1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

KALSC's link to current turbo project for 2nd gen.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

KALSC's link to current turbo project for 2nd gen.

Kalsc's current building of his vg30et on a 2nd gen max.
http://www.sqntech.com/maxima/
Old 12-19-2002, 09:24 PM

Just a quick reminder.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to remind everyone to keep checking the site where the info is. I am making almost daily updates with pictures and text. Things are moving along swiftly now as I am nearing completion. I have set up a new interface for the site, it should make it a little more user friendly! Cheers!
Old 03-14-2003, 06:02 PM

All is well.

Finally got all the bugs sorted out. Dealing with used parts is a real PITA. Between the starter, the FPR, the injectors and the 02 sensor, and a faulty CHTS there was a plethora of issues to deal with. As I mentioned in another thread, because my 02 sensor failed and because on our cars the 02 sensor is active right away, it sent my car into an over rich condition and totally wrecked my new plugs. Talk about about process of elimination to find that gremlin.

Now that I have all that sorted out, I have never seen this car since the swap with so much power. I took a mechanic (20 years licensed) who has worked on the 300's and he was somewhat stunned. The car really pulls at only 6psi. I think the cam profile I chose really helped as well.

I am going to give the car another week or two steady driving with it's new found power and reliability and then start to increase the boost (within reason of course).

All in all, I am VERY pleased with this swap and highly recommend it. The blowoff valve we made (fully machined with teflon piston) works flawlessly. I currently have it venting to the atmosphere and do not have ANY of the stumbling issue people go on and on about. When she pops she pops!!! The turbo stays spooled up and then bam!!! The next gear just eats up the power. It's awesome.

My wife is quite pleased with her car. :-)
Old 03-14-2003, 07:05 PM
I love lamp.

Re: All is well.

Man...I have a friend with a super-charge 4th gen. I rode in it and it's fast! Now I want to go that fast in my car too. Avalon42 is thinking of getting another 88 Max, and doing turboing a VG33E. I'm thinking of going that route too. You definately made me jealous!

S
Old 03-14-2003, 07:26 PM

Supercharging

Supercharging is all good, but considering you have to make more power just to get more power, that doesn't sit well with me. Most super chargers take 40 - 60 hp from the crank just to drive the compressor. That's a lot of ponies being swiped. I like the 'free' energy concept of a turbo. Sure, there is a little bit of turbo lag, but nothing like you hear people go on and on about. Honestly speaking, with the way I have the timing set and these other cams, even with the lower compression engine, the off throttle repsonse is quite impressive! Then as the turbo spools up and kicks in . . . well . . . the car starts to lean back, I get pushed back in my seat and other people eat my dust. Hehehe! I've made a few guys look twice while on the freeway. Nice little 'vintage' 4 door sedan kicks their butt. LOL! Love it.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:20 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Supercharging

Originally posted by KALSC
Supercharging is all good, but considering you have to make more power just to get more power, that doesn't sit well with me. Most super chargers take 40 - 60 hp from the crank just to drive the compressor. That's a lot of ponies being swiped. I like the 'free' energy concept of a turbo. Sure, there is a little bit of turbo lag, but nothing like you hear people go on and on about. Honestly speaking, with the way I have the timing set and these other cams, even with the lower compression engine, the off throttle repsonse is quite impressive! Then as the turbo spools up and kicks in . . . well . . . the car starts to lean back, I get pushed back in my seat and other people eat my dust. Hehehe! I've made a few guys look twice while on the freeway. Nice little 'vintage' 4 door sedan kicks their butt. LOL! Love it.
BTW, when you going to get new pics up! I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting....Post some pics of your entire car while your at it!

S
Old 03-14-2003, 08:45 PM

K.

I will take some digital pics tomorrow and update my page. :-)
Old 03-14-2003, 09:45 PM
I love lamp.

Re: K.

Originally posted by KALSC
I will take some digital pics tomorrow and update my page. :-)
Sweet!
Old 03-15-2003, 06:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: K.

Originally posted by maximase86

Sweet!
Old 03-16-2003, 03:21 PM

Pics

Sorry guys, the weather here has been rather crappy. We had a truckload of snow and then it got warm, hence the roads got really sloppy. I was going to take some pics today but we got more darn snow. Things should clear up and get sunny over the next couple days. Then I can wash the car (and it will stay clean!) and take some pics.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:23 AM

Oooops.

Been a little tardy on posting the pics. Been in the planning stages for the second turbo on this baby. Just got the intercoolers in and have been welding on the new tanks.

An electrical engineer friend is beta testing his auxiliary fuel management system. This unit is boost referenced, rpm referenced and O2 sensor referenced and controls from 1 to 8 additional injectors. Very awesome!!! Going to be testing the unit on Maximus soon.

The blow off valve we built is working beautifully. Ready for production and sale.

I have to admit, this whole "don't vent to the atmosphere cause your car will run like ****" thing is a farse man. I have done everything I can to get my car to run like crap since I put on the BOV and am just venting to the atmosphere, but it doesn't skip a heart beat. I can be in the middle of a 220kmh pull and lay off with the car settling gently into an idle. By the way, even at 220kmh the car is still accelerating.

DISCLAIMER: Above speed runs are TRACK tested.

Started buliding the mandrel bend 3" exhaust. Need to open it right up for the twin turbo set up. Can't wait!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 03:03 PM
I love lamp.

Wow, haven't seen much lately on this....how's it going with this KALSC?

S
Old 08-19-2004, 09:13 PM

Back again. Sorry to say the turbo maxima project is going to be sold. My other turbo project is going to become my focus. This is one of the reasons you haven't heard much from me lately.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:16 PM

Sorry to hear that man. I was wondering where you were. Whats the new project?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:53 AM

The new project is my 88 Lincoln Mark VII. It's getting a stroked 302 with twin turbos wtih a blow through carb configuration. The car is going from AOD to 5-speed. Already have the suspension rebuilt, aluminum driveshaft and a Detroit Locker with 4.11's is the rear, 31 sppline moser axles, etc. When done, the car will walk through mid 10's.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:10 AM

Yes
That sounds fun.
Ive always wanted a grand national.
Or at least the engine of a grand national,those things haul. Just about any old school buick is a fun ride. I wonder why I hardly hear of people fixing those up.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:44 AM
I love lamp.

I hear about those getting fixed up all the time. Now there's a car that can spank V8's.....really hard!

S
Old 09-21-2004, 09:21 AM

Hey S

Hows it comin along man?
I got all the parts sourced out I just need the cash to get them now.
Whats your time line?
At this rate I wont start getting the pieces till december.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:27 PM

hey guys - I just joined this website - I figured that since I'm a few weeks away from my 1986 Maxima finally running - that I should start asking questions. I saw the thread about the turbo and I finally found a little adrenaline going thru my veins. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my car, but compared to my friends' Mustang, SVT Contour, Talon, and a WRX that can spank a STI - my car kinda shurks away. Yet... since I saw this thread, I keep finding a little smile on my face everytime one of my friends pull up. The only problem with my car at the moment is the alternator is totally shot. So I figure I'll be spending a bit of time after work installing a new one. NE advice? Guess I'll talk to you all later-
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 PM

Whoa , How long has it been since your site has been really updated ? And i was thinking could you make a video of your acing , Or just driving around or even you Reving the engine up , and pictures of the car , A guy asked for some what 2-3 years ago??

Thanks .
Old 05-03-2006, 10:13 AM

So whatever happened to the pics of the turboed Max '88? I'd really like to see them. Cheers.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Is the op NISMO87SE?? from the old school