1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 01:01 AM

HID conversion uploaded pics of progress so far (56k beware of long load time)

I am in the process of doing an HID conversion to my car, with a metal reflector from an infinity. Got all the parts I need from the junkyard today (half off sale) including spare headlights and such. The thing I wanted to know is, when I am done with the mounting and placement of ballast, and the igniter. Should I just wire it to my stock wiring system?, or should I take the power directly from the battery with a relay to switch the lights on and off? any help would be appreciated.

Legal: This is a purely optional retrofit. Check state and local laws for legality concerning this. For OFF ROAD use only. I in no way am endorsing anyone else replicating this project. Do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:07 AM
KH3 by popular demand

You will need a wiring harness. The stock wiring is not set up for that amount of current draw. Ballasts can sometimes draw upwards of 80 amps on start up. There is a lighting faq link in my sig, click on it and it will show you what the wiring harness should look like. Pretty simple if you have a little experience with wiring, like if you ever installed your own amps etc. If anything I have some parts coming in and will be making like 10 harnesses.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:32 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

hid??? y not just add projectors if you want some i can get you some i think not xenons tho...
Old 10-22-2005, 08:00 PM
I love lamp.

Just adding projectors isn't good enough in my opinion. Even with projectors, halogen just suck in general. I can say just doing HID's alone already outweighs halogen projectors.

S
Old 10-22-2005, 09:53 PM

The HIDs I have are the stock ones from an infiniti, so they are pretty bright( not in color temp, but in lumens it puts out). I am also going to see if I can fit the stock metal reflector from that same car into the stock housing of mine. I already have the maxima headlights I will modify (housing,brackets and all), just need to find the time to do it. Is it possible to use windshield caulk to reseal my headlights after I am done? I am going to leave them so I can aim the lights with my stock adjustment screws on the brackets. I will try to post pics of the process and a possible write-up with the info (if I can remember the specific details of model, year, etc) . I think I might try to switch to projectors to use with my HID system later, but only after I have them installed for a while.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:33 PM

I will keep this thread in mind after I fix the fuel pump that is screaming like a dieing pig.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 PM

I will try to have a write-up after I am done, and try to sticky it
Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Just adding projectors isn't good enough in my opinion. Even with projectors, halogen just suck in general. I can say just doing HID's alone already outweighs halogen projectors.

S
I know you love ur HID's, but that's in a Volvo which already had better headlights than an ol max. I really wouldn't HID mine because I know how blinding they already are to drive in front of, while putting next to nothing on the road. I think projectors would be a step up, and would give you the option of upgrading to HID after that without the increase in glare. As long as you do some research into which halogen projectors take to retrofitting well. Personally , I have a set from a Volvo VN ( truck ) which are also the ones used in the Acura MDX and are made by Stanley. Apparently over on HIDPlanet they are quite popular for retrofitting with HID capsules. My .02c anyways.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:36 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

well whatever you do keep us posted cuz im still looking for a hid kit (XENON) bulbs and ballast.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:27 PM

yeah people that put hids in non projector headlights really make it hard to see at night for other drivers. withthose hids in your stock 2nd gen its gonna be one giant crazy bright blob.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
I love lamp.

I've actually yet to have a problem with that. I have a noticeable cutoff on the volvo...though not perfectly straight. They are D2R bulbs with the base machined for use in a 9006...so the arc sits in the most optimal spot. I've yet to have someone flash me/complain about light. But then again, the Volvo has superior housings (they were pretty good with halogen bulbs) compared to the 2nd or 3rd gens.

S
Old 11-10-2005, 05:54 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

i have 9007 bulbs and 9006 parking lights complelty re wired, look good,, pics someday
i also painted inside of the headlight , using dupi chrome its ok, better than it was
Old 11-11-2005, 09:29 PM

well on the subject of blinding people, it is well known to those that have had conversions done professionally that you have to make the cutoff a bit lower than you would a normal lighting situation. I am going to be using some stock infinity HID reflector, and I am in the process of buying an HID bulb shield that will make sure that most of my light hits the road and not straight ahead. BTW I am not converting to the blue-ish or purple HID system that BMWs have, I am switching to a stock 4300K (I think that is the correct kelvin bulb color temp) HID that is on infinities. Which makes it DOT legal and all. I am still contemplating going to projectors at a later date, but only after this conversion is done; and only if I there is a noticable problem with glare. There should be no major issue buying retrofit kits as long as you go for the ones that have the lower color temp. You should try to stay as close as possible to the stock color temp that most new cars have. Phillips is a good company to buy from, in fact the infinity ones that I bought are phillips. Now if I could only find the time to do it (college, work, etc)
Old 11-20-2005, 09:26 PM

56k users beware

the conversion is coming close to finally being done. I have the reflectors in with the bulb shield;which was a hassle to put in. Tomorrow the electrician is going to wire up the HID system to my car. I will have pics up of the install soon after that.

here are some photos so far (56k beware)

Old 11-21-2005, 07:00 PM

here are some more

Can an admin sticky this one or something for those people who would like to use it for reference?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:13 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

i think that the glare is gonna blind ppl
Old 11-23-2005, 03:56 PM
I love lamp.

Which infinity is that off?

S
Old 11-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Sarin: i think it was from a 1998 infinity i35. I used only part of the reflector, and the stock HID bulb shield.

Big E Dog: The stock HID bulb shield that I am using forces the light downward by bouncing it downward and not letting it shine forward directly.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:57 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

i wish i would of done this to myne, my job was crappy , and i got water in my heads, and i still cant see anything.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:02 PM

surraTT: you have already done an HID upgrade?

Everyone else: The only problem that I have now is that they are facing in weird opposite directions. Which adjustment screw is the one to go up and down?(one closest to the grill?) and which one is to left to right?(one on top and closest to the fender?)
Old 11-25-2005, 10:21 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

na i done the 9007 and 9006 bulb and rewire coneversion

also i painted inside my headlights , they now have water in em

idk what to do

i might buy the new lights from ebay
Old 11-26-2005, 01:12 PM
I love lamp.

So the reflector portion appears to be covered. However it looks like you're trying to hybrid them with the existing reflector. Be careful of that. Next problem you will have is figuring out how the lense is going to scatter the light. It might cause the light to blob, so be warned.

S
Old 11-26-2005, 03:38 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

the screw on top goes in and out or up and down and the scred on the bottom goes side to side or in and out.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:40 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

the screw on top goes in and out or up and down and the scred on the bottom goes side to side or in and out. maybee you should go on e-bay and look for some xenon projectors cuz' as i see it you got over the hard part which is gettin the bulbs and ballasts.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:50 PM

yeah my next step is to get the projectors. I just need to find ones that can take a d2r retrofit well. With projectors, the HID light just scatters better. So far I only have a problem with the right side HID light output blobbing up a bit in 2 places. No problems with glare yet.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:50 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

theyre are projectors that can take D2R fairl avaliable youre gonna have to chop up the light housing a bit take off the glass and replase it with a 1/4th inch acrylic sheet check out what i did cuz i have a feeling that you are gonna go the same route theyre are a lot og other ppl in the 4th gen and 5th gen forums that have done xenon(hid) retros it would be sufficent to pay the 20 dollars and search tho.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:54 PM
I love lamp.

If you do projectors, I'd much recommend D2S bulbs instead.

S
Old 12-01-2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by rogertight
Sarin: i think it was from a 1998 infinity i35. I used only part of the reflector, and the stock HID bulb shield.

Big E Dog: The stock HID bulb shield that I am using forces the light downward by bouncing it downward and not letting it shine forward directly.
In 1998 there was no I35, only I30 and HID was not an option not even for the I30t model. I35 didn't come until around 2002
Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by rogertight
well on the subject of blinding people, it is well known to those that have had conversions done professionally that you have to make the cutoff a bit lower than you would a normal lighting situation. I am going to be using some stock infinity HID reflector, and I am in the process of buying an HID bulb shield that will make sure that most of my light hits the road and not straight ahead. BTW I am not converting to the blue-ish or purple HID system that BMWs have, I am switching to a stock 4300K (I think that is the correct kelvin bulb color temp) HID that is on infinities. Which makes it DOT legal and all. )
BMW's use 4300K rated bulbs. The color you see is from the projectors.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:29 PM

most companies, including infinity have the option of using 4300K on the HID(at least this one did) The color can also be seen if you have regular reflectors as well, just that there isn't such a sharp contrast between when you see the color and the white light those put out. Most of the time when you have 8000K or 12000K HIDs on reflectors, the light will either have a slight bluish tint (8000K) or a violet tint (12000K) to it all of the time.

Sarin: yeah I heard that D2S bulbs are way better with projectors. Due to the fact that D2R have that heat resistant paint on a spot on the top to try and prevent glare issues. Until I can get D2S bulbs, though, I am stuck with the D2R bulbs I have. Guess it should have thought ahead and done the whole projector thing first And I heard that HID bulbs become highly explosive if handled wrong(body oils get on it,grime,etc), I hope I didn't leave fingerprints
Old 12-03-2005, 12:17 AM

this goes way beyond my comfort with screwing arround with electrical stuff....but good luck...dont fry nothing
Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 AM

No frying of any wires yet, luckily. My battery doesn't maintain its charge as well as it used to though. I seemed to have overlooked the fact that the HID system uses about 17amps when my old system used 10amps. Not only that, but I also have a 1100watt sub box in the trunk. Maybe I have done too much I am going to an alternator shop to get my alternator beefed up to handle the high drain that my car now has. Here come the high expenses It is all worth it though
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 AM

get a capacitor for the subs, it should help with some of the drain
Old 12-04-2005, 12:18 AM

how many farads should it have for use on an 1100 watt system?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 AM

i dont know i just know a capacitor helps
Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 PM

get a 1fared cap. and a higher cc.(cold cranking amp) battery
Old 12-06-2005, 05:23 PM
I love lamp.

Red top time.

S
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 PM

I think I will get the red top after I find some projectors to place on my car. Also, I am thinking that I am going to beef up the alternator anyways, so I may not need the redtop necessarily.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:13 PM

Or a yellow top
Old 12-24-2005, 03:15 PM

I just bought some xenon projectors from e-bay. Still waiting for them to arrive. When they come I will have to do some fitting so I can see how they will look in my car. After that comes the buying of some D2S bulbs and then I am set . If all goes well the light output of the projectors will be a vast improvement to my hybridized reflectors. Also, Big E-Dog, if I can't find your post about the Projector conversion, I would appreciate it if you can post a link for it in this thread. Happy Holidays and a Happy new year to all

Quick Reply: HID conversion