1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Converting Intake and Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Converting Intake and Exhaust?

Has anyone converted a 2nd to 3rd gen intake and exhaust?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 AM

thought about it at one time, but i'm sure it would take a ECU and wiring swap also.

oh yea also you would need valve covers from the 3rd gen or pathfinder due to the oil fill.

Last edited by vernk; 12-16-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

the exhaust would be easy just a coupple of bolts, but i heard somewheres that our intake manifold flows the best. so there would be no point in changing them except for looks. wiring... injectors, aiv, bcdd certain stuff would have to be blocked off, but it could work.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
the exhaust would be easy just a coupple of bolts, but i heard somewheres that our intake manifold flows the best.
If so then just swap the exhaust and be done with it. More time/money for you.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM

the exhaust would be easy just a coupple of bolts, but i heard somewheres that our intake manifold flows the best. so there would be no point in changing them except for looks. wiring... injectors, aiv, bcdd certain stuff would have to be blocked off, but it could work.
I've got a friend of mine with an "88" ( 2nd Gen) clean as hell, but screwed around trying to change his own timing belt and messed up his engine! So he wants me to fix it for him. I've looked at the 2nd and 3rd and man there are alot of similarities.... I believe that my 3rd Gen stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe will fit, without any drama. I will try since mine will be just laying around, cause I'm going with headers and a free flow exhaust system. I'll also try a 3rd gen fuel rail and throw away that OEM 2nd gen crap if the 3rd gen fits!
I can install some AIV fitting on the Y-pipe if I have too. That system is pretty simple....
Old 12-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I've got a friend of mine with an "88" ( 2nd Gen) clean as hell, but screwed around trying to change his own timing belt and messed up his engine! So he wants me to fix it for him. I've looked at the 2nd and 3rd and man there are alot of similarities.... I believe that my 3rd Gen stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe will fit, without any drama. I will try since mine will be just laying around, cause I'm going with headers and a free flow exhaust system. I'll also try a 3rd gen fuel rail and throw away that OEM 2nd gen crap if the 3rd gen fits!
I can install some AIV fitting on the Y-pipe if I have too. That system is pretty simple....
yea it's a VG30E as far as the injectors I don't think there is much of a differences between the 3rd gen OEM crap and the 2nd gen other then you might have to put a piggy back on to get it to run right.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by vernk
yea it's a VG30E as far as the injectors I don't think there is much of a differences between the 3rd gen OEM crap and the 2nd gen other then you might have to put a piggy back on to get it to run right.
No I'm looking at how the 2nd gen are secured...it's totally different from the 3rd gens. Plus the LIM is different, it's inline configuration and the 3rd is offset config.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

so your fixing the second gen or the third gen and why would you want to change the exaust and intake manifold if he messed up the engine with a timing belt??
Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 AM

No I'm looking at how the 2nd gen are secured...it's totally different from the 3rd gens. Plus the LIM is different, it's inline configuration and the 3rd is offset config.
i was talking as far as performance
Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM

so your fixing the second gen or the third gen and why would you want to change the exaust and intake manifold if he messed up the engine with a timing belt??
just to see if it could be done and install a better exhaust system that's not wrapped around the trans/eng....The valves are bent and i'm basically curious whether the straighter routed 3rd gen would fit.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 AM

i have been pondering the possibility of putting a 3rd gen exhaust system from the manifolds back for years, but I have heard that our exhaust flows even better than the stock VG30E 3rd gen exhaust(from some 3rd genners i have met in person)
Old 12-18-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
i have been pondering the possibility of putting a 3rd gen exhaust system from the manifolds back for years, but I have heard that our exhaust flows even better than the stock VG30E 3rd gen exhaust(from some 3rd genners i have met in person)
yea I could see that, i think if you wanted to make it better you could make a custom Y pipe (for more fun put a turbo flange on right away) to make them equal length by bringing them back over the tranny and have them come together there then down to the flex pipe, but you would have to put a different intake pipe like a HAI or a CAI that would give you enough room to run the exhaust away from the back of the engine a bit more and a bunch of heat shielding
Old 12-18-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by vernk
yea I could see that, i think if you wanted to make it better you could make a custom Y pipe (for more fun put a turbo flange on right away) to make them equal length by bringing them back over the tranny and have them come together there then down to the flex pipe, but you would have to put a different intake pipe like a HAI or a CAI that would give you enough room to run the exhaust away from the back of the engine a bit more and a bunch of heat shielding
That's too much heat up in the engine bay and that's one of the things I'm trying to get away from....that routing method over the trans can't be that efficient..... in either bends or heat tranfer into intake, trans, engine.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:23 AM

the injectors can be different, but what does it matter if theyre held on one way or another.

within seccond gen cars there are standard feed injectors that have been used since the L28e and there are also side feed injectors that were used to replace durring the recalls or some later 2nd gens.

my 87 had side feed injectors unfortunately, because i would have really liked to used them in my Z but they mounted completely different.