1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

How to stop flywheel from moving - automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM

How to stop flywheel from moving - automatic

I know my Max is a 94', but I wanted to post here in 1st and 2nd gen because I won't have to worry getting confused as a VE30 guy and I have the same VG30 engine as y'all

What is the best way to stop the flywheel from moving on an automatic so one can remove/install the crankshaft pulley bolt?

For reference I have already tried using a C-clamp (it just slid along the surface of the flywheel) and wedging a screw driver into the flywheel teeth (spit it right back out when I applied pressure no matter how I positioned it).

People have said they have used a screw driver succesfully - is it a really big screw driver? How exactly did you place it in relation to the flywheel teeth?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by AzureblueZ
I know my Max is a 94', but I wanted to post here in 1st and 2nd gen because I won't have to worry getting confused as a VE30 guy and I have the same VG30 engine as y'all

All you had to say was you have a VG engine.

Two things you can try

1.Clamp a pair of vise grips as tight as you can get them on to the flexplate,then go to town on the bolt.

2. If the car is still driveable,take down to a local shop and have them use an impact wrench to break the bolt loose for you,then tighten it back snug,but not super tight like it was/drive it back home/go from there..
Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the advice! I was actually able to break it loose on my lunch hour using an impact wrench. I had one, but I assumed that it wouldn't do the trick because the crankshaft would still spin. The impact wrench did the trick, but I will be using your advice as a method to retighten it once the time is right. I am a fanatic about tightening everything to specifications, and speficiations for the crankshaft bolt are 90 ft/lbs!!

Thanks again
Old 09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Thanks for the advice! I was actually able to break it loose on my lunch hour using an impact wrench. I had one, but I assumed that it wouldn't do the trick because the crankshaft would still spin. The impact wrench did the trick, but I will be using your advice as a method to retighten it once the time is right. I am a fanatic about tightening everything to specifications, and speficiations for the crankshaft bolt are 90 ft/lbs!!

Thanks again
Ahh..I always assume that people don't have an impact wrench so i always tell people to take it to a shop for impact work. glad you got it taken care of.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:07 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

you could allways thke a big screwdriver in one hand ant the torque wernch in the other, put the screwdriver in the tooeh of the flywheel and turn with the other hand

works all the time.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:01 PM
I love lamp.

Anyone that uses a torque wrench to break bolts loose is an idiot. Use a breaker bar.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maximase86
Anyone that uses a torque wrench to break bolts loose is an idiot. Use a breaker bar.
Actually,you have it backwards,you do not use an impact wrench to TIGHTEN most bolts,because you will almost always over torque the bolt past it's torque specifications.You should always use a torque wrench to tighten critical bolts to their specific torque value.

Here is a good article on this subject.

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/tt/tt100506.htm
Old 09-22-2007, 05:47 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

torque wrench/breaker bar same length just lock it at 0
Old 09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Actually,you have it backwards,you do not use an impact wrench to TIGHTEN most bolts,because you will almost always over torque the bolt past it's torque specifications.You should always use a torque wrench to tighten critical bolts to their specific torque value.

Here is a good article on this subject.

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/tt/tt100506.htm
How do I have it backwards? I also agree using a impact wrench to tighten a bolt down is stupid as well.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
torque wrench/breaker bar same length just lock it at 0
I've seen people **** up torque wrenches because they used it to break bolts loose. Moral of the story, use the right tool for the job. Breaker bars are cheap, torque wrenches tend not to be so cheap.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:27 PM

I took mine off tonight, using a breaker bar and a big screwdriver. One in each hand.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

How do I have it backwards? I also agree using a impact wrench to tighten a bolt down is stupid as well.
lol,so what do you think impact wrenches are good for then,a tool box decoration?

Dude,thousands of repair shops and individuals use impact wrenches every day to remove lug nuts,and/or other various bolts from cars/trucks without incident..I personally have used impact wrenches to remove all sorts of fasteners/bolts for 15+ years now,and have yet to ruin a bolt or nut with an impact wrench.

Again i stress,i do not recommend using a impact wrench for tightening of torque sensitive bolts,as you will most likely over torque the bolt past it's specified torque values,always use a torque wrench for the final tightening of bolts/and/or nuts.

Last edited by Greeny; 09-23-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 PM
I love lamp.

lol,so what do you think impact wrenches are good for then,a tool box decoration?

Dude,thousands of repair shops and individuals use impact wrenches every day to remove lug nuts,and/or other various bolts from cars/trucks without incident..I personally have used impact wrenches to remove all sorts of fasteners/bolts for 15+ years now,and have yet to ruin a bolt or nut with an impact wrench.

Again i stress,i do not recommend using a impact wrench for tightening of torque sensitive bolts,as you will most likely over torque the bolt past it's specified torque values,always use a torque wrench for the final tightening of bolts/and/or nuts.
Dude, seriously...where do I say to tighten down bolts with a impact wrench? I was talking about NOT using a torque wrenches to break loose bolts for removal. You said I have it backwards and I don't understand why...

Also, are you assuming everyone has an impact wrench or something?

S
Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by Fatty Matty
I took mine off tonight, using a breaker bar and a big screwdriver. One in each hand.

told ya that it works

LOL!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Dude, seriously...where do I say to tighten down bolts with a impact wrench? I was talking about NOT using a torque wrenches to break loose bolts for removal. You said I have it backwards and I don't understand why...

Also, are you assuming everyone has an impact wrench or something?

S
Damn! i see it now.

For some reason i was seeing the word "impact" I think i need more sleep.

Sorry,my bad .
Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys

I'm renting a puller to get the pulley off and hopefully I can have it off by tonight. I am still waiting on a few parts, the tensioner and stud, to come in...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys

I'm renting a puller to get the pulley off and hopefully I can have it off by tonight. I am still waiting on a few parts, the tensioner and stud, to come in...
I just went to the harbor freight store at lunch and scored an 8" 3-jaw puller for $11.25 out the door. I'm pulling mine tonight also.

The pulley measures about 6 1/2" so I went with the 8".

They also had a set with 4-6-8" for $19.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:45 PM

lol im a 5th gen guy but i was pokin around
just fyi an automatic doesnt have a flywheel only manuals do
automatics have a "drive plate"

it would suck to order a flywheel for your automatic and realize your mistake after it came
(parts guys might assume you have a manual after u ask for a flywheel)

Last edited by justinny; 09-24-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by justinny
lol im a 5th gen guy but i was pokin around
just fyi an automatic doesnt have a flywheel only manuals do
automatics have a "drive plate"

it would suck to order a flywheel for your automatic and realize your mistake after it came
(parts guys might assume you have a manual after u ask for a flywheel)
I learned something new today

I did get the crankshaft pulley off last night. I rented a 10" 3-ton puller and had it off in less then 10 minutes

I actually needed to do the same thing on my 300ZX at the same time (ironically). I had rented a seperate, more standard pulley that uses bolts instead of the claw type. Well, the claw type worked so well I used it instead and it came off in about 5 minutes too.

Thanks again for everyones advice!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I love lamp.

Damn! i see it now.

For some reason i was seeing the word "impact" I think i need more sleep.

Sorry,my bad .

lol, no worries. I was scratching my head for a while there.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:31 AM

I finished the timing belt job last night and everything worked out great! Thanks again for the advice
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 PM

Glad it worked out for you. It's good to see people active on this forum.

I was somewhat intimidated doing it myself, but not willing to pay somebody else top dollar to do it for me. I found 90% of the information that I couldn't find in a haynes manual on this forum. There is a little more to it than what is in the book.

Since I live in a state where import shops aren't that common, I figured I saved at the minimum $500, and at the most $1000 for about 8 hours of work and $150ish in parts. I could do it again in maybe half the time.

I'm sure feels good to drive around knowing that you're not on the edge of your engine toasting itself due to a blown belt.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fatty Matty
I'm sure feels good to drive around knowing that you're not on the edge of your engine toasting itself due to a blown belt.
Amen to that! My Max is in great shape inside and out, but the previous owner couldn't tell me when the last time the timing belt had changed, and they had the car for many years

It does feel great to know that I have saved the money, and that I could do it again! I also have an 85 300ZX with the same motor that I am very passionate about. This enables me to do the same work to it as well

I am really happy with the end result and it's good to know that it was done by someone who cared about the long term of this car...me!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 AM

screw driver always worked for me
Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by redlobster
screw driver always worked for me
Screw driver worked for the tightening, but not for the loosening. I used an impact wrench to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. Just couldn't get the screw driver to stick. Worked great for holding the flywheel in place for tightening however. Max is still doing great with the recently replaced timing belt. I'm doing some additional suspension and brake work to it now. It's almost perfect! Love this car...