General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Light weight valve spring retainers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Light weight valve spring retainers

So ya want to turn 7200rpm with out valve float, but ya dont wana poney up for the JWT springs and retainers, have I got the thing for you.

Over the past several days I have been researching valve train components for my VQ build up. I dont plan on running cams, with FI the gains arent worth the $$$$. But I would like to turn up the RPMs to 7200. More valve spring pressure and light retainers would be a great thing. I tore down my set of junk VQ30 heads and mic'd the parts. I also have a set of VQ35 heads from an 02 Max, I tore those down and mic'd them. Valves and lifters are different, already new that. As it turns out valve springs are the same, but the valve spring retainers are not... The VQ35 retainers are made from 2024 aluminum alloy, a high strength aluminum about as strong as mild steel but at 1/2 the weight. VQ30 retainers weigh ~8g, VQ35's ~5g, they are even lighter than titanium. I spoke with Ferrea Racing who makes allot of performance valve train components about using 2024 Al instead of Ti, they said it is becoming widely used by the OE's in high reving imports. I asked if they thought it would be durable for high lift, high spring pressure and high RPM. I was told that as long as its close to factory spec it would be fine, but to go with big cam, heavy duty springs, and hi revs they would recomend steel for street or Ti for race. I asked what about for just high revs and mild spring pressure. They thought it would be fine. So I priced the retainers for the VQ35, they are ~$1.80ea (less if you got a hook up ) WOW. So my plan is for a 7200rpm limit on the built motor with the VQ35 retainers and to shim the stock valve springs to increase the spring rate slightly. Their is a small washer that the spring sits in on in the head, you can just double up these for a little more spring pressure. Is this worth power, not allot, but it will let the motor rev free'er and be cheep insurance against valve float. If you wana do the cams you should either stick with steel or Ti for the retainers, shiming the OE springs might work ok too. But my research shows that the Supra springs and Ti retainers available from Crower will fit and work just fine Allot cheeper than JWT also.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:41 PM

So, what is your setup with the vq35 gonna be?
Old 05-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Re: Light weight valve spring retainers

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
But my research shows that the Supra springs and Ti retainers available from Crower will fit and work just fine Allot cheeper than JWT also. [/B]
So what your saying is stock supra springs and Ti retainers from crower that are made for the supra . Would you say the stock supra springs would take around a 7700rpm limit.Thanks
Old 05-28-2003, 04:04 PM

wooooh! although I dont ever plan on doing anything like this, this is a new chapter in the max modding world! THANK YOU!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 07:28 PM
wat

Re: Light weight valve spring retainers

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
So ya want to turn 7200rpm with out valve float, but ya dont wana poney up for the JWT springs and retainers, have I got the thing for you.

Over the past several days I have been researching valve train components for my VQ build up. I dont plan on running cams, with FI the gains arent worth the $$$$. But I would like to turn up the RPMs to 7200. More valve spring pressure and light retainers would be a great thing. I tore down my set of junk VQ30 heads and mic'd the parts. I also have a set of VQ35 heads from an 02 Max, I tore those down and mic'd them. Valves and lifters are different, already new that. As it turns out valve springs are the same, but the valve spring retainers are not... The VQ35 retainers are made from 2024 aluminum alloy, a high strength aluminum about as strong as mild steel but at 1/2 the weight. VQ30 retainers weigh ~8g, VQ35's ~5g, they are even lighter than titanium. I spoke with Ferrea Racing who makes allot of performance valve train components about using 2024 Al instead of Ti, they said it is becoming widely used by the OE's in high reving imports. I asked if they thought it would be durable for high lift, high spring pressure and high RPM. I was told that as long as its close to factory spec it would be fine, but to go with big cam, heavy duty springs, and hi revs they would recomend steel for street or Ti for race. I asked what about for just high revs and mild spring pressure. They thought it would be fine. So I priced the retainers for the VQ35, they are ~$1.80ea (less if you got a hook up ) WOW. So my plan is for a 7200rpm limit on the built motor with the VQ35 retainers and to shim the stock valve springs to increase the spring rate slightly. Their is a small washer that the spring sits in on in the head, you can just double up these for a little more spring pressure. Is this worth power, not allot, but it will let the motor rev free'er and be cheep insurance against valve float. If you wana do the cams you should either stick with steel or Ti for the retainers, shiming the OE springs might work ok too. But my research shows that the Supra springs and Ti retainers available from Crower will fit and work just fine Allot cheeper than JWT also.
Cool. Thanks for the info. One question...the Supra Springs you are referring to...are they from a particular engine build or model year?
Old 05-29-2003, 06:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Light weight valve spring retainers

Originally posted by look2me40

Cool. Thanks for the info. One question...the Supra Springs you are referring to...are they from a particular engine build or model year?
Check www.crower.com
Old 05-29-2003, 07:26 AM

since most nissan DOHC V6s are pretty close, will these work on a VE? also whats the approximate price of all springs and retainers?