1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

carpet kit/speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:52 AM

carpet kit/speakers

Has anyone ever replaced the stock carpet in your Max? I have an 87 Max and I want to change my interior scheme to black. I want to order a carpet kit but I just wanted to get some thoughts on how easy or not it was to install or if they even fit correctly? I also want to upgrade my rear speakers and Im thinkin about cutting some metal and installing 6x9's. Has anyone had an experiences with the Infinity Kappa's?? I dont want sub's yet but just something that will give me a little bit more base without having to put in an amp. If there is something out there better, please let me know. Thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 06:03 AM

I have seen some 6 x 9 that pack quite a punch, with a strong enough head unit. Te carpet, I removed one from a second gen I parted out. I had to remove the front seats and the rear, also the plastic pieces in the middle (console) and the ones where the radio goes. It was easy for me because I chopped off the roof of the car with an axe it was quite fun LOL but yeah Im sure everyone would tell you you have t remove seats. I personally would have someone else handle it..but If i had time well why not
Old 05-18-2004, 06:39 AM

Most any good quality 6x9 will give you some good punch mounted on a rear deck, but it is going to need a decent amount of power to do it. All the 6x9's I've ever had have been a little more demanding than say a typical 5-1/4" speaker. If you have a newer deck that puts out 45w x 4 or higher you should be ok, but a small amp would still be better. Head units NEVER put out the claimed watts! When they say 45x4 or whatever, that is the maximum peak, not the usable rms power. A good choice for some deck mounted 6x9's would be around 75 watts each. Having more power doesn't have to mean louder, but also cleaner sound at lower volumes as well as more woofer control when hitting lows.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:43 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by maximumrideus
Has anyone ever replaced the stock carpet in your Max? I have an 87 Max and I want to change my interior scheme to black. I want to order a carpet kit but I just wanted to get some thoughts on how easy or not it was to install or if they even fit correctly? I also want to upgrade my rear speakers and Im thinkin about cutting some metal and installing 6x9's. Has anyone had an experiences with the Infinity Kappa's?? I dont want sub's yet but just something that will give me a little bit more base without having to put in an amp. If there is something out there better, please let me know. Thanks
I think there is a place that sells replacement carpet that is preformed for the car. I'm not sure if they have black though. There is a link on the 2nd gen yahoo group, click on the link in my sig. 6x9's are a good way to get some bass without subs. Definately want to cut out the rear deck to fit them, but besure you seal off the open sections...you can probably make a custom plywood bracket for that, as well maybe put it in a baffle.

Infinity Kappa's are pretty good speakers. They use to be the best things you can find a few years back, but now there are some better, but quite a bit more spendy speakers (like Diamond Hex's). Either way good choice of speakers.

BTW, I have a 4ch PPI amp for sale that you can use to run the 6x9's. It's a PPI Art Series A404. Only problem is the rear channel doesn't work. Only the front 2 channel work, but that still 2 x 100 watts.

S
Old 05-19-2004, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
I think there is a place that sells replacement carpet that is preformed for the car. I'm not sure if they have black though. There is a link on the 2nd gen yahoo group, click on the link in my sig. 6x9's are a good way to get some bass without subs. Definately want to cut out the rear deck to fit them, but besure you seal off the open sections...you can probably make a custom plywood bracket for that, as well maybe put it in a baffle.

Infinity Kappa's are pretty good speakers. They use to be the best things you can find a few years back, but now there are some better, but quite a bit more spendy speakers (like Diamond Hex's). Either way good choice of speakers.

BTW, I have a 4ch PPI amp for sale that you can use to run the 6x9's. It's a PPI Art Series A404. Only problem is the rear channel doesn't work. Only the front 2 channel work, but that still 2 x 100 watts.

S
Thanks for the replys. I bought some Infinity Kappa 693.5I's. They are 6x9 so we will see how those do. As far as the carpet goes. Yes I saw the link for the carpet kits but I just wanted to know if anyone had ever put one in. They say it is custom molded but I just wanted to make sure they fit ok by someone who had done it. I dont want to rip everything out and then have a ****ty fit from the new carpet. the interior is going to black this weekend.....
Old 05-19-2004, 06:30 AM
I love lamp.

Werd.

S
Old 05-19-2004, 06:49 AM

Pics Please!!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:03 PM

I was thinking about putting some 6x9's in my car too, so definitely let us know how it works, how hard/easy it was etc. good luck.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by turboast4
I was thinking about putting some 6x9's in my car too, so definitely let us know how it works, how hard/easy it was etc. good luck.
Started putting in the 6x9's yesterday. So far I dont think its to bad. I opened one hole already to fit the first speaker. Had to do a bit of cutting. Definitely get some kind of Dremel tool if you are going to try this. I had to take out the back seat which I wasnt expecting but you have to in order to get to everything. They hid 2 of the screws for the factory speakers under the carpet on the rear deck and the only way to remove that strip of carpet is to take the seat loose or out!! Will give you more updates when its done.