1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

New thread for Maxwell

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:10 AM

New thread for Maxwell

Quote from Maxwell Smart :

"I dig the way your car sits. What is the wheel/tire combo you are running and is it lowered? Which springs/shocks? Also how does your exhaust sound with the Flowmaster? Which series are you running? I have a Flowmaster on my Land Cruiser and love the sound, but would like some imput from another Maxima owner before I take the plung.

Mark-c, sorry for bootlegging your thread, but I'm a newbie and I can't post topics as yet."

The front is lowered about an inch with spring clamps, and the rear is lowered by sub box, otherwise it's stock. The rims are 16" Riken mesh, unsure of the offset but they came off an RX/7. They do stick out of the wheelwells just slightly, and are wrapped with 205-55 Toyo FZ-4's. The muffler is a 40 series. I don't have any really good sound clips of the muffler, just a really short one, and a burnout video that really has more induction noise than exhaust.

Right click/save as-

The muffler clip:
http://www3.telus.net/vhead/photos2/MOV00120.MPG
The burnout video:
http://www3.telus.net/vhead/photos2/MOV01295.MPG
Old 11-22-2005, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the post/response. I don't have the technology to view/listen to the MPGs (which sucks). If you could describe the exhaust (at idle, under acceleration and at cruise), I'd be appreciative. I've got some stock-type exhaust on it now and its so quiet I can't can't even tell that its running and figure there has to be some performance gains in the muffler/exhaust, but want to make sure its not going to sound like a ricey Civic. Thanks man.

I assume you had the ebrake going when you did this burnout?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM

Yep, pulled up the parking brake and smoked em till they were bald. The Flowmaster sounds really good on a VG30, a bit of rumble at idle but not too loud. Under acceleration it gets a lot louder, but not all slappy like a fart can on a civic. It's pretty deep sounding and does drone a bit inside the car but not excessively. I think I'm the only person here running a flowmaster, the Magnaflows seem to be the popular choice around here, and sound similar but quieter.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:46 PM

awsome possum man... my cars outa tune so much i can barely get em to chirp....but a slew of new stuffs getting installed soon
Old 11-23-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by wylie-c
Yep, pulled up the parking brake and smoked em till they were bald. The Flowmaster sounds really good on a VG30, a bit of rumble at idle but not too loud. Under acceleration it gets a lot louder, but not all slappy like a fart can on a civic. It's pretty deep sounding and does drone a bit inside the car but not excessively. I think I'm the only person here running a flowmaster, the Magnaflows seem to be the popular choice around here, and sound similar but quieter.
Thanks man. That is the exact info I needed. I think I'll go 50 series to keep the noise down. I've thought about Magnaflow, but I think they are fiberglass insulated and will blow out after a time where the Flowmaster remains constant.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:45 PM

isnt it a little unsafe to do a burnout in a garage, or at least facing into the garage, i mean what if your e brake where to let go.

It is a sweet video tho
Old 11-26-2005, 08:08 PM

Nah, there was a good 100' in front of me. It's a big shop.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by wylie-c
thats a flowbastard on your max? That sounds awesome! I'm gonna seriously consider that mod!

P.S. VERY nice burnout!