 280zx steering rack it has the same setup i have, so i now got one, hookin it up now, so mow that im using a 280 rack i had to change over the spindles because i had to hone out the other ones, then had to remount the brakes and such, so a lil setback but i got it sorted out now.

q45 on top and 240 on bottom

Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
It's 100% pure SARCASM! Sorry you didn't get it!
Yeah me too! I mean it was so obvious

*sarcasm*
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Probably too late, but is the J30's trunk mounted tank smaller and skinnier than the Q's?
Old 08-27-2011, 02:53 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

naaah its the same tank a few of te bungs are different though but its the same tank...

started mounting it today got a few problems with the level unit bit it should be cake after a real good look. mounting the new rack as well, now that my license is suspended on some dumb **** i gots time to work on it, all that time wasted doin sensless errands and other ppls work just got cut LOL! YAY!!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:57 AM

Hopefully your license suspension doesn't keep you from making a video or two when it's drivable
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM

I'd be willing to work the kinks out for you, Big-E...

just need you to float me a plane ticket from Maine to out there...

TM
Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by torqueymonster
just need you to float me a plane ticket from Maine to out there...

TM
Hah. It might go over easy with others if you didn't type responses in the title box.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

got my lisence suspension lifted on monday, due to false idenity, oh wells, gonna buy exhaust pipe this weekend, and fluids..

just gotta figure out what fluid ima put in the VLSD
Old 09-02-2011, 04:17 PM

got my lisence suspension lifted on monday, due to false idenity, oh wells, gonna buy exhaust pipe this weekend, and fluids..

just gotta figure out what fluid ima put in the VLSD
You mean you aren't really Big_E-Dog????? , Those DMZ guys really treated you well I see............So the good news is you're free and so is you car????
Old 09-03-2011, 05:02 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

yeah imma free black man again lol

back on track by tuesday ill have exhaust and steering and the tank mounted hopefully. try to start it by next week yay!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM

yeah imma free black man again lol

back on track by tuesday ill have exhaust and steering and the tank mounted hopefully. try to start it by next week yay!!!
Me too!
Old 09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

allrightey, updates...

had to make an adapter relayed harness for the maxima to q45 gas tank fuel pump assy

fuel tank plumbed ready to go..

exhaust welded up except for catylitic converter

radiator hoses completed, gonna buy ebay e-fans

next on the list is the steering rack, cotta gut and paste lol!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 AM
No turbo, no care!

Is the smaller line coming off the gas tank for the evap canister? Is the small inline canister on that line a check valve? Also what size is that exhaust and where in the world did you get that "Nismo" muffler???
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Is the smaller line coming off the gas tank for the evap canister? Is the small inline canister on that line a check valve? Also what size is that exhaust and where in the world did you get that "Nismo" muffler???
question

1: yes its the evap line to the canister

2: yes again its some sort of valve fugured id use it because of smog regulations

3: 2.5 inch turbo back the muffler is a straight through type so no baffle plates, and i got connections LOL!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
No turbo, no care!

The evap system wont actually effect your emission tests. Its function is to collect the expanding gases from the gas tank (that would otherwise leak out into the atmosphere) in the carbon canister and release them into the intake the next time the engine is run. I took mine out a long time ago when gas wasn't so expensive but with todays costs I've actually considered hooking mine back up. It probably only saves fuel during the summer, and I can't imagine it saves that much but I would love to see some kind of numbers.

Have you considered going with a 3" turbo back? What kind of power goals do you have?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 PM

There is actually a test procedure done during the CA Smog test that pressurizes that system and if you don't pass that portion, you automatically fail....

Although that really isn't saying much because if you don't pass any one section you automatically fail
Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by Sam o nela
There is actually a test procedure done during the CA Smog test that pressurizes that system and if you don't pass that portion, you automatically fail....
That test has nothing to do with the evap system. What they are testing is the gas cap and weather it leaks or not. Lack of an evap system wont influence this test at all unless you fail to cap the line off the fuel tank.

Anyway, Im more interested in this build than smog laws so please back on topic.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 PM

So where did you get that "NISMO" muffler? You might wanna do a resonator, but with you having turbos, it should be rather quiet since turbos are diffusers....I'm surprised you didn't use a 3" catback since you're a twin turbo guy.....
Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 PM

That test has nothing to do with the evap system. What they are testing is the gas cap and weather it leaks or not. Lack of an evap system wont influence this test at all unless you fail to cap the line off the fuel tank.
Please know what your are talking about before attempting to sound like you are actually knowledgeable about the subject...

For the Smog Test: The state of California's BAR has started to perform the EVAP Functional Test, also known as the Low Pressure Fuel Evaporative Test (LPFET). This will be in addition to the standard smog emissions test. 1976 to 1995 model year vehicles will be tested, which includes all pre OBDII vehicles subject to Smog Check. The most important impact on consumers is that the emission reductions will improve air quality and reduce their health risks. This test is designed to insure your vehicle's fuel evaporative system is not leaking gas fumes in to the atmosphere. It is estimated that over 7,000,000 vehicles will need to be tested each year and of those 11% will fail. The average cost to repair a failed EVAP system is estimated to be approximately $250.00. Check your vehicle's "Underhood Emissions Information" label or with a certified smog repair shop for detailed location information. Find this component and insure it is connected properly.

http://www.smogtips.com/charcoal.cfm

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...s/LPFETFAQ.pdf
I think the first time this test was required of one of my cars was 2008.

Now that we have accurate information and what the OP is facing...lets get back on topic...

Last edited by Sam o nela; 09-16-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 PM

Anyway, Im more interested in this build than smog laws so please back on topic.
The test that was mentioned IS for the evap system. The place where I got my 2nd gen smog'd a couple weeks ago attached a line to my evap system, and my car passed that test. No gas cap test, it was connected under the hood.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 AM
STFU n00b!

Then how do you explain the visual carbon canister inspection requirements? the test itself only checks to see if the system is sealed, but the test procedure involves locating the canister, noting it on the inspection sheet, and pinching/plugging the outlet lines and then pressurizing the system.
If you don't have a canister, then you fail the test. pretty simple there.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:56 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

went out and bought fluids, tranny, diff, oil, radiator fluid, gonna get some gass today or tomorrow, look for missing grounds, fill it up and see what happens, i know timing is gonna be a *****, it allways is lol!

gotta buy a 300zx cat whish is gonna put me back 200 bills damn!!

Quick Reply: RWD 2nd gen Maxima..