1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

who still has there 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 AM

who still has there 2nd gen

if anyone here still has there 2nd gen please post we have very little talk and if anyone is selling one please let me know thanks
Old 11-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 914max
if anyone here still has there 2nd gen please post we have very little talk and if anyone is selling one please let me know thanks
i have a 2nd gen and i LOVE it!!! but im very worried about maintaning it...i need a front air dam and an auto trans...can i just flush it??? and will an air dam fit on an 87 max gxe???
Old 11-24-2008, 01:19 AM

mines gone, on the prowl for a 2nd gen wagon or a 1st gen.....perferably a first gen
Old 11-24-2008, 02:47 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

i got a air dam which is undamaged i might add the question is will you pay for shipping...

btw i still have my maxima as well and love the twin turboed byiotch to death!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
i got a air dam which is undamaged i might add the question is will you pay for shipping...

btw i still have my maxima as well and love the twin turboed byiotch to death!
thank you !!! yes ill gladly pay 4 shipping!!! that air is so hard to find i wonder how it will be to ship to greensboro nc??? and will it fit on the gxe bumper???
Old 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have my 86 wagon...just rolled over 85k miles 10/08...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM

I just sold my 88 wagon 3 weeks ago. Only had 91k on it.

I bought a volvo 850 since then.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:21 AM

oo.iight
Old 11-25-2008, 01:56 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

itl fit but youll have to drill the 3 holes on the sides for the side bracket. you dont really have to but itl keep it from floppin around on the freeway. hell as a matter of fact i ran without the holes for like a year and no problems.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
itl fit but youll have to drill the 3 holes on the sides for the side bracket. you dont really have to but itl keep it from floppin around on the freeway. hell as a matter of fact i ran without the holes for like a year and no problems.

ok cool!! thats sounds easy enough...do you want my address???
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Yep still have my 85se currently laying low in the drive way till I get my DL back
Old 11-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie, Bob here, I have an '87, my second, had a brand new '87 SE way back when. My current just turned over 154K today, she runs perfect, and I truly believe the second gen was, and is, one of the most beautiful cars ever built!

I want to keep my girl as original as possible, but I did replace the old stereo with a Blaupunkpt/Clarion Amp/Infinity Reference system, 600W and uses the original grills, so you don't know the difference. Other than the sound. She's kinda of a cross between an SE and a GLE, though looks factory. I've had her for 2 years now, and put 400 miles a week on her. 5-speed, so no worries about engine or tranny failure. Working on the cruise control right now, hoping it's the switch on the brake pedal. Showed about 60 Ohms resistence today, so I'm going to jumper it and give it a whirl tomorrow. Is there a way I can post a pic?

I'm looking for a decent wagon to use as a work car. Want her to look just as good, but sometimes I'd like the little extra room. I'm located about 45 minutes N of St. Pete.

Here's a pic I have on Photobucket:
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=000_0240.jpg
Old 11-27-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CBob
Newbie, Bob here, I have an '87, my second, had a brand new '87 SE way back when. My current just turned over 154K today, she runs perfect, and I truly believe the second gen was, and is, one of the most beautiful cars ever built!

I want to keep my girl as original as possible, but I did replace the old stereo with a Blaupunkpt/Clarion Amp/Infinity Reference system, 600W and uses the original grills, so you don't know the difference. Other than the sound. She's kinda of a cross between an SE and a GLE, though looks factory. I've had her for 2 years now, and put 400 miles a week on her. 5-speed, so no worries about engine or tranny failure. Working on the cruise control right now, hoping it's the switch on the brake pedal. Showed about 60 Ohms resistence today, so I'm going to jumper it and give it a whirl tomorrow. Is there a way I can post a pic?

I'm looking for a decent wagon to use as a work car. Want her to look just as good, but sometimes I'd like the little extra room. I'm located about 45 minutes N of St. Pete.

nice 87!!!and welcome to the club!!! oh and check the timing belt in case its old...
Old 11-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Diasiss,
I've been giving that some thought. From what I understand, what's called an interference fit. Belt breaks, valves hit pistons, top end trashed. Something like that?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Very nice!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wish I still had mine. Shouldnt have sold her
Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 AM

Diasiss,
I've been giving that some thought. From what I understand, what's called an interference fit. Belt breaks, valves hit pistons, top end trashed. Something like that?
yeah my friend had a nice 86 se and his engine was just idiling at a shop when his timing belt broke and it bent all the valves...i just had mine done and my mechanic said if the timing belt broke while driving it,it would destroy the engine and the tranny...
Old 11-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont think the transmission would be destroyed. My timing belt tensioner shattered at 50-60. I had the top end rebuilt. Cost me $1500, it was worth it though.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:04 AM

hey!!!..i got a question...will 4 lug 84-85 z31 300zx wheels fit on the 85-88 maxima??? do they need any custom work to fit on a 2nd gen maxima???
Old 11-30-2008, 08:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by DIASISS OF JASSICS.COM
hey!!!..i got a question...will 4 lug 84-85 z31 300zx wheels fit on the 85-88 maxima??? do they need any custom work to fit on a 2nd gen maxima???
They should fit just fine. 2nd gen= 4 x 114.3 lug pattern, with 36mm stock wheel offset.

84-85 300zx= 4 x 114.3 lug pattern, with 30mm offset.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
They should fit just fine. 2nd gen= 4 x 114.3 lug pattern, with 36mm stock wheel offset.

84-85 300zx= 4 x 114.3 lug pattern, with 30mm offset.
thanks!! and nice hat lol!!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 AM

yea glad to see all these ppl still out here doing your thing with the 2nd gens cant wait to i can find me a 5sp stick and do any of you think what other maxima engine would fit in the 2nd gen best
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I still have a 0.5 gen... '78 with a '82 diesel engine. There's not much to discuss, it just drives on a daily basis with basic maintenance.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:33 PM

i gots a question. i have two third gens and i found a dirt cheap 2nd gen with low miles and rear end damage, will this motor swap into my 3rd gen, or should i find a rear clip and keep the 2nd gen. i would rather use it for my 3rd gen turbo project if it fits. i thought it was the same engine but i really have no idea.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey everybody! I'm a long-time reader, first time poster. anyway, I have an '87 max with 187k miles. currently not running (at least not well), but I'm hoping my troubleshooting will get her going again.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nissans ftw,
Upload pics to photobucket and post. Love to see what she looks like!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nissans ftw,
Upload pics to photobucket and post. Love to see what she looks like!

uploaded some pictures I took a while back...camera phone quality, but you can get the idea. enjoy!

http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/w...1724redone.jpg

http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/w...724aredone.jpg

http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/w...1725redone.jpg
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 AM

I still have mine,but nobody ever posts up around here
Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nissans ftw,
She is a beaut! They are the best when they are in their original condition. What's wrong with her?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Zcarmaniac,
BTW, I post, but when it interests me. I bought a brand new '87 SE from Reed Nissan in Orlando in Nov., '87, paid $22.5 for her. Charcoal Gray. The most beautiful lines on any car I'd ever seen (my buddies '86 GLE kinda sold me). To this day, she still has the most beautiful lines, not to mention an excellent interior. To defile her with lowering, or a body kit, or anything other than the original wheels is sacrilage to me. Yes, I stepped up to 205s on my current '87, but that's it.

Will I get some s h i t for this from the younger guys who like to pimp out their rides? Probably. But go back in this thread and check out my current 87, you'll see what I mean. I put 400 miles a week on her, she uses no oil, she handles like a dream, and pulls like a freight train. 4DSC.

JMO.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nissans ftw,
She is a beaut! They are the best when they are in their original condition. What's wrong with her?
yea, it's been an awesome car...unfortunately it's got what seems to be a common problem among that generation...the engine runs fine until it warms up, when it starts to miss. trying to floor the accelerator is impossible because it bogs down and almost dies... I have to lightly feather the throttle to get it anywhere at all. from reading in the forum it sounds like the CHTS is bad, but I've been having a hard time finding a replacement. (hopefully all that makes sense...)

so we'll see. she's a work in progress...but yea, she's always run great up until this episode, and from some of the posts on this forum it seems like the VG30 is good for at least 250k miles, so I've got a ways to go
Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by nissans_ftw
yea, it's been an awesome car...unfortunately it's got what seems to be a common problem among that generation...the engine runs fine until it warms up, when it starts to miss. trying to floor the accelerator is impossible because it bogs down and almost dies... I have to lightly feather the throttle to get it anywhere at all. from reading in the forum it sounds like the CHTS is bad, but I've been having a hard time finding a replacement. (hopefully all that makes sense...)

so we'll see. she's a work in progress...but yea, she's always run great up until this episode, and from some of the posts on this forum it seems like the VG30 is good for at least 250k miles, so I've got a ways to go
do you think it could be the mass air sensor??? mine did that until i replaced it...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DIASISS OF JASSICS.COM
do you think it could be the mass air sensor??? mine did that until i replaced it...
yea, I've checked the MAF ... the wire glows red after I turn the engine off, and when I unplug it while the cars running, it runs really bad. I've also checked the o2 sensor, thinking that could be the culprit but I'm fairly certain it's fine. I still haven't completely ruled out any possibilities, so I'm going to try and run to a junkyard in the next day or so and try getting some parts
Old 12-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by nissans_ftw

what kind of miss is it? call nissan and see if you need to have the injector recall done
Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by vernk
what kind of miss is it? call nissan and see if you need to have the injector recall done
yea, I checked through their website and supposedly it's already been done. might not be a bad idea to check at the local dealer here though...

but yea. when the engine is just idling you can hear it miss irregularly every little bit (worse when it's at operating temperature).
when I'm driving it will almost completely cut out, it's bad all the time but can be really bad depending on how much throttle I try to give it. not sure how that plays into it, because I was sitting at a light and it was still cutting out.

I've tried pulling each plug one by one, and each injector relay to see if there's one bad one causing the problem, but no luck so far.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM

well it's hard to say with out hearing it myself but I would say go though and make sure the plugs are gaped right and that the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all in good shape then go though all the vac lines to make sure they are not cracked and such, make sure all plugs are together and clean. Then the funnest part if you have a chance disconnect the exhaust before the cat and see how it runs, your cat could be plugged.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by vernk
well it's hard to say with out hearing it myself but I would say go though and make sure the plugs are gaped right and that the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all in good shape then go though all the vac lines to make sure they are not cracked and such, make sure all plugs are together and clean. Then the funnest part if you have a chance disconnect the exhaust before the cat and see how it runs, your cat could be plugged.

good call...yea, I'll have to go through everything and just double check it all. I'll save the cat for last though...I really dont want to mess with that. anyway, it's snowing now so I wont be working on it for a while, but I'll keep you guys updated if anything changes.

thanks for the help everyone!! much appreciated.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 PM

just because the "wire glows" in the maf it doesent mean its working properly.

damn i am glad i have a car that doesent have a MAF
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/members/dia...s-2nd-ugly.jpg
Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 PM

just the other day had some work done on my 87 new fogs and alarm system itsz crazy i like it going to show pics soon

Quick Reply: who still has there 2nd gen